Province announces home heating rebate program for 2009-10

Staff ~ The Telegram

The provincial government announced this year's home heating rebate program today with some changes from last year.
According to a news release, regardless of the type of energy source purchased to heat the home, individuals and families with a net income of $40,000 or less will be eligible to receive a rebate of up to $250 and up to $500 for those living in coastal Labrador communities.
Individuals and families with net income up to $35,000 will receive a full rebate. The rebate gradually decreases as income levels rise to $40,000, with no eligible individual or family receiving less than $100.
"Our government recognizes the importance of the Home Heating Rebate Program as it provides financial support to address the high cost of heating homes regardless of the heating source," said Finance Minister Tom Marshall. "The majority of residents heat their homes with electricity and therefore our rebate rates must reflect what is being used in homes in Newfoundland and Labrador."
The Home Heating Rebate Program has grown substantially. In 2003, approximately 14,000 families qualified for a maximum rebate of $100. The rebate was available only to families using heating oil. Over the past number of years, the provincial government has increased the amount of the rebate, made it available to families who heat with electricity, and enabled more families to be eligible for the rebate by increasing the income threshold.
In 2008-09, approximately 73,000 rebates were received by residents availing of the program totaling about $16.5 million. For 2009-10, the estimated value of the program is $18.2 million.
Application forms for the Home Heating Rebate Program can be found at: The Department of Finance website at www.gov.nl.ca/fin/homeheating; The Department of Finance, all Human Resources, Labour and Employment offices and Government Service Centres throughout the province; The Seniors' Resource Centre in St. John's; and, local newspapers.

Organizations: Department of Finance, Human Resources, Government Service Centres Resource Centre

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Grant
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Big daddy- I have a three bedroom home and i pay 148.00 every month of the year for heat and light. I suggest if you got the 250.00 it could help you put some sides on your home.

• Gen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

in response to big daddy's comment...i am a hard working single mother with a great education as well...and i can tell you, that the rebate that the govn't sends out definitly helps me..it does not just apply to people on social assistance..and by the way..there is nothing wrong with people on that who need help does not mean they don't have an education either.

• Disgruntled
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I guess Newfoundland isnt on par with our Labrador Friends. We were cut back $50.00 whereas they kept the $500 rebate. Certainly the cost of heating isnt
    50% extra cost in the Labrador. Why were we clawed back? I dont understand! Are we second class citizens?
    I wish the government would get their act together and treat everyone equal in this province. It very apparant they dont know fairness. We need a stronger opposition. It will come eventually like the Smallwood Era. Great and thanks for the BS.

• well
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

you know big daddy, i got a good education had a job at 60+ a year , not on welfare , but i did got very sick im now on what our goverment calls disability. The pity is the ones on welfare got it better then me and you as for what 250 would do for me get more heart drugs which the goverment dont cover

• ron
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

hey big daddy... ever think of living within your means. 5,000 amonth for heat and light... you, i bet do it all for show,

• Little Momma
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Listen big daddy, If you are racking up that much usage, you don't deserve a rebate. You are what's known as an Earth Raper. Try to cut back a little.

• Stop The Racket
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

No need for any of this in Dannys HAVE PROVINCE. No need for food banks in Dannys HAVE PROVINCE. Let Danny and BIG Tom Marshall live on $9/hr for 2 months. I know I sure as heck wouldnt be able to do that. As a so called HAVE Province we HAVe our own Oil refined HERE in Come By Change so why are we paying so much for the finished product? Why are the provincial taxes so high on home heating oil and gasoline?

• big daddy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

I make significantly more than 40 thousand a year, but I spend 2400 a year to heat my home with oil , and another 2400 for my light bill. where's my rebate......hmm....i guess it's my own fault that i got an education and a decent job....shoulda went on welfare.... besides what's $250 gonna do for anyone??/

• dogloc