Coady hosts seniors forum

Dave Bartlett

Cost of drugs, home heating highlighted

St. John's South-Mount Pearl MP Siobhan Coady held a community consultation session on seniors issues Sunday night in St. John's. Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

The Liberal MP for St. John's South-Mount Pearl hosted a town hall forum on seniors issues on Sunday night in St. John's.
It's the second such forum Siobhan Coady has hosted since winning her seat in October's federal election.
"There's a lot of people that say ... they don't see their member of Parliament from one election to the next," said Coady just before the forum began.
Coady decided to hold regular forums so people can voice their concerns to her face to face.
The first town hall was on the economy, but even at that meeting seniors issues kept coming up.
"The whole issue of the economy is hurting seniors quit a bit," said Coady. "A lot of people are not able to retire when they want to or had expected to retire because of the change in the economy."
Coady expected the 40 or so people who came to the Royal Canadian Legion hall on Blackmarsh Road to talk about things such as pensions, affordable housing and pharmacare.
And all of those issues came up.
One of the people who spoke Sunday was Ralph Morris.
He's the vice-president of the Avalon chapter of the Canadian Association of Retired Persons.
Morris said low income seniors have been forgotten while the cost of living continues to soar.
"There's a number of people out there today who have to decide if they are going to buy food, if they are going to pay their light bill, (or) if they're going to buy their medications," he said.
"I think it's a crime in this country and something has to be done about it."
Morris said since the province signed the Hebron oil deal last summer, some seniors have had their rents go up by as much as 50 per cent.
He said some seniors have ended up couch-surfing - staying with a revolving door of relatives - or in long term care facilities.
Janet Fairley wanted to talk about seniors who are struggling to heat their homes.
She called the taxes on home heating fuel "horrendous."
"(Some seniors) turn their heat down. They go around their houses in coats because they are frozen," she said.
"You can chose to drive your car or not," she said "But you do have to keep warm,"
Fairley said she knows seniors who can only afford to have their heat on a couple of hours a day.
Coady nodded and said she's heard of others who go to shopping malls in the winter just to stay warm.
A number of people also brought up the issue of public sector pensions, which have seen no increase in years while current civil servants just got a 20 per cent raise this year.
City councilors Frank Galgay and Debbie Hanlon were also at the forum.
St. John's City Council has approved, and is in the process of forming, a mayors advisory committee for seniors.

dbartlett@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Liberal MP, Royal Canadian Legion, Canadian Association of Retired Persons

Geographic location: St. John's, Blackmarsh Road, Avalon Hebron

Comments

Comments

• Harry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Im no fan of Coady but Ches my friend it was Danny Williams and his ABC garbage that shafted our province. Coady is nothing more than yet another Newfie joke who got elected on Dannys coat tails and the ABC crap.

• Helen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I didn't see anything new in these arranged discussions like at Can. Legion, Blackmarsh Road. What happened the changes that were going to be made in Home Care for seniors and/or disabled persons. That's a real issue that needs to be discussed. Our Home Care costs just went up again. I voted NDP, but haven't heard from them either.

• jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

typical liberal, just all talk, trying to save her political butt for voting no to the budget, then less then 48 hours voting yes when her leader said jump. WHAT A JOKE !

• Liberal Ed
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Typical Siobhan Coady - an issue comes up, she consults with everyone in sight and then does absolutely nothing.

• greg
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

She should call a town hall forum and explain why she voted for an anti-NL budget and why she is still a member of that Liberal -Conervative Coalition. I'd go!

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Looks like Siobhan Coady is too worried about her public image these days rather then the people that voted to put her into office. Been hearing of people being cut from EI funding and programs, and Siobhan Coady can not even find the time to respond to email from the voters this federal budget forgot.

Hope she enjoy's her tax paid wages and perks now. Say good bye to them come next election. You should have ran with Harpo, since your spine shows little strength when helping those you accepted votes from.

Fool us once, shame on you, fool us twice, you get the EI line.

• Mildred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

You get what you voted for.

If you want better, then next time you go to vote, take the time and think about what your vote means.

• fedup
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

she is just another liberal coward.afraid,afraid.afraid!

• Ches
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Well said Nasty Nate. I'll be voting NDP next time as the silence on the big issues is deafening from MP Coady. Has she said anything since she voted FOR the last budget that shafted us yet again?

• Brian M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I find this news story about seniors a bit ironic given my family's recent experience with the office of Siobhan Coady, MP.

My mother phoned Ms. Coady's office back in December to get the form for the $200 heat rebate.

The staff person who answered the phone at first did not know about the rebate, but after additional questions, realised the rebate was a provincial government program and told my 87 year old mother to get the form from the internet.

My mother does not have the internet, she barely knows what it is. My mother is a voter in Ms. Coady's district.

Since MP offices do not have to pay postage, would it have killed her staffer to print off the form and mail it to a voter in her district?

My mother got the form later from a friend. Mrs. Coady will never get my mother's vote again.

• Floss
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Ms. Coady: Don't get discouraged by some of these negative remarks. At least you held a forum. Some of our MP's have not been heard of since they were elected. We have so many men in Federal politics, maybe we should let this WOMAN have a chance. I have no definite political party that I vote for. I make up my mind with each election. But, as Ms. Coady has been elected, let's give her a chance.

• Joy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Well thank you Mrs.Coady for caring
    about the seniors in this province.
    It seems like you can't win in this world.
    At least you are speaking on behalf of
    our great-Grandparents, Grandparents and our parents.
    No one should have to suffer in this place we all call home.I just wanted to
    say again on behalf of our Seniors
    Thanks for Caring and getting their issues out there for the public to see.

• Richard
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Brian - if you're upset about the availability of a provincial government form, for a provincial government program, run by the province, from a provincial government department, with provincial offices in the province's capital, why on earth would you blame your federal MP?

• James
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Ms. Coady's ceremonial voting against the budget (after getting the permission of her leader) still rots me.

Neither Ms. Coady or her leader, Mr. Ignatieff, have stated that they would rescind the cuts to NL's equalization if they get elected.

Because they will not rescind the cuts.

They are no better than Harper. Shame on you Ms. Coady, you were elected to represent us, not kiss up.

• Harry
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Helen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• jim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Liberal Ed
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• greg
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

• Nasty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

Fool us once, shame on you, fool us twice, you get the EI line.

• Mildred
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

You get what you voted for.

• fedup
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

she is just another liberal coward.afraid,afraid.afraid!

• Ches
    July 01, 2010 - 20:01

• Brian M
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

• Floss
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• Joy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

Well thank you Mrs.Coady for caring
    about the seniors in this province.
    It seems like you can't win in this world.
    At least you are speaking on behalf of
    our great-Grandparents, Grandparents and our parents.
    No one should have to suffer in this place we all call home.I just wanted to
    say again on behalf of our Seniors
    Thanks for Caring and getting their issues out there for the public to see.

• Richard
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• James
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

Because they will not rescind the cuts.