Workers at ACAN Windows on strike

Staff ~ The Telegram

Workers at ACAN Windows Inc. in Paradise took to the picket lines this morning. Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

Workers at ACAN Windows Inc. are on the picket line this morning after turning away an offer from the company with 100 per cent of voters rejecting it.
About 125 workers, who make the windows and doors at the Paradise facility, say the company isn't offering enough money or benefits such as RRSPs, insurance or sick leave.
The workers say their anger was stoked this morning when a bus with blackened windows - believed to contain replacement workers - tried to cross the picket line.
It was turned away without any major incidents, according to an RNC officer.
Greg Pretty, a representative with the Fish, Food and Allied Workers' union which represents the employees, said the workers are prepared to stay on the line until an acceptable contract is reached.
He said the workers have been in a legal strike position since Friday and have been trying to get a collective agreement since November.
"The company is toeing a very tough line with the workers," he said.
Calls to ACAN Windows have not been answered.

Organizations: ACAN Windows, Allied Workers

Comments

Comments

• Girfriend
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

My boyfriend has worked at Acan for a nice few years now,
    I myself work as a receptionist, I am 25 and I have worked there for a less amount of time, I get more sick days , and I have had more raises then him and I make more money then him , (no union)
    He breaks his back doing hard labour 8 hours a day 5 days a week and is given almost nothing in return.
    Acan is a large company, making more then my company makes and they are paying much less for harder work,

We ourselves have a little princess now 4 years old and a little prince on the way.,., We too need to feed our families and Acan is not paying up, the cost of food and normal living is rising everyday and there wages are not increasing enough to say with normal everyday living.
    As for the scabs, I realize they are probably in hard shape but they should realize that this is wrong, people are trying to stand up for themselves to make things better for the poor, so the rich don't become more rich, while the poor become more poor, there only going to throw the employees into there same situation by doing this and then nothing gets accomplished and others are put right into the spot they came out of.
    No one wants to be on strike but sometimes they are forced to in order to feed there families.

• Simple Solution
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

If working conditions are that bad, why would these workers even stay there? I'm sure there are tons of jobs in St. John's where these people can get $13/h with no benefits. So, why are these guys still there?

And just in case people forgot, companies are in business to make money, NOT to provide people with work. Yes they make money from the work employees do, that's why they are called businesses and not non-profit. Their sole purpose is to make money!

As Willie referenced to unions, 'a long time ago', they did pave the way for Labour Laws, but do you honestly believe we'd loose the laws if unions didn't exist? The Confederation building would fall. Unions have outlived their usefullness. Demand and Supply now dictate wages and benefits. A gas station next to my house now pays $12/h plus benefits because they couldn't get workers at minimum wage. I believe that many nurses would be getting paid a heck of a lot higher if it weren't for their union, specifically those in rural areas. I get paid almost twice that of unionized employees in St. John's without a union... and benefits to boot.

If this company is so bad to work for, leave. But don't complain if someone is stupid enough to take your job afterwards. A union can't demand a company be a better employer. Once they can't keep staff, quality drops and HR costs go through the roof, they'll change, move or go out of business. Simple.

• Randall
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

To Whatever, and others who think scabs are ok, well I doubt it if you would be so keen on scabs if a bus load of em showed up to do your job for less than you make. If you union bashers knew anything about labour law, you would know that you have the unions to thank for most of the protections even you non union workers enjoy today.

• No Decent Jobs in NL
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

For some of those scab workers, $14 per hour is more than they have ever made in this province.....I respect what union's used to represent, and for the most part still do. As per Concerned...think of it exactly... how long will they pay workers more than their fulltime people... and the quality and effeciency will be low on the untrained workers. I don't think insulting scabs is going to solve all of the union/employer problems... My friend has been looking for work in this province for 6 months. He is a skilled tradesman and has worked in the oil patch for many years... 6 months and the only call back he got was for a dishwasher position... Watch TV and all you see is COME TO NEWFOUNDLAND... WE HAVE JOBS..That's a load of crap.... many of the scabs are newfoundlanders that came home to work from making much more $ than $14/hour... So in my opinion... Take your anger out on the company and picket responsibly... From what I heard this morning, is it was not just a 10 minute show down... I heard people were screaming and yelling with bats.... Holding the bus randsom and not letting them leave.... Almost flipping the bus... Someone is likely to get hurt... and it may not be the scabs... what happens if the bus backs up in a fury and runs a union worker down... Think of your safety and the safety of other human beings.

• Wife of Employee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

To those who think all workers from ACAN should be on long-time leave -
    Doug! Obviously, you're from NL living in AB - Why? I guess for better wages, better life for your family maybe? In any case, my husband wants a better life for him and his family too. What's wrong with that? Shut up and put up? I think not. My husband has been there for 10 years and nothing has changed in those 10 years. This company is still in the dark ages. There are such things as RRSP contributions, pension plans, etc. for companies who make millions of dollars every year. Maybe Doug and Whatever should open their minds a little more and look at the bigger picture here!!!!!!!

• RONNIE
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

ACAN should move fast to satisfy these workers. It would be a shame to have the positive image they've built over the years be maimed by this strike. Maybe they should think about all the additional advertising dollars they'll have to spend to recover from this. In the meantime, I would have no hesitation to buy their products. Their work is top quality.

• Whatever
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

In this economic gloom, what do you expect? Once again union workers want more money, sick days, etc.. and then there are people (scabs) who are willing to do whatever it takes to take care of their families. Randall you would do the same if you had a family to support and no steady income and if you wouldn't well that's the shame! The people in the bus were just doing what they were told to do. It's time that people grew up and started acting like adults. I drove by this morning and the things that I heard the picketers yelling were disgusting. How embarassing that some 50 year old man is calling somebody else that they can't see a p***y. My goodness get over yourselves. I am so sick of unions asking for more money and thinking that if they go on strike the whole world will shut down. Guess what? It won't!

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Can we see another AB/GFW Union mess here soon? Be funny to see this outfit pack up and move to NB. Then what di you win? Oh ya, thats right that big fat EI cheque. Good on ya.

• Jaycee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

The company's workers make excellent product. They should be rewarded as such. They take pride in their work and it shows.

• Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I would fire the whole lot of them and re-hire a decent workforce.

When one of your complaints are that there is not enough sick time, one questions what type of people are working there in the first place.

Most union folk think sick time is part of your annual leave package. I'd give em a long time off.

• isetheby
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

It really amazes me the number of morons that you get on these blogs. Without unions or contracts, you, as an employee have no, none, zilch, nada protection. For instance, If a supervisor doesn't like you your out the door with no recourse only the Labor relations Board. Without unions employers would have free reign to do what they want. Remember the industrial revolution and the conditions that these kids worked under. If your going to make an intelligent comment get the facts straight.

• Vickster
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

To Whatever from NL! You obviously don't know the full story! I know you have a right to an opinion, BUT once you know what is going on out there, I think you would have a different opinion!!!

Not only do the workers NOT have short term or long term disablity, or pension plan, or RSP or any say in medical and the list goes on.... But the casuals only make $8.50/hr and the regular workers only $13.20/hr. Not to mention...they get laid off two weeks before Xmas, every year!!!!

THOSE SO CALLED WORKERS WHO ARE WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR FAMILIES, (SCAB WORKERS), are being paid $14/hr. MORE THAN WHAT THE WORKERS WERE GETTING. Now do that make since. If you were an employee of Acan, wouldn't you take that as a slap in the face and be pissed? Anger is talking on the picket line! And you would do the same, if you had a family to support and someone was trying to take your job!

If they need a job, go to McDonalds, Tim's, etc. Home Care agencies are crying for workers. If they would do anything.....they won't mind going in and changing a dirty attends of an eldery person. Exactly!!! I didn't think so. LOL! So, they are not willing to do whatever....are they?

• Concerned
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

The people who should be SHAMED are those who say I'll kill you, I'll find out where you live and slash your tires, break your windows. I understand you are frustrated with your working conditions but be civil about it. True Newfoundlanders do not treat each other this way, I am disgusted by the actions that were taken today by the employees striking. I completely understand where you are coming from but this country is in a recession. Hundreds upon thousands of Newfoundlanders are flooding the island from Alberta, these scabs are taking any job they can get, to support their families, just like you are striking to support yours. You are men and women, old enough to know better, shaking a bus and uttering death threats to people is something I wouldn't even expect from a child. Grow up.

• Willie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

For all you idiots who know nothing about unions, think about the union next time you get a dinner break, a smoke break, vacations, sick days, etc... None of this was available a long time ago. Over the years, workers like the ACAN workers stood up and said this is enough and fought for improvements. Well, the fight is still on going. I would like to get a look at the ACAN books to see how much money they are making off the backs of the workers. Look at all the house going up in the area. Time for ACAN to pay up.

• Randall
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Shame on those scabs hiding away behind tinted windows. At least they didn't get through the line.

• James
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

For the people that don't work in an union job your comments have no value. I work at Acan and this company has made millions for years. This company won't pay a fair wage or even look at our future. Use us and treat us like dirt. My answer to some previous comments...
    Just like a newfoundlander....Don't stand together just take what I get as a Scab trying to cross our line you should be SHAMED.

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I used to work at ACAN windows but was lucky enough to get out of there. I can't think of a worse job. Employees are treated like dirt. No wonder they are striking.

• Tanya
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

My father is a worker at Acan windows (he was previously a worker at National Sea Products, until the cod fishery was closed..and it was bad times back then, he knows what it is to struggle), my father is a dedicated worker and makes little for the years of service he has dedicated to that company. The workers deserve a raise, my father makes less money than he did many years ago at the fishplant. I know times at hard for everyone, but I say shame to those who are willing to go in and take these peoples jobs..more so shame on the company..who would like to work for a company that disrespects their employees so much (in my opinion my father and other workers should leave and find a more respectful employer). People have their issues with unions..but without a union in this case..employees will never get pay raises or benefits(isn't it obvious when they send in more workers to replace long time dedicated ones). As for sick leave I believe they only get 2-3 days per year. God forbid you have something worse than the common cold. These are not auto workers making huge money..not even close..so please find out the info before you start making rude comments...these people have family to support as well

• Concerned
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

As far as I know the majority of the guys there are only getting 13$/hr and they have been there 10 or more yrs. They voted 100% to stike so obviously there is problems! ACAN is making a fortune and should share some of the profit with the employees. Yes there maybe replacement workers available but do you think the quality of the windows and doors built by these scabs will be the same quality as those built by the experienced employees? Not likely, I called today to cancel my order for ACAN windows that was placed last week!

• greg
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Scabs in 2009? Time to update our labour laws. The NL labour scene 2009, is a lot like Chicago 1930.

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I'm proud that I worked union all my life. If it wasn't for the unions I couldn't afford to do what I'm doing. Winter in Arizona. Summer up north. Travel back to The Rock this summer. When the union workers get a raise so do the non union workers. Also better training.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

I don't know where half of you get your logic. Willie there thinks that we need to review our history of the socialist movement. Just because Unionism has given us better working conditions and brought attention to work equality doesn't mean that it still functions well in our current society. People take advantage of the system, and it gives more problems then benefits. We gained democracy from totalitarianism, but we no longer live under a monarchy. We developed benefits from an obselete system and moved on. It is time we moved away from Unionism, for the chant equality but yet they get paid the more then someone for doing the same thing. It is complete stupidity.

And doesn't anyone see how crazy these ACAN workers are being? We are an in economic recession. Hundreds of people are coming back to Newfoundland from Alberta, desperately looking for a job that would pay them even $10 an hour. These people were making $13.50, and many people in our country are losing their jobs. Someone even mentioned if people wanted to go to work, they should work for McDonalds and that ACAN was riding the backs of their employees making millions. Doesn't McDonalds, or Tim Horton's do the same? And those jobs are for minimum wage, how can you live off that in these rough times? If Timmy's wanted to form a union, they would get scabs too, because there are people out there willing to work even for minimum wage to get by. If a job offer came up for $14/hr, and someone had bills to pay, or a starving family, why wouldn't they accept that job. Scab work or not, what makes the union more qualified to MAKE A LIVING? And the ACAN workers are whining on the picket line, yelling death threats at people who are just trying to work when they ungratefully refuse to.

So before you start shaking a bus to prove your point, maybe you should look at how selfish you are being during a near DEPRESSION. When you cut yourself like that ACAN, you are begging to have scabs.

• Worker
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

For all you know those scabs are in just as hard a situation as the workers. With today's economy, people have to take what they can get, whether it be scab work or not.

• Bones
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Everybody rejected it...Like, all of them? Something is obviously very wrong at this place.

• spectator
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Shame on the union workers uttering death threats to other Newfoundlanders...Beating on buses with no consequence. A regular person cannot carry weapons and beat on vehicles and utter death threats without being charged. What ever happened to civilized striking.

From a Spectator

• Pro Union
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I am from a union town, and I 100% disagree with other workers (scabs) coming in to do the work in place of these people on the picket line. There is a reason why these men and women are striking. Obviously an agreement could not be reached, and striking is always a last resort.
    I agree with Randall - if it weren't for unions protecting their employees years ago because of poor labour laws, labour laws would be no where near what they are today. It's kind of like keeping up with the Jones' of labour laws, and unions set the bar years ago.
    These Acan workers have my support 100%.

• Pro Union
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

I am from a union town, and I 100% disagree with other people (scabs) coming in to do the work of those men and women on the picket line. Striking is a last resort, and obviously these people could not get what they needed at the bargaining table.
    I agree with Randal, if it weren't for the formation of unions to protect their employees of what were the labour laws back then, we wouldn't be where we are now with today's labour laws. It's like keeping up with the Jones's of labour laws. The unions set the bar.
    These Acan men and women need our support, not people condemning them because they want better benefits, and an RSP plan included in their contract. I'm grateful that I work for a company who provides such things. And I don't think it's too much to ask for, and these people working at a rate of less than $14/hr - if you have a family, that is not a lot to live off of.
    The Acan workers have my 100% support, and I hope that you get what you need.

• Unions vs. Scabs
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Unions, Scabs, Unions, Scabs, Unions, Scabs, Up, Down, Up, Down, Pepsi, Coke, Real, Fake, Batman, Superman! Oh the humanity!

Let me take a direct quote from Vickster from NL regarding his (and unions view) on ''scab'' employees.

''You would do the same, if you had a family to support and someone was trying to take your job! ''

Do you want to know what happens when someone tries to apply for a job with a company (ie. ACAN) who uses unionized workers.....99.9% of the time, they are turned away, you know why,

Fancy that...that quote is useful in so many scenarios, let see what other fun I can have with this....

How about when a new employee is hired and is bullied by his fellow unionized members because he or she is a ''newbie''. Well,

How about when an employee is being laid off because of tough economic times and the company is closing its doors for good. The natural reaction of the union is to whine to the press about it,

How about when ACAN decides to contract out some work to non-unionized members to take an extra workload. In a cold day in hell! That won't happen because

How about when ACAN decides that manufacturing costs are cheaper somewhere else and decides to manufacture their quality windows in another province. Not a chance! Because....

Face it people, Unions don't want anyone applying for a job, not during a strike, not during any day of the week that ends in day. To them, it's just a state of mind where they believe this is MY TERRITORY AND NO ONE ELSE IS ALLOWED HERE.

NUFF SAID.

• Julian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Who owns that company/property ? The union ? Fire the whole lot. Pry out the roots of that wart called union.

• tuna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Glad we got Kohler windows.....

• Girfriend

• Nasty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Jaycee
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Doug
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

I would fire the whole lot of them and re-hire a decent workforce.

• isetheby

July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• spectator
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

From a Spectator

• Pro Union
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

These Acan workers have my support 100%.

• Pro Union
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

The Acan workers have my 100% support, and I hope that you get what you need.

• Unions vs. Scabs
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

NUFF SAID.

• Julian
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

• tuna
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

Glad we got Kohler windows.....