Cigarette may have started PEI apartment fire that displaced eight residents

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

LENNOX ISLAND, P.E.I. - Eight people homeless after a fire damaged an apartment building on Prince Edward Island's north shore.

The flames started early Saturday, causing extensive damage to the four-unit building on the Lennox Island First Nation reserve.

Hubert Sark, the fire chief of the local fire department, says the fire marshal is calling the blaze accidental, though the cause is not known.

He says officials believe a cigarette may have started the fire.

The Canadian Red Cross says no one was injured, though one woman received precautionary treatment for smoke inhalation.

The Red Cross is providing emergency aid to the six adults and two children who were displaced.

Organizations: Red Cross

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page