Justice officials say having adult criminal dockets posted online makes sense

Staff ~ The Telegram

The provincial court of Newfoundland and Labrador began posting its daily adult criminal dockets online March 3 providing greater public access to dockets.
The dockets are found online at http://www.court.nl.ca/provincial/adult/dockets.htm.
According to a news release, the public and media now have the capability to go online and access the daily adult criminal docket for any provincial court in the province.
The release states the online access not only benefits the public and media, but improves the efficiency of the court by reducing phone calls and visits to the court registries.
The Small Claims Docket will also be available online in a few weeks. As regards Youth and Family cases, there is specific legislation that prohibits the information contained in these dockets from being published.
Provincial court Chief Judge Mark Pike said, "I am pleased that our court services director has taken this innovative step to improve the efficiency of the court's daily operation and to make it more convenient for the thousands of people who have contact with us every year".
St. John's criminal lawyer Randy Piercey said that for many years lawyers, witnesses and those accused of crimes were required to crowd around a printed listing of the schedule posted outside the court door every morning.
"This was cumbersome and confusing," he said. "By having the docket posted and accessible online, all parties can confirm their schedules in advance."
Pamela Goulding, Director of Public Prosecutions, noted that all too frequently, people went to the wrong courtroom or were mistaken about when their case was scheduled to proceed.
"Those who work in the courts such as police officers, lawyers and media personnel upon whom the public relies for information about what's happening in our courts every day, were especially affected," she said. "Now, anyone with Internet access can check the docket at their convenience. This will make it a lot easier for everyone. It just makes sense."

Organizations: Public Prosecutions

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Taxdodger
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Nice. I'm going to download a copy of each page each day and assemble geographical-crime, and perhaps demographical-crime indices to see which communities and families are a bunch of criminals.

• St. John's Citizen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

This is terrible. This information should not be disclosed to the public this freely - even the bulletin board outside the courtrooms was not the best approach. People who get acquitted of their charges, have those charges completely dropped - as if nothing had ever happened. This can save them in many situations, as jobs, etc. If this info is posted online, the accused is already pinned for the offense, even though it may end in no conviction. This already sets a lasting impression in the public's eye - that the accused is guilty of the stated ofences. There is no such list when one is dropped of the charges, and people will not try to follow up.

• Citizen XIV
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I love this! Now I get to see who's guilty of what before they even go to trial! Now how about posting a list of everyone receiving social assistance? (No, I don't mean corporate executives)

• Heather
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Citizen XIV - I agree. The law is supposed to be 'innocent until proven guilty' when in actuality it is 'guilty until proven innocent'. Reputations / lives have been ruined because of false allegations. I can remember way back when people seeking divorce had their names and the reason for the petition published in the newspaper.

• WJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

If I see any of my employees on this list I will have to suspend them immediately until the outcome of their trial. This is good news.

• Taxdodger