Peter Dawe withdraws as candidate in byelection due to health reasons

Staff ~ The Telegram

Peter Dawe announced this morning he is withdrawing as the Liberal candidate in the upcoming by-election in the District of Topsail due to health reasons.
"Due to a medical condition, I have decided that my primary concern should now be focused on my health and recovery process," Dawe said in a news release.
"I thank the Liberal Party and the many people who have supported me in my shortened run to become the MHA for the District of Topsail."
Liberal Party Leader Yvonne Jones and Liberal party president Judy Morrow expressed their regret at the news and say their thoughts and prayers, along with all those in the party, are with Dawe as he deals with his medical condition.
A new nomination call in the District of Topsail will be announced in the coming days.

Organizations: Liberal Party

Comments

Comments

• Frank
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Funny Yvonne Jones now speaks out of another side of her month. She blasted Danny for his health issues but now feels sorry for Peter Dawe. Seems Mrs Jones has a law for PC's and a law for Liberals. Yvonne you can't have it both ways. You said you want Danny to come clean well you come clean now. Its a case of the Pot calling the Kettle black.

• Joan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I don't think Dr. Ganguli had anything to do with Mr. Dawe's health problems so it shoudn't be an issue. The doctor apparently has proof that his letter was sent on Dec. 10 - maybe the Telegram has their own agenda or just maybe it is a coincidence. Whatever, I wish Mr. Dawe all the best and hope he comes thru his health problems with flying colours.

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Sarah from NL writes: So saddened to hear this. Believe he would have made great representation, especially with regards to health care in NL. Well spoken man, not nasty, caring. Unfortunate. I guess we will not get our health care system looked at now that he is dropping out. So sad and a loss for NL's.

The article from the oncology doctor at
    Eastern Health slamming him was a political move to block him I believe.

=======================================

The oncology doctor was interviewed on CBC radio today. He (Dr. Ganguly) sent that letter to the Telegram in December 2009, WELL ADVANCE of Ms. Marshall giving up that seat and Mr. Dawe opting to run for the liberals in a bi-election. Apparantly, the Telegram LOST the doctor's letter and ended up running it in this past Weekend's edition. There was no..... I repeat NO intention by the doctor to de-rail Mr. Dawe's run at the seat in Topsail by way of this letter to the Telegram, unless of course you believe the Doctor has the ability to see far into the future. Of course this bit of factual information will make no difference to the conspiracy theorists out there.

• Polly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

It appears that, anyone wishing to run for political office------- opposition----------- in this province , should have the tenacity of a pit viper , the hide of a Rhino and all the diplomatic skills of Atilla Hun .

• Blair
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

It's funny that when Danny was sick, there was outcry, by some, to reveal the nature of his illness.

I hear no such outcry today...I guess know which colour those who ask for such information wear.

For the record, I don't think either owe an explanation to the public and I wish them both well.

• I. P. Freely
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Yeah, I think it's called Liberalitus, it occurs when you find out you don't have a chance in heck to win. LOL

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

I would venture to say this has far more to do with the good Doctors comments regarding a little Cancer Centre in St. Johns then his own health issues. How much you want to wager he was (asked) to withdraw his name.

You really have to love the corruption factor in this province.

• GAR
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Hey, Too Bad From Nl. & Lab., regarding your comment that Curtis Coombs should go where his heart lies and run for the Liberals. Coombs is running where his heart lies and that's with whatever party is in power at the time he's running. He was quoted a few days ago as saying, basically, he's running for the PC party because they're the party in power. So much for all that ' where his heart lies ' crapola. The same thing applies to the vast majority of politicians; their No.1 priority is to look out for No.1; all the rest is simply window dressing blah blah blah .

• To Bad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

If nothing else, he definitely was a fighter - sad to see this, get well soon Mr. Dawe. I think Kurtis Coombs should go where his heart lies and run with the liberals... although hes gonna get a lot of flack for it, I really admired the push he made in the nomination and he changed my mind at the door.

• Gerry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

You folks are being a bit hard on Curtis, after all, he is only a child.
    As far as Peter Dawe's illness and Danny's illness are concerned, it is nobody's business.
    Wish you all the luck Peter, even if I'm not a liberal.

• Lee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

A lot of controversy.
    But it does appear questionable as to why, just a few short weeks ago, he was feeling well enough to decide to run as a candidate, and what this would mean to his future, but suddenly he is not feeling well enough to continue on this journey. Then again, giving him the benefit of the doubt, what if he is really sick?

Kurtis, buddy, you're your own worst enemy; you sure blew this opportunity!

• Bayman
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I guess he went into deep shock when he saw the polls. I bet he has'nt recovered yet. Poor old Yvonne, she will never be Premier

• Uncle
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Something smells fishy here. Stinks the high heavens! A piece in the Telegram about how a cancer doctor is questioning spending at the Cancer Society and Dawe pulls out of the race. Strange how Dawe recently left the Cancer society after it lost its shirt on a lottery and is having trouble paying it's bills on the huge expensive Daffodil Place. To many coincidences here. I guess with the recent spat of dirty politicians I am seeing controversy everywhere. Where there is smoke there is usually someone who is trying to put out a fire. Someone seems to be fighting this fire and trying to contain it before it breaks out into a full blown controversy. Just my take on it. Kind of jaded but hey thats what local politics have done to me. What a sin hey?

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Was a fighter...how can anyone come up with the health excuse a week later...out of the blue illness? Whatever, why bother wasting everyone's time in the first place?

• U.R.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Here you go Kurtis, my opportunist child. Check with your mommy first.

• Bob
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Dis has got to be a huge kick in da shorts for Yvonne Jones and da Liberals. Yvonne is quoted as saying: Dis is very unfortunate for Mr. Dawe and I wish him well in his recovery. Da Liberals will rebound as soon as dey can find a suitable candidate.

• S
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Hey Bob:

I wonder what you sound like? Any accent there?

If a CFA had made a similar remark about the accent of of our politicians, the province would be up in arms. I guess it's ok to be at the recieving end of denigrating opinions if it come from our own.

July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Well Mr. Freely, wouldn't you feel foolish if it turns out Mr. Dawe's condition is serious or even life threatening.

• Sarah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

The article from the oncology doctor at
    Eastern Health slamming him was a political move to block him I believe. Travesty, given Eastern Health and the doctors were part of the problem and misdiagnosis. Many parts of the system broke down and I did not see doctors coming out of the woodwork to assist patients dying or being misdiagnosed. That was all kept secret by some of these same doctors that now claim to be holier than thy. Hypocrits and the same dysfunctional health care system of denial of any fault. Yet these doctors can point fingers and libel/ slander people who are good people. Perhaps a law suite is in order for libel /slander? Doctors should not be into the political campaigns anyway, influencing one way or another and keep their political views to themselves. I do not see any of them trying to improve the system the way this man has, just lining their own pockets and leaving people to die or be misdiagnosed.

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

To b.t and Lee

Is is obvious that you folks have not have had a serious illness. Some illnesses cannot be seen or felt until a Dr. diagnosis' it. It is possible that he was not feeling sick, but when he had a medical done, something serious showed up. it is better to keep your foolish remarks to yourself and have people wonder if you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubts.

Mr. Dawe, i wish you well and a speedy recovery from your illness. You have given your time and energy to help others. May you get some in return.

• Jerome
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

So sorry to hear about Mr. Dawe's poor health. May God bless him in his recovery. It is sad that he had to withdraw as the Liberal candidate in the by-election for the district of Topsail.
    He would have been great. But, naturally, health and well-being comes first.

Kurtis Coombs, too bad you jumped ship so quickly from the possibility (though vague) of being Mayor of Paradise into running as a PC candidate. This opportunity here as a Liberal candidate is a sunken ship for you now....not a stepping stone.

• Sounding
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Sarah from NL
    You might be right there on that letter from the doc. Amazing Russell Wangersky found it just now. Totally amazing!

• Frank
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Joan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

The article from the oncology doctor at
    Eastern Health slamming him was a political move to block him I believe.

=======================================

• Polly
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Blair
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• I. P. Freely
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Nasty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

You really have to love the corruption factor in this province.

• GAR
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• To Bad
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Gerry
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

You folks are being a bit hard on Curtis, after all, he is only a child.
    Wish you all the luck Peter, even if I'm not a liberal.

• Lee
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

A lot of controversy.

Kurtis, buddy, you're your own worst enemy; you sure blew this opportunity!

• Bayman
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• Uncle
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• U.R.
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

Here you go Kurtis, my opportunist child. Check with your mommy first.

• Bob
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• S
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

Hey Bob:

I wonder what you sound like? Any accent there?

July 01, 2010 - 19:47

• Sarah
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

The article from the oncology doctor at

• Fred
    July 01, 2010 - 19:46

To b.t and Lee

• Jerome
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

He would have been great. But, naturally, health and well-being comes first.

• Sounding