Blizzard warning continued for much of the island

Staff ~ The Telegram

A snowplow travels through a white-out in the Ruby Line area this morning as a blizzard plays out on the eastern part of Newfoundland. Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

Snow will continue for most of Newfoundland today and tonight, with the wind stepping it up to blizzard conditions.
According to Environment Canada, snow will be heavy at times today and blowing snow is presently occurring over the Avalon Peninsula. The storm will move westward today and tonight.
Total snowfall amounts are predicted between 35 and 45 centimetres for the Northern Avalon Peninsula and east coast. Between 15 to 25 centimetres can be expected for the Southern Avalon and Burin peninsulas with lesser amounts expected over the remainder of the island.
As well strong northerly winds gusting up to 90 km/h are forecast for eastern Newfoundland and combined with the fresh snow will give blowing snow and blizzard conditions.
Most schools and training centres have been closed for the day, with many businesses, government buildings and offices closed as well. Many flights have been cancelled and bus routes and ferry schedules have been affected.

Organizations: Environment Canada

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Avalon, Northern Avalon Peninsula

Comments

Comments

• Nathan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Same here G, Fred is a clown.

• G
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Only a boss who doesn't care about his employees would be in today -we are.

• snowbunny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

I agree with 'G'...we are at work at well.

• G
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Ferd, you are a TOOL. Did I say that I an essential employee?? If I were I wouldn't have made that post. Where I work there isn't any need to be open.

• lol
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Hey G...how about a day off with no pay? Didn't think so...in the economy in St. John's I would think you could have stayed home and gotten a new job after you got fired.

Bunch of pansies...we haven't had a snow day in 3-4 years out here...and before you say, yes I am jealous of your snow days!

• Townie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Fred: How did you make a connection from a boss who does not care about his employees , to shutting down essential services?? Local entrepreneurs in contrast to essential public services is like chaulk and cheese.
    The only plausible logic that you have illustrated is that you are implying that the people in charge of police, fire departments, ambulances and hospitals don't care about their employees/workers (since you related it to the comments above). Let me reassure you Fred, this is not the case.
    Crime, fire, sickness and emergencies are a different ball game altogether.

• Eugene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

If anyone wants to lay blame for irresponsibility, it should be at the feet of Metrobus. Employees are not obliged to venture out (by law) if/when Metrobus is pulled off the road. Metrobus, instead of heeding advice from meterologists, put their vehicles on the road only to announce that they will be coming off again.

• Johnny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Hi, you guys! You should quit your fussin' and a-feudin'. It's +10 out in the clear sun here in Vancouver! Come on out and enjoy our Olympics before the snow all melts away. We'd love to see you!

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Hmmm, so based on the comments from G and snowbunny, I guess that police, fire, ambulance and the hospitals should close down too during a storm.

• Nathan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

Same here G, Fred is a clown.

• G
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

Only a boss who doesn't care about his employees would be in today -we are.

• snowbunny
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

I agree with 'G'...we are at work at well.

• G
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• lol
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Townie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

Crime, fire, sickness and emergencies are a different ball game altogether.

• Eugene