Last fall, a number of city high school social justice and youth action committees were invited to team up with the IceCaps Care Foundation to give to local charities. The Bishops Youth Action Committee (YAC) chose Street Reach/Thrive, a Grassroots Outreach Community Network for homeless and disadvantaged youth. YAC has been supporting this group for the past five years. The foundation agreed to give $1,000 to Street Reach if YAC could fill 100 stockings with donated toiletries and winter items. The Bishops community not only met this goal but easily surpassed it with a final tally of 130 stockings.
On Dec. 12, Catherine Dwyer from Street Reach/Thrive received the stockings from YAC and a cheque for $1,000 from Trevor Murphy of the IceCaps Care Foundation. Thanks to our school community who donated items and to the IceCaps for their generous monetary donation. — Submitted photo
- Read more special articles:
- Community Heroes: Easter Seals, MMSB team up
- Community Heroes: Ronald McDonald House Newfoundland and Labrador relies heavily on the work of volunteers to fulfil its mission
- Community Heroes: C.B.S. Lions support Kids Help Phone
- Community Heroes: District N-4 Lions make major health conditions