Collector suffers big loss

Terry Roberts

Canada Post has no explanation for missing hockey card collection

Canada Post officials say they have no idea what happened to a valuable collection of hockey cards that went missing after being posted at its Shoppers Drug Mart outlet on Gibson Drive in Mount Pearl.

"We've done everything we could. It's nowhere to be found," Canada Post spokesperson Genevieve Latour said Friday.

It's not the news hockey fanatic Joe Yetman of St. John's wanted to hear, and he's willing to pay a $2,500 cash reward to anyone who can provide information on the whereabouts of the cards.

Joe Yetman looks over some of the thousands of hockey cards from his collection. Yetman recently lost a shipment of the cards worth $5,000 when he dropped them off at Canada Post to be mailed to another collector. - Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

Yetman, who is 40, has been collecting hockey cards since he was seven, and has accumulated a collection he estimates is valued at several hundred thousand dollars.

For instance, he has multiple rookie cards of some of the game's biggest names, including Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard cards that are valued at $3,000 each. He also had 21 Wayne Gretzky rookie cards.

He has more than one collection of some valuable sets, and decided to sell some of the extras to help pay for a high school graduation gift for his son.

He recently sold a rare set of 1957 Parkhurst hockey cards online at eBay for US$5,000 to another collector in Thunder Bay, Ont.

There were 50 cards, all in mint condition. Half the cards featured players from the Toronto Maple Leafs, while the remainder were of players with the Montreal Canadiens.

Included were Frank Mahovlich and Henri Richard rookie cards, and other well-known players such as Maurice Richard, Dick Duff, Charlie Hodge, Bernie "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion and George Armstrong.

He's made many similar transactions over the years with no problems. But things were different this time.

After receiving the funds from the buyer, Yetman packaged the cards and took them to the Canada Post outlet on Jan. 2, and paid $32 in fees to have the cards shipped by Xpresspost.

Confident that the package would reach its destination, Yetman insured the item for $1,100, well below its actual value.

"After sending cards Xpresspost for over 10 years with no problems, I figured there would not be any issues," Yetman said.

It usually takes three business days for an item to reach its destination. But 10 days later, Yetman said he received an e-mail from the buyer, saying he hadn't received the cards.

Yetman checked the tracking number on the package, which showed it was received by Canada Post. But that seems to be where the mystery begins.

It's now been more than two months, and the package still hasn't turned up.

Latour said it's possible the package could have been stolen. She said postal inspectors have carried out an investigation, but with no results.

"We do apologize. This was an unfortunate incident," she said.

She said such an incident is quite rare.

"It's not the type of result we like to have. We try to deliver on time, all the time, and we do that over 95 per cent of the time."

Yetman had to return the US$5,000 to the buyer, and said he has lost some of his confidence in Canada Post.

He said he'll use the corporation again, but will bring his packages to the Canada Post headquarters on Kenmount Road.

He'll also insure his packages for the full value.

Canada Post has settled Yetman's insurance claim, but he's still out several thousand dollars.

Yetman is doing his best to spread the word about his missing cards. He has many contacts in the card collector community, both here and abroad, and hopes that anyone trying to sell the collection will set off an alarm with someone.

"This is a really rare set," he said.

troberts@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Canada Post, Shoppers Drug Mart, Toronto Maple Leafs Montreal Canadiens

Geographic location: Mount Pearl, St. John's, Thunder Bay Kenmount Road

Comments

Comments

• Willie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

I've sent and received plenty of ''important packages'' all over the country and have yet to have any problems. You've just got to wrap things properly to make sure no unwanted attention is drawn.

Plenty of folks in rural areas could teach this fellow a thing or two about the subject.

Willie Hunt
    Pouch Cove, NL

• Peter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Did the package make it out of NL as per tracking? I know of another big dealer who has been missing mail recently as well.

• Mary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I think Canada Post should do an overhaul of its employees. There has to be something wrong with the system, and it seems to have started when they started to hire so many part-time employees, and from all nationalities which is normal for our multicultural country. There are many who don't even speak our language when you ask them about the mail delivery. They just smile and walk away, never get an answer from them.
    The problem seems to be within the framework of the company, not with the man or woman who puts the letters in your mailbox.
    Do you think Canada Post will admit to bad service when the employees will never admit to their wrong doings, they don't even trust each other. talk to your lifelong, everyday mailman, he will tell you where the problems are in Canada Post.

• FB
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Here is a challange for you all. Ask someone at Canada Post who they know that got them the job there. (answer: brother, dad, mom, sister, etc....). Just like Health care here and what a great situation they have got going over there as well....Who you know, who you know. I have found that if you mail a card and it feels like a gift card in it, it will never make it. so be very wary of sending gift cards as they seem to never make it either. And yes there tracking is a joke.

• no surpeise
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

No surprise here really, afterall, what can we expect with the post office which is staffed by unionized, overpayed (people).

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

I can understand Mr. Yetman's frustration with this incident, this is not an acceptable outcome, however Yetman says he insured the cards at well below their value. This begs the question, why did'nt he insure the cards for full replcement value? I would'nt insure my car or house at twenty percent of it's value.

• Sounding
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

Over $500 value always FedEx for me.

• Peter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I bet if it wasn't insured and the amount was not stated it wouldn't have gone missing

It's a hard lesson to learn but I think his reasoning for not insuring the full amount goes beyond trying to save a few bucks and it is not the issue here at all, unfortunate really.

• Heather
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I had a bad experience with Canada Post when I sent a parcel overseas. I ended up having to do all the tracking (via long distance telephone calls) myself. I paid for 7 day delivery but it was six weeks before I found the package. There were further complications that I don't need to get into but it was a fiasco.

• Mario
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

It's funny to hear all of you people blame the man for not insuring his package and not the incompetence of of this poorly run company. Ever think that the problem is with the insurance? Insurance companies are a bigger problem than any other in the world. In my opinion, they are pure evil. Maybe the cost of insuring the package was more then the package was worth, I wouldn't doubt it. I got a quote on moving insurance when I moved to St. John's. To insure my belongings It would have cost me more than all the stuff was worth, so why would I insure it? All insurance companies care about is quarterly profits - they are professional scam artists who are immune to the law. If the man had insured the package at full cost, it probably would have taken years of battling with the company to get his money back. It costs me $2100 a year to insure a car that is worth about $2000, does that make any sense? To date, I have paid more than triple the car value in insurance, so If someone destroys my car and they have to replace it, they would have still robbed me blind. Insurance companies are a major contributing factor in keeping the poor man poor and the rich man rich, no denying it. I would rather drive, keep my money, and pay for any damage I cause out of my own pocket, because my pockets would be alot more full if I didn't have to pay for this rip off. And maybe, if this were the case, people would be more cautious of making stupid driving decisions becuase they would have to pay for any damage they cause. The way the current system works, depending on how rich I am, I could drive like a maniac in a 2 tonne killing machine without worrying about a thing - is that logical?

What kind of delivery company can't keep track of a box worth $5000 any ways? They must hire monkeys - no - stupid monkeys, because a regular monkey wouldn't screw that up. And I would hope that a few of those monkeys are gonna lose their jobs after this screw up. I have used Fed Ex and UPS several times and have NEVER had an issue like this. Do yourself a favor and boycott the Canada Post mailing service, the plug needs to be pulled on this pathetic business.

• Joan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Just wondering why Canada Post can't do anything else, tracking it by who was working etc?
    Hope you get the items back.

Also, why did we have to know his age?
    Does it make a difference in the story?

• Chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

After losing such a large shipment he should go with a real delivery company (fedex, etc)
    and not a crown corporation that runs their operations like a joke.

• Telling it like how
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

First off, does the article really need to advertise this guys collection of Gretzky and Howe rookie cards and their current going value?

Why not tell the theives, ah, I mean readers his pin number, home address and if his daughter is 18 yet.

Bottom line, when it comes to shipping valuables, use FedEX, you get real time updates, from the time the package is placed in the box, taped up, sent from airport to airport.

Canada post for birthday cards, xmas cards, fine.

$5000 valuables - FedEx.

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

If I were a collector, I wouldn't make it public.. There are too many thieves looking for easy pickings.
    Mr Yetman is no different than most of us who try and save any extra monies that we pay to Canada Post.
    It takes a loss to learn the lesson once burned, twice shy.
    I shipped a small package to Newfoundland and I questioned the rate charged.
    Clerk's Comment It's because it has to cross the gulf .
    Hopefully, Mr Yetman will get his items back and if stolen,the thief will be caught and prosecuted.

• Chad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

It's hard to feel sorry for this guy. He had the chance to insure the package for the correct amount and he didn't. It's a hard lesson to learn, but for a few more dollars, this would have been a non-story.

Does he have his house under insured as well?

• Louis
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Friggin' old hockey cards. That's as bad as the fuss over Crosbys missing hockey stick. Idol worship over inanimate objects is nuts. It's just paper and wood.

• Lou
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I received a birthday gift from my sister earlier this year express post torn apart and taped up with a stamp on it saying it was received like this. Gee I wondered why my sister would send me a gift in that shape! Last year Cdn Post lost a chaps rare book - their compensation a book of stamps after several months. Just a month or so ago a part time Cdn Post employee In Saskatchewan was found to have hundreds of thousands of undeliverable mail in his garage. If was an unheated building and over time the paper got moist and mold developed and ALL the mail was destroyed over health concerns. Judge gave him a suspended sentence. These stories go on and on and nothing changes - maybe WE should and stop using Canada Post for anything important. I use the bus for xmas presents - faster cheaper and more reliable!

• Chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Not to pick up for insurance companies but car insurance is a bad example Mario. Insuring your car doesn't just cover the cost of the car. It also covers liabilty for anybody injured, usually up to a million dollars. Different than postal insurance where the only loss is the goods you are shipping.

• B
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I sent 3 Christmas Cards to Toronto ( luckly with cheques) in them,first week in Dec the still havent recieved them yet

• not-yet-again
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Where can a consumer of Canada Post and/or its outlets obtain statistics for botched handling of our mail? I, personally have had 3 bad experiences with mail handled through this particular Mount Pearl outlet including mail not received, extremely late deliveries, not fulfilling their mail-forwarding contracts, and very poor communication when trying to resolve problems. We also had an incident in the past 6 months, whereby a certified cheque handled by Canada Post's Express mail, was never found nor recovered. It is time for this money-losing corporation to get its house in order. Why are these items going missing? Why is their staff so ill trained to communicate with customers? (staff have no empowerment) Their investigation results were never disclosed. I'm willing to bet there are many more similar cases going unreported...

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

UPS may be OK for domestic service, but never, ever have anything shipped from the US by UPS.

And FedEx are absolute idiots. I recently had a package come from France, one day to get from Paris to Canada, three days the FedEx truck drove around looking for my address, and the first notice they left at my door was the ''final'' one warning me that the package would be returned as undeliverable if I didn't come and pick it up at their (extremely inconvenient) office.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Most of you are too generous for Post Canada, but mean to Yetman. We all are already paid a lot for Express service. Post Canada is supposed to be responsible for the security of our items. Why should we pay extra money for insurance? How come all of us are brain-washed by Post Canada? Post Canada is doing something unreasonable, but most of us accept it as reasonable truth.

• Chad
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I'm also surprised that Canada Post admits to a 96% delivery success rate. With 40,000,000 pieces of mail a day (http://www.canadapost.ca/corporate/about/annual_report/aboutus2-e.html).

That means 1,600,000 don't make it on time or don't make it at all. That's too many.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Why would anyone send anything of value by Canada Post? Too many hands in the mix to take that risk. Maybe Customs took them. Was the proper value stated?

• Responsible Citizen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Canada Post changes locks at those community mailboxes (for new keys) and drops the old hardware where they were taken off. Yes, right there on the sidewalk in front of those community mailboxes. The old hardware being nuts, lock tongues and cylinders. I called CP last week and complained about this lazy practice of littering and they blamed it on the people they contract the lock changes out to. Then I brought up the issue of perpetual litter around these mailboxes. While the paper littered is thrown there by homeowners, why can't CP be a part of the solution, as they are certainly complicit in the problem with the delivery of junk mail people do not want. The lady on the phone from CP headquarters who called me back suggested I go to their website and post a suggestion. WTF is that going to do ? It's like urinating in the wind. Canada Post is a mickey mouse operation with no sense of civic responsibilty.

• Notta chance
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Mary Shaw from Richmond Hill, Ontario writes: I think Canada Post should do an overhaul of its employees. ------- Well, that's the problem...Employees of Shopper's Drug Mart are NOT Canada Post employees....This service was privatized almost 25 years ago....

• mainlander
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

I find myself agreeing with Mario for once. Don't blame the victim. There are dishonest employees in a lot of places and chances are a place the size of Canada Post is not immune. Someone may have lost the package, someone may have stolen it, or it may be sitting in the back of a Canada Post tractor trailer that somone thinks is unloaded but is actually full of mail. I had packages go missing when I lived in residence at university, I have sent Bday cards that never made it to their destination, I have had mail show up that was opened and I even got an Xmas card this year 3 weeks after it was mailed (from NL to ON). It's ridiculous. I switched to a courier service. And insurance companies are a rip off. They should be run as non-profit or coop entities and all money that would be profit should go back into savings for the people who purchase their policies. But then who would get rich?

• mom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

I use Xpresspost for all my packages and have never had any problem. I shipped many packages to my children in Calgary and to other relatives across the country. I always insure my packages for the full value because if something ever did happen I would get my money back. One time my package was delivered two days later than the guaranteed date and I got a refund for the postage, so I actually saved money by using Xpresspost.

• Lori
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I frequently buy items from outside the province. The tracking numbers are a joke. The package is tracked to Dieppe New Brunswick and there the tracking stops. The next time the item is scanned is in our tiny local post office out around the bay.

Yeah sure we have a direct route from New Brunswick to Tiny Cove Newfoundland?! tell the truth Canada Post. You don't track!!!

• Sea-Dog
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Hey--come on people lighten up,this is Canada Post we're talking about. In our area we have a Super Mail Box (SUPER ?? ) and you can have your mail delivered wet or dry all for the same price, meanwhile 2 mins down the street they have door to door delivery--how the hell do they get away with that stunt ?? Why do they call them super mail boxes ??

• Mikalah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I had something sent to me as well, but when I opened the package I found a box of cheques belonging to someone else, not even close to where I live. My merchandise was gone. Inside job...maybe!!!

• anne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

she said such an incident is quite rare

really? i think not...my pkg to ft mac last xmas apparently went back and forth between TO and AB severaltimes before we discovered 3 mos later it was never recv'd
    ...funny thing, within a week of enquiring, it mysteriously appeared...back here in kelligrews! no apology or explanation, apparently i had just paid $30 to give my pkg a repeated tour of central/western canada, only to have it end up back with me
    (next time i'll make sure my mail has a frequent flyer card!)

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

do insured packages have any stickers or markings on them to indicate they have been insured? Just wondering if insuring the package provides the tipoff to whomever is pilfering them?

I'd still insure my packages if they were valuable, but I'd definitely insure them for the full value.

• Newfie Bill
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I don't get this, if the package was worth $5000 why insure it for $1100. I have used Canada Post a number of times and I always insure for the value of the package + 15%. After all it is Insurance, and lets face it, it's Canada Post, enough said.

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Insuring a $5000 parcel for $1000? Not the sharpest tool in the shed. With entrepreneurial skills like this its no wonder he's selling stuff to buy a corsage for a grad.

• Jason
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Although Shoppers is used as an outlet for Canada Post it is not actually run by canada post, and the people behind the desk are not employees of canada post. they are working for shoppers who pays canada post for the right to be a retail outlet. so if it was stolen out of the shoppers it was stolen by an employee of shoppers not canada post. And I dont know where ppl get there info but canada post is not sending their mail out of the country to be sorted. it is sorted in house at several cdn sortation depots.

• ME
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

I know how you feel, I wasn't out as much, but I sent a shipment of coins to a buyer and the exact same thing happened to me.

Very frustrating!

• Frank
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

This is almost like a ghostly story that might yet have a happy ending, I hope.

I have noticed over the Christmas holidays that many of my christmas cards received were open or torn. We suspect that this is done by a machine when there just might be human minds in the workings somewhere. I understand some workers were charged somewhere in Canada?

The days of getting your mail through to its destination is questionable?
    It seemed to reach its destination more efficently and safer during the days of the dog and horse drawn sleighs. It was not unusual to receive damaged mail once dumped on the pier in Port Aux Basque. I received a parcel of old photos that were not damaged, but the well wrapped box was torn and soaked. I was lucky because the lady who sent me the photos had it wrapped well in a Mammy's Bakery plastic bags she had saved over the years.

I received a parcel in December from The Ambassador Program in Newfoundland and Labrador with the bottom of the box detached and all wrapped in duct tape. The contents were displaced and torn as well. The only remark from the postal clerk was Sorry sir, we received the package like this and continued to serve another customer.
    Canada Post wants to send our mail out of the country to be assorted, can you imagine the confusion and damage by the time our mail goes to China and back? Think we have problems now?

• W
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

About three percent of my tracking numbers never yield tracking information beyond the ''received by Canada Post'' phase. International delivery to other first-world countries in Europe and Asia can easily take more than three months. And I've had other international packages delivered on-time and in perfect condition.... to the address I mailed them from.

Canada Post's parcel services are atrocious, and getting worse. Stories like this one are cropping up all over the country lately.

• Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

This guy was cheap and tried to save a few cents. But then again whenever I think of Canada Post, I think of those community mailboxes and all the garbage they attract blowing around each and every neighbourhood. A big thank-you goes out to Canada Post for a job well done.

• irene
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I am not at all surprised. I sent my daughter in Alberta a gift card and it was never received. My sister in law sent her daughter a check at the same time.. Never got there. I made a complaint and the only areas not videotaped are the actual delivery so......I guess there are dishonest people everywhere. I will certainly never send anything valuable in the mail again.

• Consumer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

I received a package from a retailer a few weeks ago, the box was opened and several items of clothing were missing, I dont know how the retailers insure their packages but the items I was missing were reimbursed by the retailer.

When I received the package at Canada Post, the clerk told me to go back to the retailer and get my money back. They did not even offer to file a report of the missing items. FYI this was not at Shoppers, this one was at Lawtons.

• Jack
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

The outlets in Shoppers Drug Mart are private and do not employ direct staff of Canada Post. And they can charge different amounts than Canada Post itself, if they so choose.

• Notta chance
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Not to brow beat you old son....BUT that's where you should have taken it in the first place.......I have NEVER mailed a Shoppers and will continue in that manner...Too bad you're out some very nice and valuable property..Good luck on getting this one back.....

• Delphine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

I agree with Peter here. Even if he didn't insure then he still payed for a service he never got..
    Wish Canada post could explain how two packages 1 with 2 cd's going to the same person cost $17.+,and another same side box also but had 3 cd's weighed little more,but cost less$13. mailed few hours apart..

• ang
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

i have worked for a postal outlet in st.johns and i know what its like, i have seen many people have issues with getting there parcels or cards on time or even getting them at all... you see when you send ur parcel at a outlet they may not have a scanning process in that store so it doesnt get scanned til it gets to the headquarters for canada post thats where the problem starts .. if they dont scan it there then whos to say the next stop on the route doesnt do the same thing.. many of the outlet workers are not paid canada post wages and the turn over is very high staff wise so they do not know how to fully edcated the customer about the postal services insurance and other things .. its sad to see this but i have seen it many times in my years of working for 8.50(2years ago) to do a job that pays a average of 20.00 per hour.. like ever where else they are trying to save money by having outlets but its causing the public more stress... if i have to mail something i take it to a post office not a outlet ... hard lesson to learn sure hope you get your cards back , just glad you were not mailing your 18 wayne gretzey cards..

• Willie

• no surpeise
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• Sounding
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

Over $500 value always FedEx for me.

• Peter
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• Heather
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

• Mario
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• Joan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Hope you get the items back.

Also, why did we have to know his age?
    Does it make a difference in the story?

• Chris
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

and not a crown corporation that runs their operations like a joke.

• Telling it like how
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Canada post for birthday cards, xmas cards, fine.

$5000 valuables - FedEx.

• Steve
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

It takes a loss to learn the lesson once burned, twice shy.
    I shipped a small package to Newfoundland and I questioned the rate charged.
    Clerk's Comment It's because it has to cross the gulf .

• Chad
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

Does he have his house under insured as well?

• Louis

July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• Mikalah
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• anne
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

she said such an incident is quite rare

(next time i'll make sure my mail has a frequent flyer card!)

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Newfie Bill
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Donny
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Jason
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• ME
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

Very frustrating!

• Frank
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

This is almost like a ghostly story that might yet have a happy ending, I hope.

The days of getting your mail through to its destination is questionable?

• W