Wilds idea

Steve
Steve Bartlett

High-end resort projects going after little-known tax credit; could change tourism landscape

Jerry Bishop knocks snow off the pines along the Salmonier River as he hops around like the rabbits that have obviously been tearing through the dense stand of trees.

He comes to a full stop in an opening and excitedly declares, "The house will be here."

Bishop is hyped.

He and the others in the foursome that owns The Wilds have an ambitious plan to turn their golf course-hotel combo off Salmonier Line into a four-star resort.

Eric Coombs and Jerry Bishop are part of the group that owns The Wilds. They're going to offer building lots along the river flowing behind them as they expand their property and turn it into a four-star resort. - Photo by Steve Bartlett/The Telegram

First in a two-part series

Bishop is hyped.

It's been on their minds for a while, and a little-known provincial tax credit is providing the impetus to move forward.

Such incentives don't usually make the news, except following a budget or when someone is guilty of abusing them.

However, if the resort property investment tax credit meets its objective, it has the potential to generate headlines from the spinoffs it will bring - multimillion-dollar projects, investment opportunities and more tourists.

The incentive, which aims to get individuals and businesses to invest in resort properties, is actually not new.

It was introduced in June 2007 after a report from three years earlier found a demand exists for year-round tourism properties with a minimum of 50 units and quality ratings of three stars or more.

To spur such development, the initiative gives a 45 per cent tax credit on money invested in newly constructed resort units that meet certain standards.

According to the Department of Finance, five groups have registered for the program.

None have completed a resort, a spokeswoman says, and no tax credits have been provided.

The Wilds group is one of the parties intent on changing that.

The owners - Bishop, Glen Roebothan, Ed Drover and Eric Coombs - have come up with a collective vision to expand their 340-acre property off Salmonier Line into a bustling year-round resort.

"It's going to be a restful, peaceful lifestyle (facility), with a multitude of activities," Bishop says. "(People) are going to be able to salmon fish or just walk the river. ... Some people like to walk nature trails, we'll have nature trails and all that. If they want to go cross-country skiing, we're going to open up the golf course cart paths for skiing."

(Since the topic involves The Wilds, tax breaks and the province, it's important to note that Premier Danny Williams' blind trust divested itself of his interest in the property more than two years ago.)

After passing regulations and environmental assessments - Bishop even spent two days tracking through the woods to ensure a rare lichen wasn't on the property - the first public phase of The Wilds' plan will begin early in the new year when they start selling cottages and suites.

The furnished units will be plugged as both a place to stay and an investment opportunity for the public.

People who buy in will be able to use the place for up to 90 days a year.

They'll then place it in the resort's rental pool for the remaining 275.

Money collected from the pool will then be shared between the resort and the cottage/suite owners.

The rental revenue, combined with the tax credit, makes it a win-win for buyers, says Coombs.

"You're going to get some money back on your rent, you're going to get a 45 per cent tax credit, real estate will be quality-built and hold their value. ... If nothing else, it will be a good investment," he says.

The sharing concept is popular at resort properties across the continent and, according to Coombs, "works well."

The aim at The Wilds is to increase the number of rooms available from the 40 to a minimum of 90.

They need to add at least 50 units - and a variety of amenities, including a spa - to qualify for the tax credit.

Having the extra rooms in the rental pool will enable The Wilds to accept and pursue business it's currently missing out on - conventions, business meetings and larger functions.

"The demand is definitely there," says Rhonda Reddy, who handles sales and events and says she regularly turns away bigger events.

The expansion will also give the resort more rooms to sell for parties and weddings - with almost 40 couples exchanging vows in 2009, one of the hotel's biggest draws.

"We hate it when people come out here and have a wedding and half the people got to get on a bus and go back to St. John's," Bishop says. "How can they sit down and enjoy themselves at the wedding and then all pile on a bus ... or drive home?"

Besides the cottages and suites - which should start at around $250,000 and $150,000, respectively; the prices haven't been finalized - The Wilds will be selling executive blocks of land along the Salmonier River.

Those are expected to go for $100,000.

It's expected people who buy those - which will be known as the Riverview Lots - will live there year-round, but they'll still have the option of putting the property in the rental pool.

"We've had a lot of inquiries from golfers coming up on the 18th hole, looking on and saying, 'Can I buy I lot?'" Coombs says.

With the once-promising Humber Valley Resort bankrupt and dismantled, the owners know some will be skeptical of their Wilds idea.

Bishop says their project is different because they have an established business base and they are catering to it.

"We're not looking to sell these things overseas," he explains. "If we had to build this to try to sell it to England or New York or what have you ... I don't know if we've be going ahead. We've got local market and got a lot of friends we've bounced this off and we've had a lot of people already contact us and say, 'We want one. We want one.'"

"We're going to be selling these for the value that they would command in this marketplace, which is very different than Corner Brook" Coombs adds. The land was sold for a lot more than a piece of land would have sold for in that marketplace."

The risk, he says, is being diminished because the development will be shared by multiple owners.

He says they won't commit to any large-scale construction until they have a commitment to build 50.

"And our plan to mitigate the risk, to either the investor as well as ourselves, is to pre-sell these. We're going to pre-sell 50 units and then we'll start building them," Coombs explains, adding the economy in the St. John's area is ripe for such investment opportunities.

Bishop, Coombs and crew hope to sell the units over the winter and then break ground in the spring. They expect construction will continue over 2010 and 2011.

"Whether it's April or May or March depends on the weather," Bishop says.

Bruce Sparkes, chairman of Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador, said his organization welcomes the resort property tax credit because it provides incentives and encourages investment in the tourism industry.

However, he notes he would like to see such a program introduced to assist existing operators in upgrading their sites.

"While new is nice, we've got the people that have been fighting here for years to stay alive and it'd be nice if there was a program to help them," Sparkes says.

Monday: Welcome to the Fields of Athen-ry, another developer's vision to avail of the resort property tax.

sbartlett@thetelegram.com

Organizations: The Wilds, Department of Finance, Humber Valley Resort Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador

Geographic location: Salmonier River, St. John's, England New York Corner Brook Athen

Comments

Comments

• Joan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

What another give-away of tax-payers money and oil revenue..If peaple don t realize by now how crooked and underhanded Danny Williams is,then you need help.He has given away more of my hard earned tax money then any premier ever has before.I guess most peaple in this province are plainly blind or just stupid

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Isn't Danny Williams one of
    the four who own the Wilds ?
    Yep, the rich get richer !!!

• Patrick
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

While I certainly dont support the building of large resorts and the extensive development of wilderness areas as it will no doubt destroy the fishing/hunting in the area. I just as strongly disapprove of the squatters that had trailers, derelict buses,clapboard shacks and other shantys that scarred the landscape for decades. As NLer's we are our own worst enemy when it comes to the woods. Every single time I come home for a vacation I spend most of my time traipsing around in the country fishing,hunting or just going in for a boilup and I always come out with twice the garbage I went in with because of lazy slobs that leave their trash behind in the woods. The people that had campers set up in those areas left behind untold amounts of garbage, not all of them, but most of them. As for the resort idea I think the wilderness in NL should remain just that, for all to enjoy, not just rich suit dummies who want to rough it at a wilderness retreat and go
    trouting . Leave the area as it is, and if you go in there, pack it in, pack it out!!

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I thought someone tried this at Humber Valley.

• Chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Oh,

To Mr. Bishop:

You spent two days tracking through the woods searching for a rare lichen.

What are your credidentials? Are you a Botanist? Where did you take biology?

I'm sorry, but telling me that a business man over 60 years old hiked through the wilderness for two and was unable to find a rare lichen does not give me any more comfort. What constitutes a rare lichen ?

The rare lichen Mr. Bishop is refering to is Erioderma pedicellatum , the Boreal Felt lichen. The article does'nt even name the lichen, so how can we even be sure that this is the lichen he tracked the wilderness for two days for?

I want REAL scientists in the woods. Real Botanists. Not some stakeholder in the project to be.

• arnold
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

do u people know what divested means ? morons

• Jed
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Bys'
    Ye better have that river declared catch and release only. You all wouldn t want too many of them pesky second-class locals hanging around your expensive resort.

• gaffer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I guess this is the beginning of the end for the ordinary people here in NL. What's next I wonder?could it be the privitization of the Salmonier river itself, it would'nt surprise me one bit. Bill Power was an outdoor columnist for the Evening Telegram for years and always took up the fight for the small guy and he predicted years ago that in not to many years the salmon rivers in NL. would meet the same fate as the rivers in NS. and NB. Do you think for a minute these people with their $100,000 lots are going to give you free access through their property to get to the river !!!!!! I don't think so. Get ready ordinary people of NL. to pay the big bucks to fish on the Salmonier river,believe me it's going to happen. Bill Power must be rolling over in his grave

• Bones II
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Help us: I wouldn't know, haters conveniently ignore the fact I don't know the man, every time I say I don't know the man, lol. I've told them I never even met the man. It's not hard to understand, but haters refuse to. I guess it must be easier if they can link me somehow? They can't and they won't, because I am not, lol. You figure it out, because, honestly, I can't, lol. I'm happy you DID notice the key phrase here being OWNERSHIP - in wondering if Williams gets a perk for owning it. Anyone who DOES NOT own this land, has little reason to complain. Why would they, it's not theirs.

Your question is either hidden or so obtuse it doesn't even warrant a response, but I'll try to answer to the best of my ability Don't try to hide, bury, mask, or otherwise disguise it in any post you make, but ask your question directly. If I know, I will answer, if I do not know, I will tell you I do not know. I won't post anything non-factual and I'll leave the insults out of it just so I can provide a complete, unadulterated response to this mysterious question the haters are accusing me of not answering. lol Ask away, but be prepared to answer some questions I have as well, without the insulting demeanor, k?

Another thing: I don't drink, ever. I have no problem with people that do, I just choose not to. Knowing I don't drink, can you think of at least one other reason I'd be up so late? lol Are you someone who thinks Friday=Booze?

• Avalongirl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

What a great idea, drive the economy on the avalon, provide more employment opportunities. People are skeptic, think of the positive impact this could have. I am a proud NFLD'er, but we are our own worst enemy every time some wants to develop, build or change something with the hopes of making it better there are always a group on a band wagon waving there flag of disapproval or turning it political. So what Danny thinks great idea and has put his blind faith in this project, he was a succesful business man before he was premier and he made really good business decesions which made him a wealthy man. I bet if this had to developed somewhere that Williams had no prior affiliation to, most people would not have much to say about the tax breaks. They may be getting a big tax break, but if this takes off like they are hoping that 45% break will filter back through the economy from tourisum to employment. In regards to kicking families from there camp ground, unfortunatley the developers OWN the land. Just have to bite the bullet and do what I do PAY for a camp site.

• Help us Bones
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Is this not a conflict of interest for our beloved honest open and transparent premier? Is he still the principal owner in all this? Does he benefit from the 45 percent tax credit? Perhaps it all will go into the Williams Family Trust and sit there and collect interest. Harold Druken Jr and Rex Gowdie have given more to charity that The Williams Family Trust. Help us Bones. Please no insults like you usually do especially at 1am after you have had too much to drink and call everone morons idiots and haters. You have worn that out my boy. Not once yesterday did you answer any question you were asked, but you did bring us up to date on the video game business. Bring us up to date on The Wilds of Salmonier Bones.

• Bruce
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Danny Williams sold this property years ago, by the way. Read the story. What difference would it make to him now what the owners do with it?

This does not prevent any one from building a cheaper cabin elsewhere, or finding a good spot to fix a trailer. Rural Newfoundland is full of cheap land, for God's sake. Just a few kilometres down the road you have communities like Colinet that have houses and land for sale at bargain prices.

Tying this to that extinct mobile home slum further up the road is ridiculous.

• steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Did the poor people you speak of own the land? No. I have my trailer in a park in ontario and I pay for that service. Are these the same poor people that have quads and cigarettes and booze every weekend while their camping on land they don,t own. You are shortsighted at best.I hope they do develop it and make a lot of money,its not against the law to make money,and by the way am a Nflder and I drink beer as well,but i don,t mind paying for the camping fees.

• Brett
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I just don't see this being far enough away for it to be worth while as a resort.

Have they done any work to date there? Terra Nova has been inching along for a few years.

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Their vision is a bustling year-round resort ....
    'We've got local market and got a lot of friends we've bounced this off and we've had a lot of people already contact us and say, 'We want one. We want one.' '
    Crunch the numbers and ask how many locals are going to spend $450,000????
    On the west coast visitors found out that property in places out da bay were much more reasonable, and guess what--our property values went up...
    Not sure if this is happenstance, just saying...
    That government break was intended to help existing operations...
    Not to mention having as anchor a golf course that is playable how many days of the year??? In the St John's & Avalon weather?? I'd guess 45/365....
    $450 K???????
    Bummer of an idea...

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Just a note to Stop the racket,, 80% of the people did wake up and decided quite strongly that they want Danny. Suck it up you!!!

• Stop The Racket
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Mary you nailed it my dear. The Wilds is owned by Danny Williams. It would look bad if he only had the campers moved from that are so he had it done province wide. When will peop[le wake up and see what a crook and manipulator Danny Williams really is?

• Mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I guess the Salmonier salmon-sea trout runs are to suffer yet another blow..... will we ever learn from our previous grievous errors about golf courses and housing developments on the banks of rivers with some excuse for a buffer zone ?????

• Chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

As a regular fly-fisherman on the salmonier river, I can only think that this is truely the beggining of the end for the river's already foggy salmon returns.

Many questions arise when I read this. Why was the general public not asked before this decision was made?

Where is the sewage from these resorts going to go ( the river? ) ?

How will this in any way shape or form benefit the surrounding wilderness? It Will NOT.

Mark my words, the construction of this resort/estates will jeopardize the well being of the near by avalon wilderness reserve, salmonier river and surrounding ANCIENT avalon forest.

It is funny how a regular joe could apply for a cabin permit on the side of a river and be denied, yet these guys can build a city on the side of a schedualed salmon river.

Elites run the show. Money talks.

• Abbott
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Money talks and bulls@#$ walks....

• David W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Can you people read? Danny Williams does not own this property. And for all those 'squatters . You don't own the land. Go to the crown lands office and apply for it or bring your trailer to a campground and pay like eveyone else!!!

• MARY
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

THATS HOW COME ALL THOSEPOORPEOPLE HAD TO MOVE THERE TRAILERS FROM WHERE THEY USED TO ENJOY THERE SUMMERS WITH THERE CHILDREN ON THE SALMON AIR LINE SO THE BIG SHOTS CAN TAKE ITAND MAKE A BUNDLE OF MONEY FOR GET ABOUT THE POOR PERSON THEY DONT MEAN ANY THING IN THIS WORLD

• grew up in salmonier
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

I can't beleive some of the comments people are making here. You should at least have the common sense to read the entire article before you post an self embarassing comment. The article stated the Williams blind trust no longer is involved in the resort and hasn't been for two years. To the poor campers who have to move out, to bad. It is about time those places got cleaned up. They were an aweful site. Go purchase a piece of land like the rest of us and put your camper / summer home on it and then maybe you would take care of it. And don't tell me it is your cultural right to be able to do this. Most of you come from other towns, pay no fees, dump you garbage and sewer in the woods, build on to your trailers with re-used chip board and don't even paint it. They are an eyesore to look at. I grew up in Salmonier, and still enjoy going back there to see family & friends and fish the Salmonier river like I did when I was a kid. Best of luck to the developers, I hope you have great success.

• Joan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Margaret
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

Isn't Danny Williams one of
    the four who own the Wilds ?
    Yep, the rich get richer !!!

• Patrick
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• W
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

I thought someone tried this at Humber Valley.

• Chris
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

Oh,

To Mr. Bishop:

You spent two days tracking through the woods searching for a rare lichen.

What are your credidentials? Are you a Botanist? Where did you take biology?

• arnold

• Avalongirl
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Help us Bones
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Bruce
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

Tying this to that extinct mobile home slum further up the road is ridiculous.

• steve
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Brett
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

Their vision is a bustling year-round resort ....
    Crunch the numbers and ask how many locals are going to spend $450,000????
    Not sure if this is happenstance, just saying...
    That government break was intended to help existing operations...
    $450 K???????
    Bummer of an idea...

• Bert
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Stop The Racket
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Mike
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

• Chris
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

Where is the sewage from these resorts going to go ( the river? ) ?

Elites run the show. Money talks.

• Abbott
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

Money talks and bulls@#$ walks....

• David W