Gonzaga holds 28th annual Ocean Ranger Memorial

Staff ~ The Telegram

Today is the 28th anniversary of the Ocean Ranger disaster, which claimed 84 lives of the coast of this province in 1982. Gonzaga High School has held an annual memorial service on the anniversary of the loss of the oil rig and all those onboard, since the tragedy happened.

But this is the first memorial service since a Cougar Helicopter crashed last March, killing 17 people, most on their way to work offshore.

That accident was mentioned several times during the service, and amidst the prayers, songs and tributes, Rev. John Dinn of the St. John Evangelist Church asked people to pray for the victims and families of both tragedies as well as the Wells Inquiry looking into the chopper crash.

Dinn also said the quest for justice for the families of the Ocean Ranger is still ongoing.

He said the second disaster shows oil companies are still more interested in profit then people and their safety.

Full story in Tuesdays Telegram.

Organizations: Gonzaga High School, St. John Evangelist Church, Wells Inquiry

Comments

Comments

• Robin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

It was a moving and beatiful tribute to those who lost their lives in the Ocean Ranger Tradgedy.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

The staff and students are to be commended on the spectacular service that they provide for the families each year,this year is no exception.Once again flawlessly executed and delivered.I have attended almost all of these with my family over the years,this year however I was unable to attend due to my work places inability to provide time off.My family however was able to attend.Hats off to the gang at Gonzaga.

• I. P. Freely
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

I can't believe that this was 28 years ago...it seems like it was just the other day, I must be getting old. Tragedy of epic proportions.

• Robin