Province announces 2008-09 home heating rebate

Staff ~ The Telegram

Residents of the province with family net income of $40,000 or less who incur costs to heat their home will once again be eligible to receive financial assistance through the Newfoundland and Labrador Home Heating Rebate Program.
Finance Minister Jerome Kennedy announced details of the program today.
Eligible residents will receive up to a $300 rebate for households which use heating oil, stove oil or propane, up to $200 for households which use electricity, wood or wood products, and up to $500 for those living in coastal Labrador communities.
Families with net income up to $35,000 will receive a full rebate. The rebate will gradually decrease as income levels rise to $40,000, with no eligible family receiving less than $100.
"Despite the lower costs of home heating fuel this year compared to last year, we have decided to keep the rebate at the same levels as last year, with the exception of coastal Labrador communities due to the high costs associated with home heating fuel in that region," Kennedy said.
The current cost of home heating fuel is about 86 cents per litre, down from 99 cents per litre at the time the Home Heating Rebate program was announced last year.
Application forms are available through: the Department of Finance and the Seniors' Resource Centre in St. John's; at all Human Resources, Labour and Employment offices and throughout the province; at all Government Service Centres; the Department of Finance website (www.gov.nl.ca/fin/homeheating); and local newspapers.
For further information on the home heating rebate, call 729-3192 or toll-free at 1-866-990-3444 or by e-mail at homeheatprogram@gov.nl.ca.

Organizations: Department of Finance, Resource Centre, Human Resources Government Service Centres

Geographic location: Labrador, St. John's

Comments

Comments

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

ONbelievable

• Heat
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

This should turn out to be a bigger joke this year then it was last year. Now with the drop in oil how much do ya wanna wager that more and more people will not see a dime.

• T
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I think everyone should get a rebate just because people make over 40000 don't mean they are rich just means more bills and pay in more taxes. Come on gov don't punish the fortunate people with higer paying jobs everyone needs help these days with soring cost!

• Lisa
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

My heat is incuded in my rent there should be a way for us to get the rebate also cause if my landlords cost for heating goes up so does my rent. I say my landlord is gonna get the rebate NOT FAIR.

• George