Comments

Comments

• Patricia
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Along with several others, I was just entering a classroom at MUN (1st year French) when the news came. The rest of that weekend is etched permanently in my mind as one of sadness, tears, and prayer: at Mass that Friday afternoon with the MUN Newman Club, and on Sunday, with President Kennedy's name heading the list of those who'd recently died. It was so unreal -- the headlines in Saturday's Daily News were the biggest I'd ever seen, and all the guys at class (there were Saturday classes back then) were wearing black ties. Even now, 46 years later, that whole weekend is clear in my mind, even the news of Oswald's shooting, heard when our group of friends had stopped into a store for a Coke. It had a huge effect on most of us teenagers back then, and I will never forget the solemnity of the funeral. In 1993, I finally got to visit JFK's grave in Arlington, and even after all that time, shed many tears, it was so overwhelming. We all knew that we'd witnessed a major historical event, which changed everything. I think that from that point, everything started to go downhill for the US. Things just began falling apart. I still pray for JFK and his family, especially this month, which Catholics observe as the month dedicated to remembering and praying for the dead.

• Harvey
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Why ask PROMINENT NLers to remember November 22, 1963? Are they more figurative than ordinary NLers?

I can assure you that so many ordinary NLers remember that day with clarity!!!

I bought the picture of JFK, referred to, and parceled it home to my parents. Until resettlement it held a prominent place in our home...and we weren't catholics!!!!

• Effie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I remember that day very well.I was at home preparing for my daughter 3rd birthday party. The phone rang , it was my sisters voice I heard on the other end of the line,she said do you have the radio on My answer was no I am too busy with about 20 little three year olds running around. When she told me they had just heard that President Kennedy had been shot. I dont remember much about the party after that, I just kept the children amused and gave them cake and loot bags, then the parents came to pick up the little ones. We spent the nezt 3 or 4 days watching the tv. it was such a shock, It was on everyones mind I guess, how safe is our world now. Tomorrow Nov 22nd our daughter will be 49, alot has happened since that sad day.

• vickie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

hi i know where i was in marystown walking home when i heard the news it was like a cloud went over the sky .everybody was talking about this tradgey .i got the telegram it was in .sad day neverforget it

• don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

It is interesting that this story shows that people in Newfoundland and Labrador were very emotionally affected by the assassination of US President John F. Kennedy. Perhaps it is a verification that we were more American than we thought. After all, JFK was not our President, we are Canadians. Perhaps our association with the United States military and the Boston States went deeper than we realized. Without doubt, Friday, November 22, 1963, was a very dark day indeed. Evil won the day and has continued to diminish our lives ever since. That day in Dallas, Texas was the beginning of the end for the United States of America. Just like the decline and fall of the Roman empire and the British empire before it, history has recorded the beginning of the decline and fall of the American empire. The official line was that a lone gunman, a disgruntled ex-marine with communist leanings named Lee Harvey Oswald was solely responsible for the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Many conspiracy theories since that day have claimed that others were involved in a plot to kill Kennedy and that more than one gunman carried out the foul deed. In over 45 years, despite a long list of suspects and investigations, no other person has ever been convicted of involvement in the assassination. Without revealing the source of my information, a few years ago I had the opportunity to read a very interesting report that outlined a number of inconsistencies with the findings and conclusions of the Warren Commission which investigated President Kennedy's assassination. The content of that report convinced me that at there was a conspiracy to kill Kennedy and that least one other assassin was involved. I recall one of the inconsistencies in the Warren report which referred to the testimony of JFK's widow Jackie who testified: If only I had been turned to my right I could have seen what was happening and pulled him (JFK) down. Naturally, the shock of being 18 inches away from someone when they are shot with a high powered rifle is traumatic and would likely blur a persons memory of what happened. However, the Warren Commission failed to report the facts which were missing from Jackie Kennedy's testimony. The Warren Commission knew but failed to report that the Zapruder film of the assassination clearly shows the fact that Jackie Kennedy had not only turned to her right but that she had actually grabbed hold of JFK's left arm with both of her hands and was trying to pull him down to safety from the line of gunfire. Regrettably, she failed to do so in time and Kennedy was shot in the head seconds later and died. The Warren Commission report is full of poor research and inconsistencies like that contained in Jackie Kennedy's testimony. Like any well developed lie conjured for public acceptance there is much more information that was pure fiction but was reported as fact and repeated over and over until it was accepted as fact. There are people involved in JFK's murder who have yet to be identified and criminally charged. I know that some of my detractors are getting all fired up! Nevertheless, based on what I read, I don't mind being called a conspiracy theorist or worse! While JFK was not a saint in life, his murderers took his young life, took a husband from his young wife, took a father from two small children and took a bright and guiding light from democracy and freedom around the world. Fortunately, there is no statutory time limitation on prosecution for murder. Perhaps the other persons involved will all have died before the truth comes out, either way, they deserve and will receive the penalty of death and damnation for what they did.

• Patricia
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Harvey
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

I can assure you that so many ordinary NLers remember that day with clarity!!!

• Effie