Lights in 250 Canadian cities to be dimmed Saturday to mark Earth Hour

The Canadian Press ~ The News

The lights will be switched off at landmarks in more than 250 Canadian cities Saturday to mark Earth Hour.
People the world over are asked to turn off the lights from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. local time to show global support for action on climate change.
The World Wildlife Fund says landmarks will be dimmed in more than 115 countries and the 250 Canadian communities signed up is the most of any country.
The environmental group says many corporate leaders have also signed on, including such well-known brands as Coca-Cola and Sears Canada.
Earth Hour is a global WWF initiative that began in Sydney, Australia in 2007, and has since grown into a global movement.
WWF Canada president Gerald Butts says Earth Hour is a "great way to show global support for action on climate change."
He says he hopes people will "use Earth Hour to think about the changes they can make every day to help make a difference."

Organizations: World Wildlife Fund, Coca-Cola, Sears Canada

Geographic location: Sydney, Australia

Comments

Comments

• bah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

This is just more silly globaloney warming/climate change nonsense. My lights shall remain ON.

• Whatever Bud
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Why don't people try to conserve energy all 365 days of the year. Oh right,the way you getted billed/ripped off by NL Power doesnt really give any incentive to care.I cannot figure out why my power bills are higher than last year (figuring in the 3% increase) yet we had a much warmer winter and I use OIL as my heat source. Im very frugal over electricity use and have timers on everything but I still get a bill higher than people in apartments who have electric heat. I love how they estimate my December bill,they must use the logic that EVERYONE is a Griswold and has xmas lights on for a month. I had no xmas lights at all and my bill was still higher than it was for the colder months. I think all meters should be switched to digital,that way its much easier to spot the errors .My last house had digital and I was ripped off every month even though they swore it was read and not estimated. I guess NLPower uses a formula,one that assumes everyone wastes electricity and makes everyone pay for it.

• Rhonda
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Stop Global Warming! Doesn't work, that's right, they were caught committing fraud, cooking the books, and now of course have lost the data to support a decade or more of that propaganda... STOP Climate Change!! TURN OUT THE LIGHTS...It WILL CHANGE your consciousness, turning off those MERCURY filled lights made in China. You know the ones that can make you deathly ill if not disposed of in the proper manner when broken....If it's repeated often enough from sesame street, indocrination centres (schools), TV, Universities, AND we have ELECTED politicians on a constant barage of just how terrible our human behavior has CAUSED the climate to react in such a violent manner then we have a PERFECT recipe for lemmings. Just as a starting point for many of you, take a look at www.climatechangefraud.com and you'll soon begin to realize what's really going on. Don't turn off your lights OR your MIND. Oh, and have a happy enviroment day.

• Glenn
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Sorry WWF, but we use our lights at that time; kids, life etc, hope you understand. We could fit you in at 3 A.M. Does that work for you?

• James