Shannon Tweed misses Newfoundland, appears in 'Republic of Doyle' episode

Tara
Tara Bradbury

Shannon Tweed takes a break during the filming of a

She's blonde, beautiful, and very ... blunt. After performing with KISS for a crowd of 22,000 in the pouring rain in Grand Falls-Windsor last Saturday night, Gene Simmons and his common-law wife, Shannon Tweed, are in St. John's this week.

Tweed, a native of Markland, just beyond Whitbourne, is filming a guest appearance on CBC's "Republic of Doyle," to air when the new season starts in January.

Dressed in black and brandishing a gun, Tweed plays Frances Dormond, a kidnapper with a connection to Rose (played by Linda Boyd).

Chatting with The Telegram between takes, Tweed - who did her own hair and makeup on set, saying, "I'm not good with attention much; I don't like a lot of pampering" - said she got the gig after meeting "Doyle" co-creator, co-producer and co-star Allan Hawco at last year's Genie Awards.

She admitted she's never seen the show, since the United States is one of the few countries where it isn't broadcast, and showed she and Simmons are on the same business-like page when it comes to her reasons for being there.

"They're paying me," she said, then laughed. "What do you want me to say? Love of the art? No. That's why everyone else is here, too. You get an agent, you get parts and you get paid - it's how it works.

"It doesn't really matter," she continued, when asked if she liked her role on the show. "It's either that or flipping burgers, right? You could wait tables, or you could do this. But it's fun, you get to dip your toes back into the world and see what happens."

Tweed left Newfoundland for Saskatchewan with her family when she was 11, and although she still has family and friends here, this is the first time she's been back since 1982.

There were rumours circulating that she and Simmons might film episodes of their A&E reality TV program "Gene Simmons' Family Jewels" while here, but they're not; their kids, Nick, 22, and Sophie, 18, aren't with them.

Nick is home in Los Angeles, Tweed said, while Sophie is on vacation at the family's home in Whistler, B.C.

Tweed is a former model, perhaps best known as Playboy's Playmate of the Year for 1982, and a seasoned actress, having appeared on shows such as "Days of our Lives" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" in the 1980s, as well as more than 60 films.

It's not surprising that she's getting flack from some "Family Jewels" viewers for using her acting skills to fake scenes on the show to increase ratings.

Days before the premiere of the show's latest season, Tweed told interviewers her relationship with Simmons, with whom she's been living common-law since 1985, had "unravelled," and walked off the set of "The Joy Behar Show" after Simmons joked about cheating on her.

"It's over. It's so rude of you to joke about it," she told Simmons, calling him a pig.

"I don't really care what they think," Tweed told The Telegram about viewers who've messaged her on Twitter, accusing her and Simmons of acting out their marital strife as a publicity stunt. "If you don't like it, don't watch. It's hard - it's not an act. I really haven't got the time or patience to defend myself to people. I really can't be bothered.

"You try to keep someone interested for 28 years and see how you'd do, all you f--king complainers. And then try to raise normal kids in Hollywood. I think I've done pretty good."

Tweed said it's not easy going through it all on TV, or reliving it when it airs. The first few episodes of this season of the show, the couple has been seen working with a therapist, together and separately, to address their problems.

Tweed told The Telegram Simmons also agreed to family therapy, although it's not going well.

Simmons is not a talker, Tweed said, and will only discuss what's going on when forced to. Although the show makes it seem like the problems stem from a photo of Simmons with two girls, it's more than that, she said.

"I don't care about pictures, I care about real people," she said. "It's when things become real that it pisses me off. I wish someone had let me know it was an open relationship. If I'd have known, I'd have been doing the same thing, but he didn't let me in on the secret. That's what makes me the angriest."

Tweed said Simmons has stopped cheating since she threatened to leave and has a good sense of why she's upset - but still hasn't admitted he's done anything wrong. Things won't get better until that happens, she said.

"He's still lumping himself into groups, like, 'We men. We're not made that way,'" she said. "Don't say 'we.' I don't want to hear about other men. I don't care what other men do. I'm not interested in going out with a boy. He can't get to, 'I f--ked up and I'm sorry,' and that's when it's going to change."

Simmons, who had been on the "Doyle" set with Tweed earlier in the day, was unavailable for interviews.

He's been reticent when talking about his relationship with Tweed in the media, but has acknowledged things aren't great, blaming his rock 'n' roll lifestyle, the fact that he's surrounded by beautiful women and, "You can be an ugly SOB ... and women will still throw themselves at you."

He's said he wants to work things out with Tweed, although Tweed said she's not holding on much longer.

"I've been trying for a long, long time," she said. "I hope for an epiphany, but good luck."

Tweed was scheduled to wrap up on the "Doyle" set Tuesday, and she and Simmons are headed for her hometown Thursday before leaving the province Friday.

She's open for another appearance in future "Doyle" episodes, she said, and looks forward to visiting again.

"I do miss it (here), the same as anyone would if they were born somewhere and never went back."

tbradbury@thetelegram.com www.twitter.com/tara_bradbury

Organizations: CBC

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Grand Falls-Windsor, St. John's Markland Whitbourne United States Saskatchewan Los Angeles Whistler Hollywood

Comments

Comments

• Kenner
    January 17, 2012 - 06:26

Firstly, this article is about Tweed's appearance on "Republic of Doyle" - not her reality role on "Family Jewels". I think Alan Hawco made a mistake employing her, if "it's all about the money" is her bad-tempered mantra. She'd better give a stellar performance because otherwise, she doesn't deserve to be on Newfoundland soil, let alone paid for her usual sub-standard acting job. How difficult would it have been, for Tweed to have said, "I was delighted by the prospect of working with a fellow Newfoundlander, and to be back on home soil doing something I love." Since when were being blunt and showing a little class, mutually exclusive?

• Far from home
    October 19, 2011 - 04:16

I have been watching this show since the first season and I find it's like seeing a horrible accident on the highway. You try to look away but it's impossible, it draws you in. I go from feeling so miserable for Shannon, who HAS raised two of the most well adjusted children in a bizarre environment, to thinking that knowing Gene's greed, thinking he thought up the idea for a reality series with a plot and a fairy tale ending. The only thing I can't get is: Do they have mirrors in their house? Gene's pelt /brillo pad helmet head dyed jet black at sixty two. And Shannon you are getting to look like you're stuck in a wind tunnel, ease up on the plastic surgery and age gracefully.

• marlene
    July 22, 2011 - 09:10

she's a very smart woman and she's raised two wonderful children. always liked her and the way she thinks.

• Deb
      July 27, 2011 - 12:21

Shannon has a great head on her shoulders. She has done a awesome and wonderful job with her children, and keeping up with Gene and his ways. We are on her side 500%. Your show is great. My son and I are faithfull watchers. We hope things work out, but only Shannon knows what is best.

• ella dobbin
      October 05, 2011 - 19:16

I believe that when i watch the show where they went on there trip gene was very honest to her i hope they marry; i can't wait for the show next week ;;; take - care

• kevin collins
    July 21, 2011 - 13:18

Would love to meet her...i say this because i was one of the last people to have worked with her father back in the early 80's...was there when he died tragically. All the best Shannon.

• kevin collins
    July 21, 2011 - 13:11

• Mr
    July 20, 2011 - 07:22

She prolly was born in Markland because thats where the hospital was now it's a winery... I remember Tweeds living in Blaketown that had Mink Farms yrs ago . But the hospital for all that area was in Markland

• Mike
    July 19, 2011 - 05:33

If it's one thing I've learned, you don't really need to be educated or talented at anything to become rich and famous...it's true, Gene Simmons couldn't sing for his supper and Shannon couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag...but they have personality, Gene has the whole KISS schtick thing and...well and Shannon likes the schtick! They found their niche in the whole entertainment scene and that alone takes more talent than any singing or acting.

• Dave Ricketts
    July 18, 2011 - 22:12

Right on Shannon Tweed. Welcome back to your roots here in Newfoundland. Hope you have a good visit. Come back again soon but next time without all the publicity. Newfoundland is a great place to come, relax and clear your head when you need some soul searching or maybe even write a book. Long may your Jib draw - {A good wish for the future.}

• Anthony
    July 15, 2011 - 14:34

Yes, she is from Whitbourne, not from Markland as stated in this article. I am from Whitbourne myself, and she lived in my cousin's Aunt's house, my cousin was there yesterday when Shannon decided to stop at her old house for a visit and got pictures with her.

• Victoria
      July 18, 2011 - 10:56

She's from Markland. Go read the posts she made on Twitter while she was here, she said so. And she posted a pic of the winery in Markland, saying it was the house in which she was born.

• Justin Time
    July 14, 2011 - 15:15

I thought her candor about "they're paying me - I act" was a smart way of getting around the question of whether the script was any good or not. She's been trained by the best. But from the looks of her face, not worked on by the best. So unfortunate...but being with Simmons can't be good for your self-esteem.

• Sour Grapes Much?
      August 05, 2013 - 11:08

Seriously? She's stunning! Always has been and always will.

• Kathy
    July 14, 2011 - 12:27

Can't stand reailty shows. It's pretty stupid, you- know to reherse reality

• Donna Hynes
    July 14, 2011 - 06:22

Shannon is a very Beautiful woman,& Gene needs to smarten up.He said it is hard to be surrounded by beautiful women all the time & they are throwing themselves at him because he is a rock star.Well "you can look at the menu, but you don't have to order,".......If you loose her Gene, it's your own fault.

• Martie
    July 14, 2011 - 05:55

@RAVRED: I am not "old school." I was in an abusive marriage and got out of it fifteen years ago. But I can assure you that I certainly did not talk about my marital strife publicly. Can you say "tacky" ????? If Shannon needs to talk about her troubles with Gene (provided the problems are actually real and not just a publicity stunt), she should talk with a therapist and close friends and family.

• canali
    July 14, 2011 - 00:31

a bit of a joke in shannon getting pissed at gene's skirt playing 'other life'....he's been more than open about the 3500 + women he's allegedly to have bedded...all in the papers etc....so now she's having a tiss at all this, yet has nonetheless enjoyed all that wealth and life of the rich and famous...puh-lease...such hypocrisy.

• DON
    July 13, 2011 - 22:51

Take my advice Shannon, you got out of here and became a success, stay out of here if you want to remain a success. If you are foolish enough to come back to Newfoundland you will soon find out that the crowd around here will soon turn on you and try to tear you down to their level. Newfoundland may be a nice place to visit but you would not want to live here!

• Meagan
      July 14, 2011 - 09:39

All I can say is how discussed I am with this comment! If you hate it here so much then leave! It's negative people like you that destroyed the spirit and heart of this province. Besides for gorgeous landscape and rich culture, the people (for the most part) are friendly, warm, and caring. If you don't embrace and love this place then leave! We're better off without people like you anyways.

• BR
    July 13, 2011 - 17:39

Shannon, nice of you to bring Mr. Tweed with you.

• elizabeth evely
      July 22, 2011 - 10:35

shes a strong proud woman..glad to no she stands up for truth,she raised fine kids in la la land,,u go girl ,,and yes it was nice to see your boy friend here,,hope u come back more often,,

• David
    July 13, 2011 - 16:23

Gene Simmons can't sing, and Shannon Tweed can't act. Celebrity hooers, laughing all the way to the bank. Good for them.

• Mae
    July 13, 2011 - 14:20

I also saw Gene at the airport heading out on Monday.........and another error in the story~~ Shannon is from WHITBOURNE, not a town just beyond Whitbourne??? I also feel that she couldn't have missed it too much~ MOST Newfoundlanders bring their children here to visit, especially the ones who could afford to do so! And wasn't there a story in the telegram last Summer saying that they WERE going to film Family Jewels here?? I don't know....kudos to Shannon but there are many other successful Newfoundlanders out there who are probably much better ambassadors of our great province.

• Editor
      July 14, 2011 - 08:30

Editor's note: In the interview for this article, Shannon Tweed said she is from Markland. This, and other information in the story, was based on Tweed’s responses to questions asked her during the interview at that time.

• Gene has concerts this week
    July 13, 2011 - 13:36

according to the online KISS tour schedule, Gene had 3 KISS concerts in the US through this week so it was impossible for him to still be here or in Whitbourne. http://www.kissonline.com/tour/

• Ruth
    July 13, 2011 - 13:21

I saw Gene at the St. John's airport on monday afternoon. He left on a flight to Montreal, so either your story is wrong, or he hit the road early!

• SK
    July 13, 2011 - 12:34

Her directness helped her raise two kids who are smart and will forge their own paths. I hope the show goes off the air --they all need time to grow a little without the spotlight. It's time for the show to be done with. They have said it all.

• Really, Now
    July 13, 2011 - 12:23

I don't think plastic surgery/collagen/whatever is "beautiful".

• Saskatchewan Girl
    July 13, 2011 - 12:16

You can tell Shannon is Canadian, Sensibile, Strong and has done an awesome job in raising her children. I hope things work out for them as a family.

• Dave
    July 13, 2011 - 11:48

LAME!

• zxcz
    July 13, 2011 - 11:29

Once again the Telegram is incorrect. They say she is Gene Simmons Wife, Wrong! She even said she wasn't on the NTV news. The telegram then goes on to say she and Gene will be travelling to Markland Wrong again. If you look Gene is on Tour in the states with concerts today and tomorrow. He has been left NL since monday as i know someone that personally seen him at the airport. I believe the telegram when writing articles need to pay a little more attention to detail. Either way Shannon Tweed you go girl! She is amazing does so much charity work for both Cancer and Animals. She also did a great job raising her kids in Hollywood i think people need to stop bashing her.

• Lucy
      July 13, 2011 - 12:55

Yes, zxcz (if that is indeed your real name), I find it's always a good idea to believe braggings of friends over a newspaper that actually sat down with the subject and asked her what her plans are. The story says COMMON LAW wife. That's what she is.

• Reality Check
    July 13, 2011 - 11:22

Regardless of the outcome of the show Family Jewels, Shannon has done a great job keeping it all together. Most people know that money does not buy happiness. She was the one home ensuring the children were cared for and loved and providing and stable home life despite Gene being on the road doing God knows what. Shannon is not stupid or naive but yet she kept it together for 'the family'. I can only imagine how lonely she must have felt in such a big city with very so few family around her - and two shildren - for all of those years. And those that are around are on the Payroll so do they 'really' care?? Probably not. I doubt we will see their kids in rehab like many other children of famous people so good on her. I suppose Gene deserves some credit in that he was at least discrete enough not to mix his 'other' life with his home life and the children appear to have been protected from the nasty realities of life at a young age. Hopefully they can all work it out so everyone finds some form of happiness. But my admiration goes to Shannon and not Gene. I have to say though that I was a little disappointed that Family Jewels did not shoot any footage in NL. An honourable mention in last night's show would have been nice too.

• Greg
    July 13, 2011 - 10:58

So it took her 30 years to come back, big deal, how many people left and went to McMurray and never came back until they retired. It's often cheaper to bring family to where you are then to go home to a rainy foggy climate (Avalon and South coast). How many women are well off because their husbands have good jobs? Like many people from everywhere in the world, they make some attempt to see where their roots lay. Ms. Tweed didn't leave Nfld because she wanted to, her parents moved her. Leaving at 11 years old I don't thing she has many memories of Nfld so it's great she went back. As for being washed up, they proberly make more in a year than Anonymous could make in a lifetime, I'd like to that washed up, I'm sure a lot of other people would like to be that washed up too. Kudos to Ms Tweed good luck and God bless

• Allison
    July 13, 2011 - 10:53

She is a beautiful woman, and from what I can see from the show, she has certainly raised two excellent kids in Hollywood; recently finished growing up here in Newfoundland, I know first-hand the pressure of it all is hard on a teenager, not alone in LA, and to that I commend her. Hopefully she gets to visit her home again sooner then later. Hold in there Shannon, and look out for #1 (yourself).

• Mike
    July 13, 2011 - 10:29

I was lucky enough to see her while she was here and she looks just as nice in person. I hope she has a great time in our province and comes back more often.

• Susan
      July 13, 2011 - 11:31

Love the show...Shannon and Gene have two wonderful /well rounded / polite/funny/ children...just love seeing them on the show.....I see that they would be a pleasure to be with...you just know they are great kids.....that said... Shannon and Gene...good luck and I hope you can work out whatever your whole family is going through...just like all famillies..there are peaks and valleys...and if one family member is hurting all family members will hurt... I can't imagine having to deal with this in a public way......Love and Support from a Canadian Girl who is proud to Say Shannon is also from Canada...with a street named after her Yahoooooooo!!!1 Way to Go!!!!!

• marge
    July 13, 2011 - 09:29

she is quite the woman for dealing with this all these years...but love will do that to you...i watch your show all the time..have always admired both shannon and gene...you make agreat couple and please god things will work out for the both of you...you both and your kids deserve to be happy together..please gene know that you never miss something till it's gone..and i know you will miss her more than life if she leaves and the kids deserve so much more...good luck to the family..and welcome home shannon..you are a great person

• Martie
    July 13, 2011 - 08:36

Can't imagine wanting to air my dirty laundry in public like that. To each their own.

• Ravred
      July 13, 2011 - 14:22

Yes I guess your're old school my dear and subscribe to the adage that woman should stick to a louse of a man because they're married...or don't talk about abuse in the home against woman and children...well that's why nothing changes...come on over it's fine here in the 21st century..

• MR
    July 13, 2011 - 08:23

Sounds like a sensible girl. Simmons has a job that includes being in the spotlight but don't rub it in her face. Have some respect for the lady. She has Newfie blood and so do the kids. Hope it works out.

• Jean
    July 13, 2011 - 08:08

Nice to see a good strong woman....Welcome home...and btw...no woman deserves to be treated in that way, no matter who, or who he thinks he is..