Comments

Comments

• Telling it like it is
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

To TaxPayerII,

I don't know where to begin on your rant.

You belong on the Fox News channel as your just as diluted as Bill O'Reilly, Anne Coulter and Glenn Beck.

First off, the international airport is used by the majority of Newfoundland air travellers....so if you want to throw Mount Pearl under the bus, then throw every other community under there as well.

metrobus...okay, I have lived in Mount pearl for nearly 30 years, I have never once taken the bus and know only 1 person who actually does. The metrobus is the worst public (again PUBLIC) transit service I have ever seen. The very fact it takes between 1-2 hours to go from Mount pearl to MUN is outrageous.

As for water and sewer, your capitalistic views on economics are laughable at best.

Finally....as for Robin Hood bay, from now on, I suggest Mount Pearl residents dump their garbage on TaxPayerII front lawn.

Have a nice day :)

Let's not forget...st. John's residents just love to state how Mount Pearl residents drive into town, work then go home. I guess the fact they go to St. John's restaurants at lunch time, shop at the Avalon Mall and Stavanger drive, pumping their hard earned money into the St. John's economy is not appreciated.

From now on, whenever I can, I'll do my shopping online and eat at Mount Pearl restaurants and diners.

• gunther
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Taxpayer ll from NL writes: ...I can't understand why...

There's a lot of things you don't understand.

• arnold
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Taxpayer II = Nasty Nate so don't be surprised at the stupid comments he makes. Notice the style, grammar and spelling as well as how quick the comment goes up ? He sits in front of his computer all day long... just waiting...

• Max
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Hey TS,

It is true people from Mt.Pearl and all the other freeloading baymen from outports such as kilbride, goulds, southern shore, torbay, cbs and paradise drive on your roads but we also shop in your stores, dine in your restaurants and work in our capital city-trust me if any surrounding communities had the opportunities St. Johns has to house hospitals, universities, airports, federal and provincial government buildings they would not complain about people driving on their roads. These freeloading baymen who use your infrastructure on a daily basis are also pumping $$$ into the capital city on daily basis as well. If the province decided to move all their civil servants to these communities and out of st. johns I would suspect all these free loading baymen town councils would be licking their chops at that chance.

As for the baymen not contributing to the team gushue highway again this is not the baymens fault. The freeloading baymens town councils realize that this highway is a provincial highway and as a result refuse to pay to maintain it. dont see gander or corner brook plows clearing the tch now do you? If you got a beef with that you should take it up with your own city council and not the freeloading baymens town councils. I guess all those freeloading baymen are not as stunned as they look after all..

• T
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

to Max Power:
    touche....St. John's definitely benefits from the business of other towns.
    but why do you keep using the term freeloading baymen in your paragraph(s)? are you somehow implying that thats what I said? because if you knew me, and knew the fact that I am not originally from St. Johns, you would know that the last thing I would do would be call people in places outside of st.john's a freeloading bayman . Besides, how exactly does Mount Pearl people qualify as baymen? theres no bay! j/k.

you had quite a rant there, but I was just commenting on one particular issue....the roadways. My point is that half of the reason why St. John's roads are in such bad shape is because of the volume of traffic on them. It seems that everyone is quick to jump on the bandwagon of bashing st. john's roads, but nobody wants to assist in maintaining roads that are CLEARLY going to be used by residents of many other towns. Wouldn't it make life easier for everyone to have the gushue highway (not JUST st. john's residents?)? it never would have happened at all if St. John's hadn't stepped up to say that they would take care of the maintenance. it just seems fair that all surrounding towns should play their part.

• Taxpayer ll
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I can't understand why Mt. Pearl and Paradise don't pay the same as St. John's for water and sewer. If anything they should be paying more(same sevice spread over fewer households). Mt. Pearl uses the St. John's fire department, St. John's hospitals,St. John's metrobus, St. John's landfill, St.Johns airport, St. John's water and sewer, yet they they pay less for this then the people of St. John's. There is something wrong here. Mt. Pearl is in reality a part of St. John's in everyway, except when it comes to paying their fair share...nice work Mt. Pearl.

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Ummm, there is no Airport in St. John's, it's in Torbay.
    The Metrobus is contracted out, not something the City of St. John's PROVIDES to Mt. Pearl.
    The St. John's Hospitals are PROVINCIAL hospitals.
    Mt. pearl has it's own fire department.
    Mt. pearl using St. John's water and sewer? How about the fact that the City of St. John's uses water from Bay Bulls and Portugal cove.

I think the Taxpayer II needs to go back to school, perhaps in a Mt. pearl school? :)

• Keith
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

We are not part of St John's. Our services are excellent and treated fair here. Unlike TOWN, we have clear streets in the winter without our mayor crying on the radio about the overbudget of snowclearing. Doc O'keefe should get tips from our council and then just maybe the steets in TOWN might get done properly a couple of days after a storm. Heaven forbid the steets be like ours during a snowstorm. But then again we have proper snow removal equipment. How can a truck travelling 60 kms an hour plow a street. The blade bounces too much over the bumps and ruts in the road to get the snow completely of the road plus the load of salt rusts out the dump before it is all used. Doc says Don't use that salt becuase we need to save money.Safety don't matter .

• T
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Hi Taxpayer:
    While I agree with the general gist of your statement, I thought I would just point out that St. John's municipal taxes do not pay for the hospitals or the airport..... figured I would get that out there before somebody jumps all over you for it and totally misses the point you were trying to make :)
    Not to mention the fact, by the way, that most of the residents of Mount Pearl are driving to their jobs in St. John's, where they are using our roadways. I still can't get over the fact that they aren't going to pay for maintenance of the Gushue highway. give me a break!

• WTF
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Here we go again. An unemployed knobb makes a ridiculous comment and people give him the attention he so desperately needs.

• Telling it like it is
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

To TaxPayerII,

I don't know where to begin on your rant.

Have a nice day :)

• gunther
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

Taxpayer ll from NL writes: ...I can't understand why...

There's a lot of things you don't understand.

• arnold
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Max
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Hey TS,

• T
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

to Max Power:
    touche....St. John's definitely benefits from the business of other towns.

• Taxpayer ll
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Ummm, there is no Airport in St. John's, it's in Torbay.
    The St. John's Hospitals are PROVINCIAL hospitals.
    Mt. pearl has it's own fire department.

• Keith