'What makes you rob a hippie bus?'

Terry Roberts

Yukon family on journey of happiness and harmony finds trouble in St. John's; makes plea to robbers

A family of adventurous, planet-lovers from Dawson City, Yukon who travelled to Newfoundland aboard an old school bus powered by waste vegetable oil is looking to show a little love and forgiveness to the people who robbed them.

They also want their belongings back.

Holly and Kirsten Haustein, their sons Joey, 8, and Ben, 6, and dog Pongo, have been staying in Bonavista - their "winter camp" - since early October.

The Haustein family of Dawson City, Yukon parents Holly and Kirsten and their sons, Joey and Ben are offering forgiveness and love to the thieves who stole from them in St. John's this week. They are shown here in Bonavista Thursday with their waste veg

They also want their belongings back.

They have drawn plenty of attention wherever they have gone, but not all of it has been good.

Last weekend, they were visiting St. John's to pick up supplies and attend the Canadian Folk Music Awards.

On Monday evening, a stranger entered their colourful home on wheels.

The Lilly Gypsywind, as they call it, is a 1979 school bus that looks like something you might have seen at Woodstock, and smells like a chip truck when it rumbles down the highway.

They were parked outside the Katimavik residence on Hamilton Avenue in St. John's Monday evening when the theft occurred.

It's believed two people were involved, with one person entering the unlocked bus and pitching items out the window for a second person to collect outside.

They got away with a digital camera, a backpack that belonged to an old friend of Holly's, and binoculars once owned by Kirsten's late father.

Their losses could have been worse.

Holly returned to the bus and found one of the culprits still inside.

"He was a young guy. He was confused. He tried to sell me the idea he belonged to the Katimavik people. Then he got nervous and started to cry. He said, 'Let me out. You got the wrong guy.' He slipped by me and was gone," Holly said Thursday during a telephone interview from Walkham's Gate Pub in Bonavista.

Holly "runs dogs up north" and is in good shape. He likely could have detained the thief, but said he's no hero.

The 40-year-old said he is "grieving" the loss of their belongings, and wants to reach out to the people who stole from them.

"We wondered, what makes you rob a hippie bus? We just wondered if this guy would have stayed, we probably could have changed his life for the better just by talking to him.

"If he wants to get in contact with us, we would just give him a f--king hug. We're not mad at all. There would be no charges whatsoever. It's just we could do a little healing with him if he gives our stuff back.

They call their cross-Canada journey "We Love Life."

They are "life-schooling" their children, living a life of simplicity, and are travelling green by using solar power for their energy needs and vegetable oil instead of pollution-emitting fuel to propel their bus.

They are living off their savings, and earning money by making music and selling art.

They moved to Dawson City from Germany eight years ago.

Holly drives horse wagons for tourists, while Kirsten works at a restaurant.

They say they are open-minded, non-religious and want to raise awareness to a "collective consciousness."

They hope to sell their bus next year, buy a sailboat and continue their journey by sea, likely to the Caribbean.

They choose to settle temporarily in Bonavista because it is a fishing community and they could "learn the trade of the sailors."

"We're just spreading love all over the place and feel sorry for the guys that they have to live such a poor life and don't really get the connection to the real idea of life," he said.

Holly said the items taken don't have much value, but are important to the family.

They can be reached by e-mail at lifelovesus@hotmail.com. The website is www.welovelife.ca.

troberts@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Cross-Canada

Geographic location: St. John's, Yukon, Bonavista Dawson City Newfoundland Hamilton Avenue Germany Caribbean

Comments

Comments

• a
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I think that public schools are over rated. these children are being taught more diversity and life skills then they will ever learn behind the walls of some socially repressed school... Walk the halls of a school sometime... think back to when you were there yourself, its not about learning skills for life, its a popularity contest, a cess pool of intolerance for something that is not deemed normal by society.
    And who is any one to lay judgement on this family for how they choose to live thier lives? If we all had such openmindedness to the world, I am sure we would all be a little happier... Stop trying to conform others to what you think is normal and wonder what the hell is normal anyway? If you are happy, and living your life without hurting others, then thats a pretty darn good life to live... We could all learn a little something from The Haustein family.
    Hope everything works out for them :)

• Michael
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

To Patrick from AB. Your comments are so typical of Albertans. You have empathy or tolerance for no one. I guess that no one in AB can home-school their own children because they lack the intelligence and/or skill to do so. As for living in a bus, that would be preferrable to living in Alberta, the toxic capital of Canada. And Patrick from AB, how about all those losers, posted by Ted M from St. John's, NL? And Patrick from AB, I don't think any of those people can be classed as inbred hillbilly rednecks. Can you say the same thing?

• Jim B
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

What makes people rob a hippie bus?

Opportunity.

Welcome to NL where petty crime is not acted upon by the police services.

Steal and camera or computer and get yourself an oxycontin pill or a bit of weed is the attitude by these lazy punks.

And the keystone kops do nothing.

• Jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I though I saw this guys begging for money at some of the intersections in st john's. I hope its not in the kids schooling.

• JM
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Right on, Michael. Losers? This family is finding out what kind of people we really are not thieves; but a bunch of small-minded, ignorant, judgmental hicks who feel that it is our god-given responsibility to impose our superior morality on them. We would be happier that their children are taught to shut up and follow orders so that they can grow up to rape the earth in Alberta or murder Muslims for Wall Street or just idle their 4x4s in Tim Hortons drive-throughs. Perhaps Patrick, Mark and Longshanks would have benefited from the enlightened parenting that these boys are receiving. Or not.

• Carol
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

I really hope these people get their stuff back. Best of luck to them, I admire people who have the courage to really do something different.

Peace

• Ted
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Longshanks from Mt. Pearl,
    These kids are home-schooled, they were profiled on CBC just a few weeks ago. I think you took the term life-schooled a little too literally. Furthermore, I can't see how they are doing their kids a disservice. So they live in a bus, big deal? Here's a bit of news for ya Most of the world's population is not living nearly as well as these people. So accusing them of doing their children disservice because they don't live in the suburbs is revealing not only your ethnocentricity but also your ignorance.

• CW
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

This is probably the coolest family I have ever heard of. On the other hand, they should have tackled the little jerk who stole their stuff, and then taught him a life lesson later.

• Sheldon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I think this family has it all figured out!! I wish i had the guts to live life in this fashion. This lack of stress lifestyle has plenty of lessons to teach everyone that lives life from 9-5. Best of luck to you guys and happy travels

• D'Arcy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I have met this family, having spent a number of summers and a winter in Dawson City, YT. They are some of the most genuine people I have ever met. Holly was known for some of the projects that he undertook to help improve life in Dawson including building a beautiful wood bench for pedestrians waiting for the river ferry.

Best wishes go out to Holly, Kirsten and their two children. I hope those who stole their things find it in their heart to return these items.

• Jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Welcome to Newfoundland folks. Just turn your back for a second and let me introduce you to the something for nothing crowd.

• Ted
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Mark from Newfoundland,

Who are you to dictate how people should raise their kids? Is because they don't quite fit your expectation of what a family should be (white picket fence, 2 car garage etc)? Well, at least these people spend time with their kids, which is more than I can say for most parents who are more concerned about their career and keeping up with the Jones's. Meanwhile, little Jonny is borderline obese brat who is baby-sat by either a computer, TV, video game or daycare worker. My guess is that these kids will be more prepared than their peers.

According to a report published by the Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) and funded by the Office of Educational Research and Improvement, U.S. Department of Education, home school student achievement test scores were exceptionally high. The median scores for every subtest at every grade were well above those of public and Catholic/private-school students. On average, home school students in grades one to four performed one grade level above their age-level public/private school peers on achievement tests. Students who had been homeschooled their entire academic life had higher scholastic achievement test scores than students who had also attended other educational programs.

Lastly, here are a few famous home-schooled people...
    George Bernard Shaw, C.S. Lewis, Agatha Christie, Alexander Graham Bell
    Thomas Edison, Robert Frost, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Frank Lloyd Wright, Whoopi Goldberg, Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Charlie Chaplin, Agatha Christie

• Longshanks
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

TED M. They didn't say they were home schooled. They are life schooled, I take that to mean no school just what ever life happens to throw your way. I am more laid back than most and many times would like to run off and live in the woods but I can't because it is not a responsible thing to do, especially if you have children. I'm all for homeschooling, but this is beyond all reason...they are doing their children a disservice.

On another note just because myself and others tend to find this an inappropriate lifestyle does not make us intolerate or ... a bunch of small-minded, ignorant, judgmental hicks as one other poster writes.

Last point. NEWFIES is a derogatory term and most would not use it. I can only assume that those who have used it here would use other racist or hate filled terms to describe others.

• Patrick
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

That sucks that their stuff got stolen, nobody should have their personal belongings pilfered by scumbags who dont want to buy their own stuff. Who is it that they are talking about that is living such a poor life? Arent they the ones living in a bus, lifeschooling their kids- a severly misguided plan- and living a hippy lifestyle that offers them no financial security?

• T
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

i'd give everything i have away to live one minute like these people! i just wish i had the courage to throw in the towel and be a better parent to my 4 YO who sadly spends 10hrs plus in a daycare while my husband & I work jobs we hate! sadly we fell in the trap that society said was ideal & proper and now we struggle because we feel we're the ones doing the disservice.

good luck with your travels!

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

An interesting lifestyle....but unfair to the children. If they wish to take a summer and travel around the country with their kids....great....but these kids should be in school learning the things they will need to survive in this world. If the children decide to live this sot of lifestyle when they become of an age to make that decision, then so be it, but for the parents to remove these kids from school is wrong.

• Kevin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Thievery starts at a young age, these two no goods are no exception. They would rather steal from someone than work to get what they want.

Time to burn the legislation on the YJ Act. Don t put these two in jail, but make them pay financially and by embarrassment. Put them in bright orange suits, march them around town with a sign on their necks.

• wayne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

i see some are labeling the family and even the media did it by using the headline,'What makes you rob a hippie bus?'

good luck holly,kirsten ,joey and ben . hopefully the people that took your stuff will return it.

• H
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I feel bad for this family, losing such meaningful possessions. However if there's one thing I will say, it's that leaving meaningful things in an unlocked vehicle in a city is just a little too trusting, even for Newfoundland.

• Paul
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

It's sad, that newfies reputations are changing from friendly give the shirt off your back kind of people to dirt bag rob you blind when your not looking kind of people. And even worse the comments from my fellow newfies you don't even realize it. I am moving my family home this summer, I'll be sure all my locks are in good working order

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

What is the problem with people? Why do we see it as our right to say these kids should go to school. I agree with one writer who asks how many 6 and 8 year olds are at home learning German. These kids will know the meaning of hard work and will value everything they have. Perhaps we could certainly learn a thing or 2 from these people about happiness. I wish I had to balls to run around in a bus, and next on a sailboat.

• Bruce
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

If only they had a bus that ran on intolerance - then they would never be out of fuel.

• Longshanks
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

OK. it sucks that someone took their stuff. That's wrong and buddy should have choked the little rat. But these losers should be investigated by child services. These children should be in school, not in a greasy converted bus travelling about getting life schooled by hippies who probably get the munchies alot...

• Gene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

It's too bad that they got robbed but St. John's is the type of city that if your leave you car door unlocked don't be suprised if you get robbed. They should take this as a lesson: don't be so naive, keep your doors locked. Also, do you really think that you can help these people. They don't want your help; the're scum and you'd be hard pressed to change them. Suck up your loss, get over it, and in the future lock your doors so it don't happen again.

• Tony
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I see there are a lot of questions about the homeschooling that the two children in this article are receiving. I happen to be the person who took the picture for this article. I don't work for the newspaper but they needed a picture and I was available. When I went to take the picture the two children were sitting in their bus doing some school work in German. How many of you have 8 and 6 year olds at home that can read and write in two languages.

• Tim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Seems that a few that attempt to force the rest of us to conform to what the government wants us to do need to take a pill or two. Just because you are not educated enough to raise your own children in the fashion that these people have give you no right to talk down to them for doing better then you ever could.

More of us need to live our lives in this fashion. It teaches us all to be better people in the long run, and not controlled drones that some wish is to be.

• Michael
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

To Patrick from AB, and Mark from Newfoundland. Who died and put you in charge? These people don't have to live their lives according to your dictates. If they choose to live on a bus, and home-school their kids, that's their business, not yours. It seems to me, just from reading the article, and the posting by D'Arcy Butler from Toronto, that this is a loving and well-adjusted family. And, maybe, Mark, you can enlighten me as to what things kids learn in school that 'they will need to survive in this world'. Too bad there's not more people like the Hausteins, and less like you two intolerant anal-retentive clowns.

• M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

JR, you are so close-minded. Just b/c they live on a bus and travel the world, doesn't automatically mean they smoke dope! Such a narrow-minded thinker you are! And if they do, in fact, indulge, that's their biz, don't you think?! You live your life the way you want, why shouldn't they?!

Longshanks, the term Newfie is not always used in a derogatory manner. It is all relative. I use it and I'm a NEWFIE! Ppl either get defensive over it's use or could really care less... to me, I'm proud of where I come from, therefore, call me Newfie all you wish!

• Patrick
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Michael, do you have internet in the Bus you live in in BC? I feel bad for what happened to them, but they live a ridiculous transient lifestyle that most people would find to be bothersome. Im far from anal retentive, maybe a little bit intolerant, but I live in the real world, with a real job, mortgage, vehicle payments, bills, investments for the future etc. Being life schooled is ridiculous and Im sure will make their future employers trip over each other to hire them, unless they get a job that only requires them to say you want fries with that . Get a life!

• Timboy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Awful to hear this.
    I live near that area and I would'nt lock a rusty bicycle to a pole near that part of town let alone a car. In fact that stretch of Hamilton Avenue is nicknamed here as Druggy Avenue. Why why didn't the staff warn these people not to park their bus there.

• TG
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I'd rather live in a Bonavista bus than in Mount Pearl or Alberta.

• JR
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

they left their bus unlocked, let the thief get away even though they could have stopped him...what do they expect? perhaps if they smoked a little less dope they'd be energetic enough to get off their asses and help themselves.

• Julie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Welcome.
    I hope all goes well. Someone may give you an extra camera and binoculars...most of us have too much and need to share. The way you are educating your children is a great advantage to them.

• GINA
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Kudos to this young family for having the guts to go against the grain and live life out of the box Life's too short, live everyday like it's yor last!!!! What a wonderful experience to be able to travel the world and enjoy life instead of pushing paper, LABELLING people and being a judgemental know-it-all like SOME people who commented on this article!!!!! LIVE AND LET LIVE

• bee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

This article is not about the lifestyle of this family but rather the fact that they were robbed of their belongings and how they would like to have them returned.
    All the best to the Haustein family.

• a
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

Hope everything works out for them :)

• Michael
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Jim B
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

What makes people rob a hippie bus?

Opportunity.

Welcome to NL where petty crime is not acted upon by the police services.

And the keystone kops do nothing.

• Jim

July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Jeff
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Ted
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

Mark from Newfoundland,

Lastly, here are a few famous home-schooled people...
    George Bernard Shaw, C.S. Lewis, Agatha Christie, Alexander Graham Bell

• Longshanks
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Patrick
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• T
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

good luck with your travels!

• Mark

July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Timboy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

Awful to hear this.

• TG
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

I'd rather live in a Bonavista bus than in Mount Pearl or Alberta.

• JR
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

• Julie
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

Welcome.

• GINA
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

• bee
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

All the best to the Haustein family.