Child in cemetery controversy passes away

Everton McLean

A two-year-old child in Carbonear has died, just days after her story touched people across the province when her parents' request to have her buried between them was granted.

Amelia Engram, who was suffering from cancer, died Wednesday morning, her father, David Engram, said.

Engram said the family was mourning the loss, but were "coping as best we can."

"We have a lot of friends and family with us and we're taking it minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day."

The family had been embroiled in a dispute with the Interfaith Cemetery committee over the Engrams' request to buy three plots together, a centre plot for Amelia and one on either side for her parents.

That request was against cemetery policy and was refused. However, after the issue hit the media, clergy representing the three local churches that govern the cemetery agreed to change the rules, allowing people to buy single, double or triple plots.

Engram said the story went further than he expected. He called the issue a "misunderstanding" based on lack of information.

"It was the committee that decided they wanted to follow the rules and in the past they followed the rules and had no problems. In this case they met a family that wouldn't accept it," he said, adding he has no ill feelings toward the committee.

"It was just a circumstance that couldn't be avoided, I suppose."

The family will lay Amelia to rest Saturday. Engram said it means a lot to know the family will be buried together one day.

emclean@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Interfaith Cemetery committee

Geographic location: Carbonear

Comments

Comments

• Julia
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

My deepest condolences to this beautiful angels family. May she rest in peace. I am so glad your wish was granted as I believe every child should be able to rest eternally between their loving parents.

RIP sweet Amelia

• Kay
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Thinking of you at this very difficult time. As a mother myself I can't even begin to imagine your pain.

• Cristal
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Thoughts and prayers are with the family of this beautiful little girl. She was with you long enough to make a huge difference and that huge difference will bring you together again someday. I hope that she is a peace now.

• Cheryl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

thoughts and prayers are with you at this time....God provided you with a beautiful daughter...even though you only had a short time with her, she changed your lives forever...Now you will be able to rest beside your daughter again some day....

• Peggy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Rules in such a sensitive, delicate matter should not have even been an issue.
    Plain, simple compassion right from the
    beginning could have avoided all this unnecessary turmoil and agony. This family was already going through more than enough grief and heartache. I'm sure God couldn't care less about how many plots can be sold at one time to a family. How ridiculous!
    All family members should be together in their final resting place, if that is what they want.

I cannot even comprehend what you are going through, Mr. and Mrs. Engram.
    Your darling little Amelia is certainly with God now, and you will be together again.
    In this extreme time of sorrow, please try to surrender to your
    Creator and allow Him to hold you and comfort you and eventually accept His peace.
    Cry, scream, yell, get angry, get frustrated, just anything. God certainly understands. The answer to the question Why will not be known until you are united with your little Angel.
    God Bless You. I am so very, very sorry. My heart is breaking for you.
    Mere words are insufficient.

• Viki
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I m so sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to image how you are feeling right now. I am very happy that things worked out for you and that you will be able to rest alongside your daughter some day.

• BCM
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I hope no one from that cemetery committee has the face to show up to that funeral.

My heart goes out to that family for the difficult journey they endured with their darling daughter. A journey made much more difficult at a crucial time due to an insensitive bunch of hillbillies.

• Melissa
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• Ken
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Although we have never met, words can not express the sorrow I feel for the family right now. I am a father of a two year old son and I can't imagine what the parents are going through. May God help you in your time of sorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

• Julia
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

RIP sweet Amelia

• Kay
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Cristal
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• Cheryl
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• Peggy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Rules in such a sensitive, delicate matter should not have even been an issue.
    Plain, simple compassion right from the

I cannot even comprehend what you are going through, Mr. and Mrs. Engram.
    In this extreme time of sorrow, please try to surrender to your
    God Bless You. I am so very, very sorry. My heart is breaking for you.
    Mere words are insufficient.

• Viki
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• BCM
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

• Melissa
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• Ken