Comments

Comments

• BB
    February 27, 2013 - 13:50

We used to go to shows at peoples houses, in their living rooms, basements and back yards. And of course the LSPU Hall. That was a great venue!

• Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal
    February 24, 2013 - 12:06

I remember all ages shows when they used to be good. Scottfest, skate-comp, junctions shows and the early metal-fest. I think the real problem with the scene was that A) No one cared about us and B) the music got worse and worse. Case in point, the skate comp was halted by the CBS council. Scottfest just stopped happening and all-ages shows didn't seem too appealing at the Paradise rec center when they wanted to search you before you could get in. Which is why the quarter show was the last all ages show for me. I also lost interest in the scene because the heavier metal bands and the tolerable punk bands were declining and fading out. Flatline broke up, common name broke up, Undefined broke up, Cypryan wasn't on the go anymore. COE was even on the outs long before it all went to crap. It was just replaced with this emo-punk crap that just sounded so linear and repetitive that metal heads were left with no other avenues to mosh and groove. Thankfully since then metal has risen from the ashes and shows are bearable to go to again. But I could care less about the all ages shows - A band will make money at a bar show far easier than they will at an all ages shows and they typically tend to have better times. I wouldn't bother to go to an all-ages shows if it wasn't an outdoor even like the old Skate comp. I feel bad for the kids who are losing their scene. I can remember the few years before I turned 19 where there just wasn't anything good playing the scenes. If the 16 year old me got asked to go to a rocketrocketship show, the guy asking would receive a few expletives in the negatory fashion but it's good to see there's still some youngsters out there determined to bring it back - even if it is punk music.

• Interested Party
    February 23, 2013 - 00:42

I didn't see you at the show...

• Wendy Rose
      February 25, 2013 - 12:14

I unfortunately had to work at my retail job during the show, which deeply saddened me. I did manage to make it out to the all ages battle of the bands at The Frosty Festival in Mount Pearl.

• Realpunkscenefan
    February 22, 2013 - 18:07

I think we need a PUBLICxOPINION

• An All Ages Fan
    February 22, 2013 - 09:12

All age shows are nothing new sure Rocketrocketship have been having all ages shows now for a few years... I went to see them perform a few times with my daughter of course I gave her her space & wasn't standing next to her ...lol, but I did enjoy going to see them even though I'm old enough to be their moms...lol

• josh brown
      February 22, 2013 - 11:51

Yes, rrs have been doing all ages for a while, but that is an entirely. Different music scene all together, that's the poppy teenage girls scene, this article is about the metal and hardcore scene that has declined over the years