Comments

Comments

• Grace
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

A note to Graham: It is clearly stated in the article that the purpose of Earth Hour is NOT the small reduction in energy usage for that one hour. Everyone involved is aware of that. The purpose is symbolic and is about showing that we want our governments to begin taking climate disruption seriously by committing to real GHG reductions. So far Canada has done very little to address the problem, and has even stalled action at the international level. The more events we have like this one which show that Canadians want action now and are willing to make changes in their own lives, the more likely that policy makers will have to pay attention.

Last point: I'm not sure why you're making the assumption that the participants in Earth Hour are only trying to save energy once a year. Many, many people that I know make an effort in their daily lives to cut their energy consumption, drive less, eat locally and so on. They just don't make a media stunt about it every time.

Thanks and Happy Earth Hour!

• Graham
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Yeah, how dumb is this. Turn off all your lights which only accounts for about 4% of your electricity consumption. But it's going to be -5°C this evening/tonight with 10-20cm of snow in the forecast with the baseboard heaters trying to keep the house at a livable temperature. How many people here understand how many kWh this will consume ? Maybe we should just throw the cutoff switch to the electrical panel to remove all power to the house. I practice efficiency all year around, the other make-myself-feel-gooders just find it to be a once a year novelty, the closest they will ever get to camping. Pure hypocrisy.

• climate change
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

unless the US pass a cap and trade then there will be no green economic incentive which wont spill into Canada. Of course in either country environment and common sense needs to come ahead of profitable business propositions by huge lucrative companies.

• Graham
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

I see what you are saying Grace, but a symbolic gesture by us will only lead to a symbolic gesture from the government (actually, it has already).

I see so many people on a daily basis who do not even exhibit the slightest form of energy conservation or carbon footprint reduction.

We have groups talking about Earth Day now and still many people have not even heard of Earth Hour.

This is one of those few cases where an individual can safely assume (a$$-u-me, I know it well) that few people conserve energy outside this family indoor camping day. I doubt anyone reading this built a carbon neutral fire (wood burning is carbon neutral) to toast their bread for breakfast this morning. Again, pure hypocrisy.

Thanks for your concern though.

• nonsense
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Earth hour, total nonsense, I will not be participating in this foolish new age hippie bull. I will be at home watching tv with the lights slightly dimmed as per usual for a relaxing evening, greeies be darned.

• Grace
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

Thanks and Happy Earth Hour!

• Graham
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• climate change
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

• Graham
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

Thanks for your concern though.

• nonsense