Comments

Comments

• Bernard
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

There is nothing fake about O'Reilly's pub. I've been across Canada, and there are very few 'Irish Pubs' you can go into to hear traditional irish/scotish music, performed live or otherwise. Places like Ceilie's in Calgary, Darcy McGee's in Victoria and the Pogue Fado in Halifax are shams/fake.. You'd be hard pressed to hear any traditional music there, even on St. Paddy's Day... I know... I've been to them .. O'Reilly's on the other hand should not be lumped in with the likes of them... they're in a class far above them.

Slán agus beannacht leat

• Silvana
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Stop bashing Brenda! She's an amazing entrepreneur and does a fantastic job representing Canadian restaurants, which account for a million jobs around the country!

• Taxpayer ll
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Just want Canada needs, more fake irish bars. I think this story goes to show how involved this person is with their business, that they can't even run a debit card through. I've always thought that O'rielliy's was dirty and poorly run...just my opinion.

• Andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Taxpayer, The constant negative garbage being posted by you on every article is getting old. If you're that against NL and anything positive about NL, then do us a favor and get out of here...just my opinion.

Oh and Merry Christmas...or is it Humbug to that too.

• Well Done
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

It's funny how some Newfoundlanders (like Taxpayer II) are willing to do anything for someone who are down on their luck. But when a fellow Newfoundlander is successful they are bitter to no end. Why is that??

I think it is a great idea to franchise an establishment that is so well known. How many people come back to St.John's for a visit and head straight to O'Reilly's? Having one in the town you call home would be a way to have a piece of Newfoundland near to you.

I wish them all the luck.

• M.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I am a former employee and let me tell you that it didn't help my Christmas seeing that fake smile of hers plastered
    in your paper today. It's only fitting that she owns a place called Yellowbelly.
    THAT's all I'm going to say about her because behind that infectious smile lies the cold heart of a queen B**ch..

• Barry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

I had returned to Nfld last year after an absense of 25 years, Yellowbelly was advertising for experienced staff..I have over 20 years exp in hotels, Bars, and Restaurants. When I went to Yellowbelly, I was directed to go speak with Ms Oreilly at OReillys. When I walked in, she treated me like crap. Didn't seem interested in my application..took my resume and threw it on the counter without even looking at it. I watched it land in a puddle of water (beer?) on the bar. Bet it wasn't even looked at after I left.

Ms OReilly was in the paper here a few months ago lamenting the lack of experienced staff to work in her restaurant/bar down there...well, Ms OReilly....there were many who DID apply...you just couldn't be bothered to take an actiove role in seeking them out. I never jeard back from her... and , after 6 months of being back home.,,,I had no choice but to return to the mainland where my experience is worth something.

• speaker
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

AGree withcomment that the bar is dirty & poorly run! THis article as well as this woman & her self proclaimed passion for her business is a farce!! O'reilly's bar is overpriced & the menu is a joke! If the food portions & quality matched the prices, it would be ok however it's shameful what is served there! The described situation is what employees face on a daily basis yet she is praised for dealing with a customer?! Unreal..

• Bud
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Sweet article, nice publicity ... Now, follow up with a second article after speaking to past employees of hers. No point in asking those who currently work for her, they are not that foolish to risk their jobs with the real truth.

Just thought this article needed a proper balance.

• Bernard
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

Slán agus beannacht leat

• Silvana
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• Taxpayer ll
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• Andrew
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

Oh and Merry Christmas...or is it Humbug to that too.

• Well Done
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

I wish them all the luck.

• M.
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

• Barry
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

• speaker
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

• Bud
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

Just thought this article needed a proper balance.