Last fall, a number of city high school social justice and youth action committees were invited to team up with the IceCaps Care Foundation to give to local charities. The Bishops Youth Action Committee (YAC) chose Street Reach/Thrive, a Grassroots Outreach Community Network for homeless and disadvantaged youth. YAC has been supporting this group for the past five years. The foundation agreed to give $1,000 to Street Reach if YAC could fill 100 stockings with donated toiletries and winter items. The Bishops community not only met this goal but easily surpassed it with a final tally of 130 stockings.
On Dec. 12, Catherine Dwyer from Street Reach/Thrive received the stockings from YAC and a cheque for $1,000 from Trevor Murphy of the IceCaps Care Foundation. Thanks to our school community who donated items and to the IceCaps for their generous monetary donation. — Submitted photo
- Read more special articles:
- Community Heroes: June Bickham Memorial Ride raises $8K for Dr. H. Bliss Murphy foundation
- Community Heroes: Hailey shaves again!
- Community Heroes: $800K from Hibernia supports Fortune Head Interpretation Centre
- Community Heroes: Law firm donates bike helmets in support of brain injury prevention