Cab drivers hand bitten, cash robbed

Staff ~ The Telegram

At 1:10 a.m. today, a taxi cab driver reported being assaulted and robbed near Queens Road in St. John's.
The RNC report that the cab driver says he picked up two adult males on George Street and when the cab stopped, one of the suspects paid the driver.
When the driver took out cash to make change, the suspect grabbed the money, but the cab driver resisted. The suspect then bit the driver's hand and got away with a small amount of cash.
Police officers searched the area but were unable to locate the suspect.
Injuries were minor.
The investigation is continuing.

Geographic location: Queens Road, St. John's, George Street

Comments

Comments

• Derek
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Being a cabbie myself I'd say he was probably saying 'HELP' desperately into his mike.
    Personally, I work hard for my money and if someone is trying to take it I'm not giving it up willingly to some doped up, boozed up a--hole who's too lazy or stupid to come by his money honestly.
    Donny, I find your implication about the driver saying something very offensive. Not all cabbies would provoke passengers by their comments, and not all passengers are angels.

• Just not right
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

If these acts of violence are going to keep taking place against cab drivers, next thing there's going to be a divide between the front and back of the cab like there is away. These two men should be ashamed of themselves. Disgusting.

• chomp
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Donny Dooley from Dild0, NL writes: How many times do you have to be told not to resist when you are being robbed?
    Then again, maybe the driver said something?

I believe the cabbie said BITE ME

• Stan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

lets consider this bite on the hand a slap on the wrist - compared to what could have happened - for someone who should have either gave up the money or pulled his own weapon out and beat - or bite - that robber guy.

• al
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Dooley your a moron... and not to mention a Troll...

Get a life my son, and do something productive instead of trolling news stories and making your ignorant remarks...

• Maddy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Does this mean that our NL cabbies will now be like the cabbies in NY...I personally think any cab doing the downtown run scene should have cabs with the protective shield dividing them from the passengers.

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

How many times do you have to be told not to resist when you are being robbed?
    Then again, maybe the driver said something?

• Derek
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Just not right
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• chomp
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

Then again, maybe the driver said something?

I believe the cabbie said BITE ME

• Stan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• al
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

Dooley your a moron... and not to mention a Troll...

• Maddy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

• Donny
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

How many times do you have to be told not to resist when you are being robbed?
    Then again, maybe the driver said something?