From cucumbers to cul de sacs

Terry Roberts

Home construction to begin soon at former Sprung Greenhouse property

Homes will start going up in the coming weeks on a controversial property that was once home to a notorious greenhouse, and was later at the centre of a bitter ownership dispute between St. John's and Mount Pearl.

Once the final permits are in place, likely by February or March, the heavy equipment and tradesmen will move in to begin Phase 1 of Brookfield Plains, said Eileen Skinner, a partner with Brookfield Plains Inc., the company behind the project.

The former Sprung Greenhouse is now in the initial construction phase for the Brookfield Plains 400-unit housing development. - Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

Phase 1 consists of 58 single-family homes.

"The controversy hasn't hurt us at all," Skinner said, noting that a dozen homes have already been pre-sold, with an average purchase price of $318,000.

The company plans to build 400 homes and some commercial units on the 86-acre property, which was home to the Sprung Greenhouse in the late 1980s. The greenhouse became an economic disaster, with the province pumping millions into the ill-fated venture.

Two years ago, the cities of St. John's and Mount Pearl engaged in a highly charged battle over ownership of 320 acres of land located off Commonwealth Avenue in Mount Pearl. The dispute included the Sprung property.

Mount Pearl argued since the property was on its boundary, and access was only available from Commonwealth Avenue, that it could better provide services and the municipal boundary should be changed. St. John's countered that awarding the property to Mount Pearl would weaken the St. John's urban region at the expense of the capital city.

A special commissioner appointed by the province sided with St. John's, saying the capital city should maintain ownership.

Skinner and her partners purchased the land from the Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corp. in late 2006. It was later rezoned from agricultural and rural land use to residential low-density and open space by the City of St. John's.

Mount Pearl owns a strip of the land along Commonwealth Avenue, which is zoned commercial. The company has to deal with both cities when it comes to obtaining permits and other issues, said Skinner.

"We're very sensitive to the emotions that were generated by this debate, and we're doing our best to work collaboratively with both cities," she said.

Mount Pearl Mayor Randy Simms said council has moved beyond the issue, and is doing all it can to ensure the development moves ahead. But he suggested that people who buy homes in Brookfield Plains may someday rise up against the City of St. John's, much like they did in Southlands.

Southlands is also situated on the outer reaches of the capital city, and residents have long complained about the level of service they have received.

"There will come a time in the not-too-distant future when people moving into that area will see a benefit if they were part of us instead of St. John's. You never know what those citizens might do somewhere down the road," Simms said.

"My message to people who buy in that area - it might even be myself one day - will be 'welcome to the capital city. You will be an important part of the city and you will be well serviced by the city from all of the various departments.'"

troberts@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Newfoundland and Labrador Housing

Geographic location: St. John's, Mount Pearl, Brookfield Plains Inc. Commonwealth Avenue Southlands

Comments

Comments

• EmmaCay
    January 31, 2012 - 12:57

real estate is a perfect field to get into. I love my job and I love helping families find the perfect house.

• Potsie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I hope they name it Cucumber Crescent.

• KD
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

As a resident of Southlannds I can say that since the unrest a couple of years back with the lack of services, specifically snowclearing, the service level has improved exponentially! I find the roads in there now to be better than most, if not all, of the side roads in Mount Pearl. As for Townies comments...have a clue! Most of the services you list are provincial government services, not city of St. John's services - DUH.. since when does St. John's own/run healthcare or MUN! Ignorance must be bliss!!

• Robby
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

The school could be called Pickle Peckford Public.

• tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

No the land was not a dump, and the cucumber died do to it being a waste of money. No real money in it. If they wanted to make back what they spent on the sprung, a NL cucumber would have cost $1000.00 I think was the # that the goverment put on it.

• FYI
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Billy from NL writes: Services. Mt. Pearl. Uh huh.

Anybody driven on Park Avenue recently?

Stellar!

Yes Park avenue is pretty rough, but the reason for that lies in the fact that a contract let to Weirs construction for infastructure upgrades is not complete. Park Avenue will be rfine once the pipes have been placed and new pavement is installed.

• Ann Marie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

I have to totally agree with townie ....Mt. Pearl is a great City I'm sure, but come off it and give me a break, it wouldn't work without the City of St. John's. Only in the last several years have you gotten a Walmart and a few grocery stores and now you think you are on top of the world. Yes, I'm sure the streets of St. John's could be cleared a little more efficient but the City of St. John's is a lot larger than Mt. Pearl. Mt. Pearl snow clearing can be done after a storm in a day...it takes days to clear up the City streets because there are so many more than Mt. Pearl and because of the nature of them (small and narrow, parking on the street) making it harder to manoeuver large piece of snow clearing equipment. I think Mayor O'Keefe is a great representative for St. John's. No comparison...

• JK
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Ohh this is so childish...Why don't you children keep the comments to what the story is actually about if you even took the time out to read it.. Instead of starting a little war between what is better Mount Pearl or St. John's. Like seriously, both cities have their own faults in some way - nothing is ever perfect. So no matter which town you are from suck it up and write a comment about the story or just shut up!!!

• laughing in mtp
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I can't help but laugh at Mayor O'Keefe remarks. He must forget all the complaining and newspaper stories of how outraged Southlands homeowners were upset due to snow clearing. I can remember leaving my home in Mount Pearl to visit a friend in South Lands and more than happy that I was driving a four wheel drive. Would have did damage to the bottom of a car due to the ice/snow in the roads. Face it, Mount Pearl has better snow clearing and I am a homeowner that lives on a cul de sac and that is cleared before some main roads in St John's. Mayor Randy Simms can definitely stand by his remarks, after all it is the truth.

• AnnD
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I hope they remember before they buy that there is a very long established working farm close by & don't complain about the smell after they move in.

• City witty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Okeefe said.... St. John's Mayor Dennis O'Keefe described Simms' comments as outrageous. He said residents of Brookfield Plains will receive the same level of service as any other part of the capital city.

Yes Dennis, we fully expect you to be outraged. As to the level of service the homeowners will recieve in this enclave, they should speak with homeowners in southlands.

The city of St. John's could learn a few things from Mount Pearl. The capital city's municipal government is joke for the most part. With Dennis Okeefe at the helm, it can only continue in that manner.

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

St. John's never should have got that land. They already provide crappy service, and you can bet it will be the same here within 1 year. Over taxed for no service.

• don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I think most of the land in question was a dump in the early 60's. I may be wrong, I was young in the 60. Why did the cucumber die in the first place??

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I think it's time for the citizens of St. John's to grow up.

Your arguments are valid to a point. Yes, Mount Pearl is lacking a hospital (big deal). I've heard that excuse so many times now, is that all you've got? You're just as bad as those right wing nut jobs in the U.S. who still oppose change and fighting a culture war they can't win. When are you going to come up with something new?

Lets face facts here, the people of Mount Pearl live in Mount Pearl for a reason, it's quiet, it's safe, it's away from their daily work. Who wants to wake up, look out the window and be reminded of work and getting up at 6am? I don't! Who wants to deal with a conjested downtown on weekends (I don't), who wants to be taxed left right and centre until it's too painful to sit down (I don't - but maybe Yippee from NL likes it that way.)

Bottom line is, Mount Pearl is a family-oriented community and lives a quieter, slower, more relaxing way of life compared to it's Bully Neighbor.

Perhaps if St. John's wasn't ridden with OxyContin addicts, continuous home invasions, store robberies, prostitution, and lets face it, shanty town housing for those on welfare / criminal acts, people might actually consider living in St. John's.

As a resident of Mount Pearl who grew up, participated in recreational activities, educated, I one day plan to make my permanent home in Mount Pearl.

I'm Mark from Mount Pearl and I approve this message.

• Barry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Or maybe they could name one of the streets Pickle Drive.

• laughing in mount pearl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Still laughing at the remarks from St John's mayor. Maybe he should do a survey of the people in Southlands that have lived there when it first started. I can remember leaving my house in Mount Pearl to visit a friend where the roads were cleared and entering Southlands very happy that I had a four wheel drive because I would not have made it in a car. By the way, the storm was over two days before. I guess he doesn't remember all the newspaper stories at that time.

• Mount Pearl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I think its about time that Mayor O'Keefe wakes up and realizes that half of St.John's doesn't get service. The snow clearing sucks all over the city.. in the sub-divsion off Kenmount road got plowed 3 days after a storm, all the cars were still sliding across the road with big ruts in it. All these children that are gonig to live in this new sub-division are going to make friends in Mt.Pearl and go to schools in MP like Southlands... don't think SJ is going to send a bus out there and bring kids in. Families will do all their shopping in MP, no one is gonig to drive out into SJ at all... WAKE UP O'Keefe and admit defeat, Mt.Pearl is the better place to live, where council cares for the citizens of the city!

• Hey Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Doug (snooks buddy Doug I wonder?) wrote the following;

Doug C from NL writes: How many Pearlies actually work in Mount Pearl? I mean other than those in the retail sector at Walmart, Canadian Tire, Dominion etc. and the one or two other legitimate companies out there. The vast majority of those with real jobs are out clogging up the roads in St. John's driving to work. Even the mayor has to commute to St. John's when moonlighting as a talk show host. In any other province, Mount Pearl would be recognized for what it really is - a suburb of St. John's.

Doug, I live and work in Mount Pearl, and I have a REAL job. Just thought you would like to know.

Cheers

• Billy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Services. Mt. Pearl. Uh huh.

Anybody driven on Park Avenue recently?

Stellar!

• As Always...
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

...St. John's gets everything. Now they even got a piece of land that should belong to Mount Pearl! St. John's got Southlands years ago, which was an absolute joke! St. John's was miles away from Southlands, and boy did those residents get a treat when St. JOhn's couldn't even clear their streets properly! Now, St. JOhn's road crews have to drive up Commonwealth to get into that sub-division to remove snow??? Hold on Cucumber Lane...you may be in for a long, winter some years-LOL! Aslo, if I were Mount Pearl councillors, I'd be complaining that the use of Commonwealth Ave. to get to this sub-division is damaging the Avenue, and either stop the large construction vehicles from entering from Commonwealth Ave.! Have some balls about you-it's nothing that ol' Andy Wells wouldn't have tried. Remember, Squeaky wheel, gets the grease!!!!

• Doug C
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

• townie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Families will do all their shopping in MP, no one is gonig to drive out into SJ at all... So you mean to say that 95% of people in Mt. Pearl do not work in St. John's? That they don't shop at the Village or Avalon Mall? That they don't use the Health Care Services? Go to the University or College? They don't frequent the airport? GIVE ME A BREAK! Mt. Pearl would never be able to stand alone....all of you people going on and on about the snow clearing....wake up, mt. pearl is a planned city, of course the snow clearing is easier. St. John's is the oldest city in North America. Get off your high horse!

• Bern
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

I have lived in both cities central areas including Goulds which in part of St. John's when it was taken over. I now live in CBS for its urban-rural living and if for some reason I had to move closer east I would move to Mount Pearl before I would even consider St. John's. as a matter of fact I hope I never have to say again that I live in st. John's. Mount Pearl does have a better sense of community and family which made me feel closer knit in Mount Pearl. St John's has to give up the bully and it's mine attitude and work collectively with the surrounding areas which one day may even swallow up St. john's rather than the other way around.

• Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Can you imagine living in this new area and you are on your patio enjoying a lovely BBQ with family and friends......and then the winds change! Everyone runs in the house to get around away from the stink!!!

• Skeptical
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

If I may, I'd like to offer a few suggestions for street-names in this new development.

Some of the most obviously fitting ones have already been offered, and they're well worth repeating. Here they are:

(1) Cucumber Crescent,
    (2) Gherkin Street,
    (3) Bick's Boulevard,
    (4) Relish Round-About,
    (5) Pickle Parkway,
    (6) Dill Pickle Drive,
    (7) Sprung Fiasco Memorial Parkway, or, even better, Pickled Peckford Parkway

• Pay Cash
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Too bad for those that bought ahead of the bust. Bet those $300,000.00 homes have gone down in value before they have even driven a single nail. Now they may need to worry about taxes going for the potential of sub standard services.

It seems odd, that when more and more people are out of work. Talk of deflation, recession/depression some are still jacking up prices. Anyone that has the cash at hand to buy should, but going out and obtaining a loan at this point in time when you have no idea if you will have a job next week is not thinking very clearly.

Most things have gone up in price recently, yet wages and jobs have been slow to catch up. Gas, newspapers and magazines all have increased recently yet our income has fallen. Seems like companies have rasied prices to compensate for lack of sales. Maybe we the consumers should exert our power over them. If we do not purchase these inflated products, then these companies will either need to lower prices or shut down.

The time for the quick rip off is over. Use your head when spending what little you have. That new home or car is great, but will you be able to continue to be able to make payments if you have been laid off?

Just something to consider for all.

Good luck with the development. Build it right the first time. Cutting corners to save a buck will turn around and bite ya in the end.

• Yippee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Whah, whah, whah. Sounds like the pearlies haven't gotten over another loss. Tick tock, time is running out, the rope tightens and soon the pearl will be devoured. The original Mt. Pearl is already apart of SJ and soon her orphans have gone sour.

• exactly as
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

What dilly of a name.......Cucumber Crescent!! But they may very well be in a pickle if they don't sell any lots.....

• Potsie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

I hope they name it Cucumber Crescent.

• KD
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Robby
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

The school could be called Pickle Peckford Public.

• tom
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• FYI
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

Billy from NL writes: Services. Mt. Pearl. Uh huh.

Anybody driven on Park Avenue recently?

Stellar!

• Tom
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• don
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Mark
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

I think it's time for the citizens of St. John's to grow up.

I'm Mark from Mount Pearl and I approve this message.

• Barry
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

Or maybe they could name one of the streets Pickle Drive.

• laughing in mount pearl
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• Mount Pearl
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Hey Doug
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

Doug (snooks buddy Doug I wonder?) wrote the following;

Cheers

• Billy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

Services. Mt. Pearl. Uh huh.

Anybody driven on Park Avenue recently?

Stellar!

(4) Relish Round-About,
    (5) Pickle Parkway,
    (6) Dill Pickle Drive,
    (7) Sprung Fiasco Memorial Parkway, or, even better, Pickled Peckford Parkway

• Pay Cash
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

Just something to consider for all.

• Yippee