Architectural addition

Staff ~ The Telegram

Looking almost like an architectural addition to downtown St. John's, the 91,000 tonne cruise ship Celebrity Constellation paid a brief visit to the port Tuesday. The 2,000 passengers had about five hours to enjoy the city before the vessel left for its n

Comments

Comments

• Jen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Having just returned from St. John's, I have to say it's a great improvement from what I saw. I grew up in St. John's and the downtown is not the least bit nice. I brought 2 visitors who had never been to Newfoundland before and we couldn't even get to the water front due to construction. The city councillors should take a visit to Halifax to get some insight on how to combine heritage buildings with new ones and see what a beautiful harbour front they have. There is a gorgeous boardwalk that goes all around the harbour and includes many restaurants, shops, etc. You couldn't find a restaurant on the harbour in St. John's if you tried. My one friend wanted to go for some seafood on the harbour and the closest we got was Witless Bay. Pretty sad for such a pretty place.

• Botox Bob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

It looks like the ship is parked over the bubble. eew.

• anothertaxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

i agree with the taxpayer from NL... that is only one Mayor in One place each town has a Mayor and then we have our councilors.. And that is only the first level off our government.

• Catherine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

If we didn't have people on council who are willing to preserve historical building, St. John's would be filled with unsightly building like Atlantic Place, the old Post Office building, and City Hall for that matter. If there hadn't been a couple of major fires I'm sure we would have more lovely building left. We're living in what's suppose to be the oldest city in North America but, people keep destroying what little we have left instead of taking care of it for future generations and tourists who come here and expect to see some history. There needs to be some balance between historical and modern architecture (and The Rooms definitely was not it...).

• Wait...
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Maybe if we do not let Shammy Dope in we can see a more modern skyline. That woman needs to retire once and for all.

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I'm sure Dok would be happy to leave it there, although I doubt Shannie would be too thrilled since it doesn't fit in with the heritage doctrine.

• tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

looks a lot better than some of the crap downtown. modern oh my!

• Lisa
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Catherine at last a voice of reason...I agree 100%....

• Runaway
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Away! Away! Oh what i would not give to be on the cruise ship when she leaves. Away from all this municipal election foolishness. Away from all the other political shenanigans being fessed up to in Provincial court right now. Away Away!!

• FireLake Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Further to the point on local achitecture..
    A couple of years ago I was having a drink with a co-worker of mine from the UK. We were chatting casually when he looked accross the street at St. John's city hall and asked - What's that, a bomb shelter? I was about to join in on the laugh when I realized he was serious.

• proud towmie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Should have left her there to take away from the monstrosity known as Atlantic place. Beauty and the beast. I hope the new council has a better vision for the down town then all previous councils. But I doubt it.....

• cornergirl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Isn't this what the last Battery Motel proposal looked like? - the arse end of a cruise ship stuck in the side of Signal Hill.

• baynam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

It looks better than the run down buildings on the western end of Duckworth and Water streets, that no one can turn into a feasible business venture due to Shannies regulations.

• Taxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

If you look closely you can see our esteemed mayor gladhanding each and every passenger. He has nothing better to do. The mayor's job pays $95,000 a year plus tax incentives, perks and travel. Nice work if you can get it. I say we do away with the whole useless council and put the money into pothole repair.

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Hey Tom, why don't you keep your dumb @ss comments to yourself and tend to your trap lines. That's why baymen get a bad name.

• Ryan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

I agree with Tom

• Jen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Botox Bob
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

It looks like the ship is parked over the bubble. eew.

• anothertaxpayer
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Catherine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Wait...
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• tom
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

looks a lot better than some of the crap downtown. modern oh my!

• Lisa
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

Catherine at last a voice of reason...I agree 100%....

• Runaway
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• FireLake Joe
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

Further to the point on local achitecture..

• proud towmie