Comments

Comments

• Tonya
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

At least if he is in the hospital he can recieve the treatment he needs...there is no death penalty in canada, so they can't put him down ..i highly doubt he is suffering like a sick dog...i would imagine tho, with the proper treatment, he will realize what he actually did:-(...mental disease is a serious infliction in some, especially when it affects the person as a whole. This was a sad story for both idividuals and thier families involved:-( Some people who are schizophrenic dont realize they have a medical problem, and will not willingly find treatment for thier problem, as with this story here, the outcome of not doing so proved to be fatal and an innocent man paid the ultimate price for the negligence:-(

• prettypeeved
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

This is a prime example why I fell that capital punishment should be instituted.

a few years back I read a study that said in HMP, it costs taxpayers $63,000 annually to keep one prisoner locked up. Do the math people, if capital punishment was instituted, we'd never see a pothole in Newfoundland. some of you are saying My god that's harsh! why would he say such a thing! ....my response to that is, you nailed your own coffin when you intentionally took a life.

• DeeBee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

I am glad we live in such a civilized society. We'd put down a dog if it was suffering, but here's an individual who is mentally ill and our 'humane' solution is to lock him up for a year in a psych ward. He isn't going to get better and, as the board has indicated, he doesn't have insight into his illness. To release this man - EVER - is to put the public at risk again. Should be interesting to see what this board decides next year and again in five years... I wonder how long it will be before this incident slips from people's memories and he is released.

• Tonya