Clean up begins after St. John's storm

Staff ~ The Telegram

Estimated 40 cms fell, storm surges damage homes, wharfs, businesses

Despite the still falling snow and high winds, clean up has begun in the metro area after a major winter storm hit the area.
Snow is waist deep in some places in the city, but the worst damage has been reported in the Outer Battery and in Quidi Vidi Village.
According to resident reports from the Battery a fisherman's wharf has washed away and debris can be seen floating in the Narrows. Two more twine stores are badly damaged and on the brink of washing away. As well, at least one home has been evacuated, according to resident reports and there is concern about two others that are being badly battered by wharf wreckage and high waves.
Residents in Quidi Vidi say last night waves got up to 12 feet higher than normal. Several sheds, wharfs and stores were washed away in the high waves.
After 9 p.m. the owners at Quidi Vidi Brewery went to check on possible water damage, only to find a small electrical fire had started there.
The fire was extinguished without incident and there was very little smoke damage.
In most of the rest of the city people are digging out and assessing their own damage.
Metrobus has put their buses back on the roads after taking them off around lunchtime Friday and many businesses are expected to re-open today.
Environment Canada is reporting that the city got a total of about 45 centimetres of snow as of early this morning.
More weather updates to come.

Organizations: Environment Canada

Geographic location: St. John's, Quidi Vidi Village, Narrows

Comments

Comments

• Taxdodger
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

People should be made to clear the sidewalks in front of their houses or be fined/thrown in jail.

• Ray
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

If a plow comes up your street and plow you in and you come out to shovel your driveway, and the snow is still fallin, what are they going to do with that . Leave it in the streets !!! IDIOTS.

• Jan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I agree with Colleen. I am also from Newfoundland, now living in Calgary. At least your side streets see a plow during the winter. And yes, it is the responsibility of the home owner/tenant to clear snow from the sidewalks bordering their property.

• July 02, 2010 - 13:30

In Ontario you must clear your sidewalks by law. But the city/town councils are not hypocrits and do not, I say again, do not plow snow onto the sidewalks and expect homeowners to clear 5 foot furlows of hard-packed snow and ice. If they do, they then use a sidewalk snowblower and then you have to clean up after the sidewalk blower.

Furthermore...

ST. JOHN'S average: Jan=21cm, Feb=24cm. Number of days where snow depth is greater or = to 50cm, Jan=2, Feb=5

TORONTO average: Jan=7cm, Feb=4cm. Number of days where snow depth is greater or = to 50cm, Jan=0, Feb=0

CALGARY average: Jan=7cm, Feb=5cm. Number of days where snow depth is greater or = to 50cm, Jan=0, Feb=0

• Julia
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Taxdodger are you serious? I think we pay enough taxes for city workers to be doing that too!! If it didn't take 10 of them to fix a light buld maybe they would get the work done faster and more efficiently.

I do ont he other hand shovel the sidewalk in front of my house.. and about 6 feet from the sidewalk out to the road because the snowplows come no where near the sidewalks!

• Liz
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Taxdodger,

Strange comment from someone who doesn't pay their taxes!

• jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Nasty Nate

Remove it!!
    Snow blow it!!
    Truck it away!!

Man , you really have no idea what you are talking about , do you?

If that was all they did, it would take two months to clean up after every snow fall, and hey , you can tripple your taxes

• Isabelle
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I have seen cleared sidewalks and still people walk in the road! City can clear sidewalks but really it make no sense ..all the money cannot keep them clear of snow and ice. Thaw in the day .. freeze at nite makes for harder walking and keeping it clear. It is winter it is impossible to have sidewalks as clear as July. OH! and anyway people walk and JOG in the streets and not on the sidewalk even in JULY.

• jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Nasty Nate
    What would you like to do with the snow on the streets?
    Do you honestly think DOC should come in and shovel your driveway??
    Every winter we all hear from the same tools that think that a city snow plough should lift their blade at every driveway.
    None of us like cleaning up our driveways time and time again, but thats life. Get over it. You would be complaining if the streets werent ploughed also. And, no I dont work for the city or know anyone that dose, but I have enough common sense to realize that they have no choice but to block access to your driveway, and endanger you and everyone in your household.
    Man, Get a life!

• job rite
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

well ...i had the fortunate/unfortunate situation of living on a very very very windy corner of a street which meant when the storm hit it literally blew all the snow from my driveway AND SIDEWALK!!!!...BUT when the city of st johns snow plows made one sweep ALL DAY with their blades ...they managed to pile the snow ...5 feet away from that sidewalk ...soooo..that being said ...from the outer edge of my sidewalk( roadside) to the ONE CLEARED LANE..i had to shovel ..is this not the responsiblity of the city of st johns ...so in actual fact i was helping them do THEIR JOB...hence of my shovelling efforts ...there was 2 little and i mean little piles of snow left in the road that i had missed and of course the loud mouth lady next door ( well actually 4 doors down) noticed this as she was walking by and said can i tell ya miss you can get in a lot of trouble doing that ...well i went on a small rant saying if they wanna ticket me ...then bring me to court ...cos i got pictures ..and ill demand to get paid the same rates as our lovely cities heavy equipment operators ....meantime coming up our street is like trying to drive up marble mountain ..humps & bumps ...maybe they should hold the olympics here ...omg what a farce ...WHERES THE NATIONAL GUARD FOR POOR ST JOHNS ....AHAHAHAHHAHAHA.....

• Misty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

WTG !!!!!!!!!!jerome... Nothing like telling it like it is....

• jerome
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

All of you whiners make me ashamed to be an nl'er. Get out and shovel the s..t,instead of being full of it.

• newfiegirl 59
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I feel sorry for all the snow that you guys got this last storm. But at least you guys see a plow back there. Never mind the fact that you have to keep shoveling out your driveway. Come to Alberta, they don't even plow residental streets here. It's much too expensive (lol) what a joke. Our side streets have ruts that you could lose a small car in, also we have 48 hours to get our sidewalks cleared after a snow fall.

• Saucy Face
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Ah, here we go again; let's blame the city for all your woes instead of being decent civic minded people such Taxdodger after a major storm. You lazy whiners make me sick.

• Calling Saucy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Since some people (Saucy Face) find it to be such a non-issue to do the same task three and four times, maybe they would be willing to offer a contact number. I am sure people would be more then happy to call you each-time the plow comes and fills in the area you just cleared.

• Saucy Face
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

To Calling Saucy Face from St. Johns.

If you are a deserving senior or shut in, I have no problem shovelling your snow, but not your whiney crap.

• Colleen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

I am from Newfoundland,but now lives in Calgary, I would love it if there in Calgary they did clean the side street. So all the people that a complaining about the plow putting snow back in your driveway get real because there you would have to make your way through the snow in the raod and in you driveway

• Mary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

I had a neighbor who came here from Ontario and he said if people don't clear the sidewalk in front of their houses up there, they will be fined. He thought it strange that people didn't do it here. Especially after the snow settles a bit... Come on now, we could do better than we're doing a lot of it is just being lazy.

• C
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

OMG - clear the sidewalks????? How about calling in the army to help shovel out this mess? What with all that snow - not to even mention the high winds, every other city in Canada would probably be shut down for a week. Good luck with the mess you folks now have to contend with

• barry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

its like this, if it bugs ya that much . just get out and do it ! if it don't, the city will be by in the spring, lol

• T
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

thats a great idea in theory TaxDodger - but where do you propose that people put this snow? I live in a subdivision and my lawn is piled up with snow high enough now that I can hardly throw the snow on top - and thats with the banks extending well out over our sidewalk in front.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Ya, will get right on that as soon as the city stops pushing the snow from the streets right back onto the sidewalks and blocking my access to my property.

If a fire truck or ambulance needed access to my driveway after I cleared it and the city pushed the snow back in to block access, that endangers me and everyone in my household.

• jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

good old newfoundland/labrador weather. i remember growing up in the 50's 60's in my home town, the former town of windsor in central newfoundland. in them days lots of snow, couldn't even see the 8 foot fence , i remember by late father putting me out the window to shovel the doors open. goodluck work crews with the snow clearing

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Hey Jim, I guess you have never lived in a city or town that has no need to block peoples access. Lake Louise, and Banff Alberta neither block the access to personal property. Why do they find the need to do so here? For some reason they REMOVE snow not push it onto personal property as done here.

They do have large snow-blowers here with dump trucks. It is sbout time they start to use them properly, and not weeks after the fact.

• Taxdodger
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Ray
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Jan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• July 01, 2010 - 20:18

Furthermore...

• Julia
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• Liz
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

Taxdodger,

Strange comment from someone who doesn't pay their taxes!

• jim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

Nasty Nate

Remove it!!
    Snow blow it!!
    Truck it away!!

Man , you really have no idea what you are talking about , do you?

• Isabelle
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• jim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

Nasty Nate
    What would you like to do with the snow on the streets?
    Do you honestly think DOC should come in and shovel your driveway??
    Man, Get a life!

• job rite
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Misty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

WTG !!!!!!!!!!jerome... Nothing like telling it like it is....

• jerome
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• newfiegirl 59
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Saucy Face
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

• Calling Saucy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Saucy Face
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

To Calling Saucy Face from St. Johns.

• Colleen