PRESCOTT, Ont. - The Windmill Point Lighthouse, symbol of a bloody battle that brought an end to the Rebellion of 1837-1838, has been designated a heritage lighthouse under federal legislation that allows for its protection.
The Prescott tourist attraction overlooking the St. Lawrence River was the site of a four-day battle in 1838 when British troops and local militia defeated an invasion force of 300 Americans and Canadian rebels.
Administered by Parks Canada, the lighthouse is part of the Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site.
About 19 metres high and topped with a cast-iron lantern, the limestone structure was initially built as a windmill in 1832 before being converted to a lighthouse in 1874.
For last year's 175th anniversary of the Battle of the Windmill, Parks Canada invested $164,000 in its conservation.
The Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act allows for the protection of federally owned lighthouses that have significant heritage value.