Pay reward, blogger challenges

Terry Roberts

Sea Shepherd founder says photo not enough proof that seals indiscriminately eat cod bellies

The long-running debate over whether harp seals indiscriminately rip the bellies out of codfish has resurfaced.

The latest chapter has a Newfoundland blogger and advocate for rural Newfoundland taking on Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

A seal chews on a large cod near the shore of Lewisporte harbour last year. - Photo by Don Noble

Darren Fancey of St. John's, creator of seashepherd.blogspot, a pro-sealing website, is challenging Watson to make good on a pledge to pay $25,000 to anyone who could document such a phenomenon.

Fancey says a photograph published in The Telegram last spring provides indisputable evidence.

"I challenge him to pay the $25,000," Fancey said.

Watson says the reward is still on the table, but says he needs more than one photo.

"A photograph doesn't mean anything. I need video evidence of it," Watson said Monday.

He was reached aboard the Sea Shepherd vessel Steve Irwin, which is engaged in a high profile protest against a Japanese whale hunt in waters near Antarctica.

The photo in question was taken by Don Noble of Lewisporte.

It shows a seal biting into what appears to be a disemboweled codfish. Noble stated at the time the seal had cleaned out the belly and then started nibbling away at the rest of the fish.

Fancey has repeatedly e-mailed Watson's Washington-based group, challenging it to pay the money so he can turn it over to charity. Fancey wrote under a fictitious name, Dean Maonder

"To me, it's the proof he was asking for," Fancey said.

Fancey said his e-mails have been ignored. He noted that a reference to the $25,000 payment that was on the Sea Shepherd website was also removed last week.

"I want only two things; that Watson pays the $25,000 - I don't want a dime - and that once and for all the myth of seals not eating cod is destroyed," Fancey said.

Fancey, who chose his blog name as a dig at Watson's group, said Watson has raised the bar on his burden of proof, saying he previously wanted video or film evidence of seals eating codfish.

Fancey said he was inspired to go public after watching Sara Green, Miss Newfoundland and Labrador, stand up for the fading commercial seal hunt.

Green began speaking in support of the hunt after a ghastly doctored photo of her was posted online. A photo taken of Green at November's Santa Claus parade in St. John's was altered to show her covered in blood and wielding a club over blood-spattered seal carcasses.

The picture appeared on an anti-sealing Facebook group page.

Fancey said his blog started getting attention from online users in Friday Harbour, Washington - home of the Sea Shepherd's international headquarters - after he weighed into an online debate about the virtual attack on Green and the seal hunt.

He said references to the $25,000 reward were removed the Sea Shepherd website the next day. Fancey provided "screen grabs" from the site, showing the site on Feb. 4, and the changes made on Feb. 5.

Watson, who has been at sea for about two months, said he had no knowledge of any changes to the website.

Meanwhile, Watson offered the reward back in the 1990s after then fisheries minister John Efford stated publicly that seals were ripping the bellies out of codfish and leaving the carcasses.

It came at a time when there was intense debate about the future of the seal hunt, and suggestions that seals were slowing the recovery of cod stocks.

At one point, Efford called for a massive cull of seals.

"I said if you can show me evidence that this is taking place, then yes, we would pay that reward. Nobody has shown us any video evidence," Watson said.

Watson acknowledges that seals eat cod, but he's not convinced that they just eat the bellies and discard the rest of the fish.

"No marine biologist that I know of has ever heard of such a thing," he said.

"That's what John Efford was claiming at the time."

The Sea Shepherd group, which was founded by Watson, is a staunch opponent of the annual east coast seal hunt, calling it inhumane and unsustainable.

troberts@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Geographic location: Newfoundland, St. John's, Antarctica Washington

Comments

Comments

• Keith
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Watson, who has been at sea for about two months...

More like, out to lunch for the last few decades . I for one completely concur with the statement he had no knowledge

• Steve1981
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

To Nicholas,

the sky is blue because the light from the sun hits our atmosphere and is refracted from white light to blue,

You see, whenever you hold a transparent prism to light, the prism will break the white light into all colours in the visible light spectrum. The earth's atmosphere can be considered a prism for as you are no doubt aware, during sunrise or sunset, the sky can appear oragne, red, or even a light purple. This is because the angle the suns rays hitting the earths atmosphere have changed.

During daylight hours, the angle of which the sun is hitting the earths atmosphere makes the sky appear blue.
    I hope this answers your question.

And yes, you do look fat in those pants.

If you were to star on the biggest loser, they would be required to rename the show,

You have got to be kidding me.

• Joey Oldford
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Wow I'm taking my VIDEO camera every time I go to the beach from now on.

• briny69
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

paul watson is apiece of crap who is too afraid of getting a real job.i wish a seal would get a hold of his gut

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Steve1981 from St. Johns, NL writes: Bridget Curran,

You claim the cod fish is a minor proponent of the harp seal diet...then please, enlighten me, what is the majority?
    ================================

Tofu?

• Cow
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Why doesn't Watson and the Sea Shepherd take up the good fight against the inhumane slaughter of cows and chickens????? They have rights too!!!!!

• Wince
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

You could take HD video of a harp seal dining on cod stomachs with fine cutlery and Watson still won't call it proof.

He'll never pay.

• Stephen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

The seal in the picture appears to be a harbor seal, not a harp.

I, for one, would like to see the evidence that Efford relied upon to say that harp seals were ripping the bellies out of codfish and leaving the carcasses.

We should remember too that it's human beings who rip the skins off seals and leave the carcasses.

• Telling it like it is (c)
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

But to Supporter from NL,

Feed the poor seal meat? Are you crazy?

remember, if you eat seal meat, your lungs will become filled with NTV fluid on account of the TCB compounds found in the ABBA horomones of the harp seal as they are located in the YMCA gland, just located near the NHL ventricles which is connected to the TSN artery.

Wow...I can BS just as good as sea shepherd, I almost believed that one!

I kidd, I kidd, good idea supporter!

• Ted
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I have seen seals eating the stomach section & drop the balance of the fish, numerous times.

• Bridget
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

There's no story here. The photo is not proof seals eat only the bellies of codfish. The man who took the photo himself said the seal ate the belly then began to eat the rest of the fish.

Nobody is denying seals eat cod. However, cod is a very small part of their diet. The bulk of their diet isn't even commercially fished.

The Telegram must be hard-up for news.

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Bravo Steve1981, I applaud your efforts. However, posting chemical formula without explanation does not get the point across that you are trying to make. People will view that as an educated individual using their knowledge of chemistry to try and make the other party in the debate look stupid. Again, I agree with the point you are trying to get across here, that a lot of these seal lovers base their opinions and decisions on the drivel that they are force fed by hollywood stars and rich duechbags. But I think you're point would have been better served without throwing in that sentence or two about the chemical structure of PCBs. Just one fools opinion.

• Huck
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Of course this picture means nothing to Paul Watson. If you look closely at the picture, you can see that it is actually a carrot the seal is eating, not a codfish. Duh!

• Nathan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Answers for Nicholas from NL

1.) http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/ sky_blue.html

2.) You will have to provide a picture for me to be sure, but my spidey sense is telling me yes.

• Right_Decision
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I have to say...first off...I'm a supporter of the seal hunt.

However, this silly argument about seals eating cod bellies is just nonsense. Seals DO eat cods. They probably just eat the cod bellies too. But This argument that we should hunt seals because they are dwindling our cod stocks is dumb. WE killed the cod fishery. Seals were hunting cod (and just eating their bellies) LONG before we came here.

I support the seal hunt because seals are (if hunted correctly) a sustainable source of food, vitamins and clothing.

• brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I said it before and I'll say it again. Canada, being a humanitarian country spends billions in foriegn aid to impoverished countries. In addition to tons of grain sacks with the canadian stamp on it how bout canned seal meat? Let Peta and such argue with that one.

• Supporter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Let's take the international aid one step further - why not set up a means to process the seal meat, can it or dry it and send it to the third world countries to feed their starving people? As we all know, seal meat is rich in nutrients, does not contain any artery clogging materials with the added benefit of Omega fatty acids to control cholesterol, etc. There is plenty of food in this world to feed us all and we should not waste any of the bounty that is ours for the taking. Let's start thinking globally and not locally.

• NT
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

That photo does not show anything other than seals eat fish! Let's kill seals for eating fish (like God intended)! While we are at it, let's kill polar bears for eating seals! Let's kill frogs for eating insects! Let's kill snakes for eating frogs! and cows for eating too much grass!!! Let's KILL, KILL, KILL.....

• Steve1981
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

To Calvin and anyone else who wants to know what a PCB is,

PCB congeners are odorless, tasteless, clear to pale-yellow, viscous liquids (the more highly chlorinated mixtures are more viscous and deeper yellow). They are formed by electrophilic chlorination of biphenyl with chlorine gas. Theoretically 209 different PCB congeners are possible, although only about 130 are found in commercial PCB mixtures.

They have high dielectric constants, very high thermal conductivity, high flash points (from 170 to 380 °C) and are chemically fairly inert, being extremely resistant to oxidation, reduction, addition, elimination, and electrophilic substitution.

PCBs readily penetrate skin, PVC (polyvinyl chloride), and latex (natural rubber). PCB-resistant materials include Viton, polyethylene, polyvinyl acetate (PVA), polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), butyl rubber, nitrile rubber, and Neoprene.

PCBs are very stable compounds and do not degrade readily. Their destruction by chemical, thermal, and biochemical processes is extremely difficult, and presents the risk of generating extremely toxic dibenzodioxins and dibenzofurans through partial oxidation

• Dennis
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

PETA and Paul Watson don't deserve to have there propaganda debated here. It's not about them. At all. It's more about a small, insignificent hunt, that's worth only 10's of millions annualy. Why keep this fight up? Alot of effort and money is used to combat antisealers that could be used for something,ENYTHING more usefull. I'm glad the G8 finance ministers never spent time debating the hunt last week. There are real problems in the world other then a hunt that eventualy stop. Now honestly,,, how many people eat flippers? Let's filter that question more, how many people under 50 that live in a community if more then 10k?? .....well the big majority of us don't . We don't identify are selevs with the seal hunt. It don't represent us.(and by god I ain't know PETA lover by any freakn means either!)
    And to say we should have the hunt to save the cod is about the stupidest thing a newfoundlander has said! Why don't we just empty the ocean of any predator that might harm a cod or any species that might hurt any part of are commercial fishery! Talk about dumb!

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Will we never learn? We have studied at the feet of the Masters of PR and we still don't get it.

Nfld. would be MUCH better off if Watson doesn't pay, and we use this as the opening salvo in a large PR campaign against the lies and manipulation of these terrorists.

• Calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Steve1981, I think you missed my point earlier. See, I knew you had gotten your diatribe from Wikipedia, a very unreliable source to say the least, and I just wanted to see if you had any knowledge of your own or if you would just continue to copy and paste bull from a useless website. Thanks for proving me right, genius.

• NL_Expatriate
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Video of a sea lion tearing the bellies out of salmon. The US has hypocritically OK'ed euthanize/Killing of these seal lions/seals.

• Nicholas
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Steve1981. You are a book smart DORK!
    I do know why the sky is blue and I look slimming in my pants! But thanks.

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Hey Calvin, don't shoot the messenger ! The self proclaimed Sea Sheppard society, PETA, Greenpeace and the majority of so called animal rights welfare groups are the biggest disinformation artists of all time. Is it that the facts are too hard to understand?? or are you a member of one of the said groups? The facts of the matter are this. Watson and all of his ilk, spread lies and distort the truth in order to obtain the mighty dollar. A pity they don't put similar effort into actually telling the truth and getting real wrongs put right. Personally I do not like seal meat, but who am I to pipe up a load of lies in order to make my point. If seals don't eat fish, please elucidate as to what exactly they do eat. I don't recall seeing a McDonalds on the ice floes, or a Kentucky Chicken for that matter. There's a lot more crap going on in the world that has major significance to all of us beyond the seal hunt. Funny how those puppy dog eyes melt the hearts of the powder puff brigade, in my experience, seals are nasty aggressive worm riddled fur coats.

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

I've give up trying to get you guys to make this site actually readable, instead of just copying articles onto the web without using any form of editing.

... but the least you could do is get the website correct. seashepherd.blogspot is not a website, try typing it into the url box in your browser.

The proper address is: http://seashepherd.blogspot.com

• Steve1981
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Well Well Well....bridget curran.

My arch nemesis....

Okay Briget, can you explain the following text from the sea shepherd website,

''Seal meat is generally considered to be inedible and unfit for human consumption''.

Why is this so?? What a bland statement. Okay, guess what, Santa Claus exists....it must be true!

Oh, I also like the fact how harp seals are apparently the only animal in the known world to contain....what is it they call it??? oh yeah, ''bioaccumulative PCBs''. They don't even inform the reader what a PCB is....oh FYI, it's Polychlorinated biphenyls.

FYI, The chemical formula for PCBs is C12H10-xClx, where x = 1-10. PCBs were widely used for many applications, especially as dielectric fluids in transformers and capacitors and coolants. Due to PCB's toxicity and classification as persistent organic pollutants, PCB production was banned by the United States Congress in 1979 and by the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants in 2001.

In other words, the sea shepherd wants the reader to believe that the harp seal is like the aliens in the movie ''Alien'' whose blood is concentrated acid.

They also want you believe that if you eat harp seal meat you are automatically a member of Al Qaeda.

Come on Bridget, impress me with your knowledge.

Tell me where you got your PhD in the study harp seal biology???

We the people deserve to know where experts like you are getting their facts.

If I want to learn about the universe, I pick up Stephen Hawkings best seller, ''A brief history of time''.

Where do I pick up your best selller?????

If such a book existed, I'd be sure to check the Fiction aisle.

Have a nice day sweetheart :)

• Nicholas
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Steve 1981, although I do agree 100% with the point you are trying to get across. I have a couple of questions:

1) Why is the sky Blue?

2) Do I look fat in these pants?

I am sure you can answer these simple questions. No formulas please!

• Steve1981
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Bridget Curran,

Steve1981
    PhD in de-BSing seal protestors

• D-Man
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

In the animal kingdom, dominate animals only eating the best parts of prey is hardly a new phenomenon, lions only eat the organs and rich, soft meaty parts of their prey, leaving the rest for scavengers, bears do the same in the spring when the Salmon go to spawn, they eat the belly only, the rest is left for the birds...I don't know why it is such shocking news that seals do the same with cod. Get over it, all animals in general (including humans) are wasteful when times are good and food is plentiful.
    I have no proof only a story but the people involved really had no reason to be lying, while have a few beer on a Saturday night I did have a conversation with two of my Friends, one a Marine Biologist working at the Marine Institute and the other a Marine Biologist working for the Government of Canada. The government worker was telling us about how he had witnessed and videotaped seals eating the belly's of cod while doing a dive researching some other fish at the time (underwater evidence). I have no idea where the tape is, probably in some archive in some government building somewhere. He said, they would bite the belly out and the rest would fall to the bottom, the fish were plentiful at the time and maybe this is why. Hardly compelling evidence I knowbut if the rest of the animal kingdom is any indication, then there is no doubt that seals will only eat the bellys of their prey, in this case cod

• DJ
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

D-Man you have to get hold of that clip man - it's worth $25000. If I were more of an instigator I'd suggest someone go done to Taylors, grab a cod then go over to the seal tank in the East End and toss the cod in. Take a video camera and film the snack.

I liked the carrot comment Huck, it reminds me of the famous quote from Brian Peckford to Paul Watson, or Brain Davies or one of those types it's no good to try and tell me Seals eat Turnip The same argument has been going on for decades. :)

The picture shows a larger cod with all of the belly eaten and all the flesh left. The seal even has a little nip of the belly right there in his teeth. Don Noble has taken a great photo here, what more proof could be needed.

I would ask Paul Watson: why after reading the blog on Feb 4 did you remove this wording from your website on Feb 5 The Sea Shepherd conservation society has had a standing offer to pay $25000 to any person who can document a harp seal ripping the stomach out of a seal and leaving the body behind

Just the last few paragraphs referencing this offer removed, and a communications company from Florida looking for Sea Shepherd $25000 . If this is not putting your tail between your legs what it.

Pay up Mr. Watson - it's all slated for local charity.

• Keith
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

Watson, who has been at sea for about two months...

• Steve1981
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

To Nicholas,

I hope this answers your question.

And yes, you do look fat in those pants.

You have got to be kidding me.

• Joey Oldford
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

Wow I'm taking my VIDEO camera every time I go to the beach from now on.

• briny69
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

Steve1981 from St. Johns, NL writes: Bridget Curran,

================================

Tofu?

• Cow
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Wince
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

He'll never pay.

• Stephen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

The seal in the picture appears to be a harbor seal, not a harp.

• Telling it like it is (c)
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

But to Supporter from NL,

Feed the poor seal meat? Are you crazy?

Wow...I can BS just as good as sea shepherd, I almost believed that one!

I kidd, I kidd, good idea supporter!

• Ted
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Bridget
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

The Telegram must be hard-up for news.

• Calvin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

• Huck
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• Nathan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

Answers for Nicholas from NL

1.) http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/ sky_blue.html

• Right_Decision
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

I have to say...first off...I'm a supporter of the seal hunt.

• brian

• Calvin
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• NL_Expatriate
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

• Nicholas
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

Steve1981. You are a book smart DORK!
    I do know why the sky is blue and I look slimming in my pants! But thanks.

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Steve
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

The proper address is: http://seashepherd.blogspot.com

• Steve1981
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

Well Well Well....bridget curran.

My arch nemesis....

Okay Briget, can you explain the following text from the sea shepherd website,

Come on Bridget, impress me with your knowledge.

Tell me where you got your PhD in the study harp seal biology???

We the people deserve to know where experts like you are getting their facts.

Where do I pick up your best selller?????

If such a book existed, I'd be sure to check the Fiction aisle.

Have a nice day sweetheart :)

• Nicholas
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

1) Why is the sky Blue?

2) Do I look fat in these pants?

I am sure you can answer these simple questions. No formulas please!

• Steve1981
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

Bridget Curran,

Steve1981
    PhD in de-BSing seal protestors

• D-Man
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

• DJ
    July 01, 2010 - 19:43

Pay up Mr. Watson - it's all slated for local charity.