Power outage at Confederation Building

Staff ~ The Telegram

A power outage has shut down both the East and West Blocks of Confederation Building.

According to Newfoundland Power, crews were sent to the building but found the problem was internal.

Government workers based in the building have been sent home, though those able to work from home are doing so.

Calls to the Department of Transportation and Works, were not immediately returned.

More as information becomes available.

Organizations: Confederation Building, Newfoundland Power, Department of Transportation and Works

Geographic location: West Blocks

Comments

Comments

• Marie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I wonder how long that will take to find the problem and then fix it. I wonder if I will be back at work on Monday.

• Jonah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Not shocked. The whole of the province is victim to crumbling infrastructure. Even the Confederation Building.

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Man, Danny leaves and they have to shut down the house of assembly, can't get the power working at Confederation bldg and St. Bon's Ice Rink has a huge hole in the boards, Danny is holding this province together. We're screwed if he retires............I mean who would replace him Kathy Dunderdale, or Jerome Kennedy, even the LIberals would be crying for Danny to return then.

• Not
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Hey Doug, applied for a job with the government but didn't get it?

• Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

For the record, there is no such thing as a government worker. Government employee maybe, but you'd have to look far and wide to find someone in the provincial government who actually does any work.

• member of the 5%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Will anyone notice the government workers have all gone home ?

• I. P. Freely
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

• Bill
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

It starts with the power and before you know it

• Sunflower
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Government workers...I know...what a bunch, wha'? I've been a government worker for 19 years. Employee, worker, team mate, co worker, what have you...I cannot speak for ALL GOVERNMENT WORKS..but I am getting rather tired of the notion of government worker=does nothing at all.

I work...hard and diligently...I am proud to be a government worker . I know when I serve, communicate, etc. the john/jane doe leaves a smile left by me or that they know I am going to assist in anyway I can.

Please do not generalize all government workers are the same.

Good grief...

• wavy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

...anyways, it's not like the lights were on at the Confederation Building to begin with (yuk , yuk)...they've been working in the dark for so long you'd think they'd be used to it by now (yuk, yuk)...I got a million of 'em....

• Burnin' Down the House
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I. P. Freely from NL writes: 'They seem to have this same problem every couple of months. maybe they should get someone in there who knows what they are doing.'

What ? Break the status quo ?

• Joey Oldford
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

The Telegram is way out of line posting this story. What goes on in the Confederation Building is none of the public's business. Get back to finding out what Danny Williams had for breakfast.

• don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Danny is away so somebody pulled the plug and all of the bureaucrats at Confooleration Building get a long weekend. Who says the bureaucrats don't know what they're doing! If you want to talk to a bureaucrat today, drop down to a pub on George Street! That's where most of our political and government business is conducted anyway. Nothing new!

• Mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

No surprise that calls weren't returned. Even if they weren't all gone home... the place is using VOIP isn't it? Power goes... so do phones.

• Marie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Jonah
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• W
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Not
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

Hey Doug, applied for a job with the government but didn't get it?

• Doug
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• member of the 5%
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

Will anyone notice the government workers have all gone home ?

• I. P. Freely
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Bill
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

It starts with the power and before you know it

• Sunflower
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

Please do not generalize all government workers are the same.

Good grief...

• wavy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• Burnin' Down the House
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

What ? Break the status quo ?

• Joey Oldford