New ferry for Fogo Island and Change Islands on the Horizon

Staff ~ The Telegram

People who live on Fogo Island and Change Islands are one step closer to getting a new ferry.

The province announced today it is looking for expressions of interest from naval architectural consultants to replace the MV Captain Earl W. Winsor, the 37-year-old ferry that is serving the islands off the Northeast coast.

"This government remains steadfast in its commitment to replace the aging ferries in our fleet and this is yet another milestone in the ongoing process," said Transportation Minister Trevor Taylor in a news release.

The new ferry must be able to take 60 vehicles, have a lounge for 200 passengers, be a roll-on/roll-off vessel and be environmentally friendly.

The province is already in the process of building two new ferries which will start operating next year.
The replacement for Fogo and Change Islands will be one of two additional ferries which will be launched in the coming years.

In this years budget, the province announced $44 million for the construction of new provincial ferries with an additional $13.4 million for the maintenance of existing ferries and $7 million dollars for upgrades to terminals and wharves.

Geographic location: Change Islands, Fogo Island, Northeast

Comments

Comments

• The REAL steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I agree with Eli....It was an EOI...not a bid to produce...The Williams Govt have been announcing ferry's for years, and not one has been started. Stall tactics. And Trevor was in the media the other day and I felt even he didn't believe what he was saying...but just following orders from Dan the Man....ABCD....Anything but crazy Danny!

• Dwayne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Two boats were announced for marystown in June of 08 nothing has started yet so do not expect anything for a long time.

• Eli
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

To NL..
    Show me the hardware. Then I'll be a believer.

• Paul
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I certainly hope this works out for the residents of Fogo, as they need a new ferry desperately. The economy suffers because of the uncertainlty of the boats on there. Look at it today, there's more cars in the lineup than the ferry can handle.

• Eli
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Another snow job.

• Eli
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

To NL..
    Trevor is merely looking for expressions of interest. How long has that been going on. Call it a stall or a snow job, I'll believe it when I see something concrete.

• The REAL steve
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Dwayne
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Eli
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

To NL..
    Show me the hardware. Then I'll be a believer.

• Paul