CUPE gives thumbs up to St. John's recycling plan

Staff ~ The Telegram

The union representing City of St. John's workers are pleased with the plans for the new recycling plan and applaud council for using city workers and not contractors to staff it.
Canadian Union of Public Employees-NL president Wayne Lucas says he hopes the program and the way it's run will be an example to other municipalities.
"CUPE has been calling on municipalities to move forward with their own publicly-owned and operated solid waste management plans. The province has set a target of 50 per cent diversion of waste from landfills and we are certainly looking forward to helping municipalities achieve that goal over the coming years," says Lucas.
The city's recycling program is expected to begin in May and details about the launch of the program will be released in the coming weeks.

Organizations: Union of Public Employees-NL

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I appreciate some peoples views on how the unions are great for the workers, getting unrealistic wages for workers, protecting workers from discipline for not doing their job, etc. Recent history has shown unions doing more harm for their members than good. The North American auto industry and the Paper industry on a more local scale. The days of the union are over, time to move to a more sensible solution for employees and employers. This project does not need a union stamp of approval and I think it is a slap in the face to the taxpayers having to read that CUPE has approved a taxpayer funded project.

• Karl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I don't care if Lucifer's minions are contracted to pick up recycling in this city, it's about time!

• Andrew
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

using city workers and not contractors to staff it translation, 'It will never be cost effective to have 4 people making $30 an hour do the same work 1 will do for $15' I applaud the recycling plan, but I know that CUPE will lead to its downfall of being another bottomless pit for the city to through money into and never be able to recover.

• Brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Andrew only deserves $10.00 per hour due to ignorance. Each new truck will have one worker not four as per this lame brain.

• Paul
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Should be contracted. Give anyone out there the opportunity to bid and work for taxpayers money rather than a select bunch who co-opt the whole thing. We all pay taxes. Why should one bunch have all the pay, especially for something completely non-technical and needs no particular specialized equipment or training. Everyone shold have the right to bid on these things. Might even work if there is competition and keep costs down.

Now I also worry about some of the people you see with their shopping carts picking up and delivering recyclables to sites. I've chased one guy down just to give my stuff rather than waste my time in a huge lineup. I'm sure he enjoyed the few dollars more than would. What happens to these very useful people, some of whom won't ever get a job with the city, or even be considered due to their personal realities? Union controls this and I doubt if the people will get efficient service.

• Andrew