Mount Pearl incumbents all re-elected

Daniel
Daniel MacEachern

Mount Pearl returned all six incumbent councillors to city hall on Tuesday night, with Travis Faulkner — leader of a slate of affiliated candidates — dismissed the results as a popularity contest.

Mount Pearl City Hall. — File photo

Jim Locke, returned as deputy mayor for having received the most votes, said he wasn’t surprised at the result.

“I covered 8,000 doors during my campaign. I and my helpers went around, and overwhelmingly people said they were quite satisfied with the work of the existing council. So, quite frankly, I’m not surprised that all six are returning.”

Locke said he’s just one of six people responsible for the electoral success.

“We work as a team, and that’s the way we function around the council table. That’s the way we function in public,” he said. “I’m sharing in the glory of the entire incumbent council that came in.”

Defeated candidate Travis Faulkner, who led a group of affiliated candidates, was disappointed, calling it “Randy Simms’ town” instead of a city that belongs to the citizens.

“It’s a popularity contest. That’s all it is. This is not an election won on business sense,” he said, and criticized what he called overspending, including a trip earlier this year by Mayor Randy Simms and Coun. Dave Aker to Vancouver for the annual meeting of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. “It’s hard to compete against people who are teachers and are popular. What I don’t understand — is anybody looking at what they’re doing? Can someone explain to me, how do you vote for some people who don’t mind wasting taxpayer dollars to go to a conference in Vancouver?”

Locke said the results speak for themselves. Each re-elected councillor received more votes than all six candidates in Faulkner’s group combined.

“They claimed there was need of a change in Mount Pearl, but obviously a large majority of the electorate in Mount Pearl didn’t agree with that,” he said.

Re-elected Coun. Paula Tessier said the results reflect Mount Pearl residents’ satisfaction with the job council did over the past four years.

“It’s right back to work again,” she said. “We’ve got a lot of things happening in Mount Pearl. We’ve got our multiplex which is under construction. We’ve got some redevelopments that are happening — St. David’s field, for example, is redeveloping into a beautiful centre-city park. We have some work that we’re doing with our seniors’ independence group. So it’s right back to business as usual.”

dmaceachern@thetelegram.com

Twitter: @TelegramDaniel

Organizations: Federation of Canadian Municipalities

Geographic location: Mount Pearl, Vancouver

Comments

Comments

• LA
    September 25, 2013 - 16:54

I applaud people such as Faulkner for digging in and possibly exposing the truth. I never knew there was no accountability or Transparency at City Hall. My word, that is everywhere now. While I may not agree with some of his off the cuff comments, there is no denying truth and facts. Seems like his passion for Mount Pearl shows. I have no idea who he is, but I applaud him. Complacency must be the order of the day for many councillors. I WAS a follower of the current Mount Pearl council and voted for them before. I was satisfied with my choice, but when I was made aware of a number of issues in Mount Pearl regarding how my tax dollar was being wasted, it shocked me and made me upset. I felt taken advantage of. Sadly, many of us don't look beyond our front door and rely on our elected to do what is in our best interest. With such a low voter turnout I am suspect! Possibly, if even another 35% showed up at the polls, results may have been different. Mayor Simms you can relax NOW for 4 years. Faulkners group of guys have open the eyes of many of us.

• Dave Aker
      September 25, 2013 - 21:25

LA, Contact me anytime. I hide nothing and work diligently for the residents of Mount Pearl. I prefer to form constructive relationships with our residents rather than whine and complain.

• Jon
    September 25, 2013 - 14:14

Going to conferences are sometimes very valuable and shouldn't immediaely be discounted as a "waste of taxpayers dollars". Good thing this guy wasn't voted in.

• Darrell
    September 25, 2013 - 14:06

Thank you voters for not voting in Tony Janes.

• Jim Chant
    September 25, 2013 - 09:45

Mr Falkner .. You comments and attitude are clearly why your 'team' did as well as they did in this election. The city belongs to the people and they spoke loud and clear yesterday. Maybe if your folks approached the election as a group rather than with a 'mob' mentatlity you may have had more success. You commented that you can't compete with popularity of teachers!! Majority of the voters are non-students and while the 'teachers' do engage frequently with parents from a particular school, it was far from a popularity contest. Rather than spewing your sour comments, step back and try to learn something from this experience.. Jim

• Paul
    September 25, 2013 - 09:29

Travis Faulkner - the people voted.

• Jack
    September 25, 2013 - 09:15

35 % voter turnout is very disappointing but the right people were elected, I think Mr. Smallwood should not give up, you do have a chance in the next election. As far as the Faulkner group goes, you got what you deserved! You people were a joke and the citizens seen right through you. There is some sour grapes with this group so they took the schoolyard mentality of "we are going to take em all out" pfft better luck next time in the next community you move to....you are going to move out right????

• Mount Pearl Citizen
    September 25, 2013 - 08:47

I guess it's a case of sour grapes for Mr. Faulkner and his team. I am quite pleased with the work of Mayor Simms and council members, and extend to them congratulations on being acclaimed/elected once again. Keep up the good work.

• Joe H
    September 25, 2013 - 07:30

Popularity contest? These candidates were returned, due to the fact that most people saw through Mr. Faulkner's charade. Mr. Faulkner, these candidates were popular because they are nice people, who have served the citizens of Mount Pearl very, very well. You are out there blowing hot smoke about overspending, but I have not heard a single solution that made sense from your group of candidates. It was hard to understand the ramblings coming from you, as well as the "future", (whom seemed to have trouble with basic grammar and spelling). Maybe you shouldn't have gone on air saying that, in your words, "sometimes I like dogs more than humans". For a guy with so much "Business Sense", you sure don't know how to relate to people. Now that it's over you can go back to whining about the excellent garbage program, or maybe breaking up a few kids playing hockey or riding scooters on the street, that seems right up your alley.

• Mount Pearl Guy
    September 25, 2013 - 07:19

I'd just like to say as a Mount Pearl resident I did go to Mr. Faulkner's website to view their platform and was not impressed. Videos about blue trucks and garbage boxes. There was nothing on that site that indicated what they stood for. In contrast the last 4 years have been very productive with the current council. I just don't think the group had a very defined statement of what they stood for.

• Robert
    September 25, 2013 - 07:09

If its not broke then why fix it!! Its the best run community in the province ... but yet we should elect you and your buddies... pffft... go back to shinny hockey....