Used needle found near bus stop in Carbonear

Staff ~ The Telegram

RCMP were called to a school bus stop on Pondside Road in Carbonear Tuesday after a used needle was found.
This needle was collected and disposed of in a medical-approved container and no other needles were found during a search of the area.
The RCMP would like to remind the public, if a needle or syringe is found, to not pick it up. People should contact their local RCMP who will collect and dispose of the item properly. Parents are asked to talk to their children, inform them if they find a needle or syringe, to not touch it but tell their bus driver, teacher or parent about it, who will then contact the RCMP.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Carbonear, Pondside Road

Comments

Comments

• Joni
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

A used needle warrants the attention of the RCMP? A little over the top I think. In this case, it could have been left by a litterbug diabetic. While I believe the public needs to be educated about proper disposal of used syringes (or razer blades or broken glass, etc. etc.) calling the RCMP every time one is found seems to be uncalled for and a waste of taxpayers money......it also points to drug usage which may not be the case at all. For the Telegram to report on such a seemingly nothing thing....well, can't be too much in the news these days is all I can say.

• Whatever Bud
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Slow day in the news I guess. I was at an Irving Station washroom here in St. John's 2 days ago and the side was smashed out of the used needle disposal box.Anyone could have taken a used syringe (if there were any left at that point)

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

WOW!! How are the RCMP handling such a case load?? A simple 5 minute presentation in the local schools will get the word out to the kids.

• Joni