'Poor little angels'

Nadya Bell

Bell Islanders mourn children killed in house fire

There's a street light installed in front of the house where three children died in a fire on Dec. 20.

It's the only light on the road in Lance Cove, Bell Island, and it's lit 24 hours a day.

Connie Lahey, a neighbour who used to look after the young children, says she asked the RCMP for it, and it was installed last week.

An urn holding the remains of seven-year-old Jasmine Janice Marie Taylor, her five-year-old brother Kody Lee and cousin Michael Eli Taylor, 5, is carried out of St. Michaels Church on Bell Island Tuesday. The three children died when their Lance Cove home

"There's no lights in Lance Cove," she says, standing in front of her house across the street from the scene of the fire.

"But now they've got their eternal light. Poor little angels."

Mourners started arriving early at St. Michael's Church for the funeral for Michael Eli Taylor, Kody Lee Taylor and Jasmine Janice Marie Taylor, with standing room only for the service, which began at 2:30 Tuesday afternoon.

The children - a seven-year-old girl, her five-year-old brother and their five-year-old cousin - died in an electrical fire that demolished the aging house.

The children's parents, a brother and sister who lived in the house together, as well as the sister's boyfriend, managed to escape the burning house, along with two of their other children who also lived there.

After the service, an urn containing the remains of the children was carried by a long funeral procession to the United Church cemetery.

Media did not attend the service, at the family's request.

Still in shock

Lahey and her sister, Linda Kidman, say they are still in shock from the fire, and have barely slept since.

"We heard the little children cry. Connie seen one of them in the window," Kidman says.

"She went right out of it, and I held her back because it was too late, then I held the father back. 'You can't go in,' I said. 'It's too late.' But those cries. I'll never get it out of my mind."

Lahey says she has fond memories of having the children over for bonfires or games.

"Linda's grandchildren would come down and we'd have Connie's camp, they used to call it, with a little bonfire and hot dogs to eat," Lahey says.

"I used to have all the youngsters up in the yard playing hockey, football, soccer, or they'd be up in the woods there by the trees playing with their guns," she says.

Donations of money, toys and household items continued to pour in from the community and across the province for the family, with the total expected to be several thousand dollars.

nbell@thetelegram.com

Organizations: RCMP, United Church

Geographic location: Bell Island

Comments

Comments

• shirley
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

What a sad & terrible ending this province has had for 2008. Thinking of YOU ALL & May God Bless each & Everyone of You.

• Frank
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Too many innocents have died this holiday season.

We grieve each of them.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Best wishes to the families involved. It is tragic to loose a member of your family at any time but especially so as close to Christmas as this happened. May time help to heal the survivors and the emergency workers wounds.

• In Shock
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

When i heard about the deaths of these little angels I was praying that they were asleep when it happened but when i read that they were not ,it sent chills down my whole body and tears to my eyes . My thoughts and prayers go out to the familes in this time of grief .

• Laurie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

my heart goes out to the families affected by this tragedy..especially during the holiday season. God Bless The Children!! AMEN

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

How in Heavens name does a parent cope with someting like this . My heart goes out to the families of these little children.

• Jennifer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Oh my...how in the world can any family get through that...I don't know what to say except if there is a God out there, please help these people somehow try to go on without losing what is left fo their sane mind. I am so sorry for your loss and you are in my thoughts and prayers...

• A Mommy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I am absolutely heartbroken thinking of how those babies died. How one recovers from such a tragedy I'll never understand. Love and prayers go out to the surviving families, and to those three little angels...

• A dad from NL
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I am a father of a two year old son and I can not imagine how one would cope with such a tragedy. I had to hold back tears as I read this article. May God be with the families at this time and I am sure these little Angles are with God.

• Tanya
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

My condolences to the family of these small children. May angels above keep them under their wings and protect them, watch over them. Words can't adequately express how much this tragedy has touched all of our lives. May you be blessed with an abundance of love, support, guidance, strength and courage from God to carry on with all of your lives. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• eleanor
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

my prayers go to the parents off those sweet little angels may you find strength to go on each day

• margie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

just wanted to say to the family of those 3 little angeles that i am so Sorry for your lost, i know there is nothing i can say or do to ease the pain . May God Bless you all and i hope God will give you the strength and courage to carry on, you're in our thought's and Prayer's.

• LARD
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

May they rest in joyful peace with the little angels

• Mother of four children
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

With goosebumps going down my arms and back from reading this story I send my condolences to the families involved. And like everyone else I don't know how one would get pass this but finding inner strength from those around them to offer support.
    I know how I would feel if I had lost my children so I send nothing love, strength and prayers to all those involved and those three angels that are looking down on them and helping them through!!

• Jody from Mt.Pearl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Reading this article brought tears to my eyes, (being a parent myself, it made me realized how sometimes we take our most precious gifts for granted) and when we think our lives are horriable, I will always remember now that it could be much worse. All my LOVE & PRAYERS go out to there family.

• shirley
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Frank
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

Too many innocents have died this holiday season.

We grieve each of them.