Dunville man not allowed in to hear budget

Dave Bartlett

Jeremiah Perry drove in from Dunville, Placentia Bay, Monday to hear Finance Minister Tom Marshall deliver his budget speech.

Perry has done this before and in the past has been told he would be allowed into the public gallery if there were any free seats, which there normally are.

Jeremiah Perry drove from his Dunville home Monday to Confederation Building to watch the budget reading, only to be told he wasn't allowed in. - Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

There were free seats in the gallery Monday, but Perry was turned away.

"The security are saying, 'Oh, no, no it's invitation only," he told The Telegram from the lobby of Confederation building where he mingled with reporters and others interested in the budget.

"They also told me, last week they had a ruckus up there (in the public gallery), someone was unruly ... and they had to escort him out," Perry continued.

The Telegram witnessed a man being asked to leave the gallery last week after shouting down to the floor during a debate over negotiations with the province's doctors. But the man was allowed back in later that day.

Perry said he was "more than frustrated" by being turned away.

"I'm a law abiding citizen," he said. "I just wanted to go up and listen to the budget."

Perry's MHA, Justice Minister Felix Collins, also spoke to The Telegram.

"I had no idea there was either constituent of mine here from Dunville," he said. But Collins said as far as he knows seating in the gallery is reserved for invited guests and each MHA and minister only has one or two invites to give out.

dbartlett@thetelegram.com

Organizations: The Telegram

Geographic location: Placentia Bay

Comments

Comments

• Fred
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Public Gallery is an open invitation to the public,you don't need a special invitation,first come first served. No ifs,ands,buts. about it.

• I C Clearly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Manny Clarke - rather than addess the issue of abuse of provlidge by this government you choose to attack those that bring it up. That's an all too familiar tactic used every time Dan gets caught out. I'd love to run for office, but there's a snowballs chance in he11 of getting nominated. You see Manny, I am a conservative. The current government uses that label but behaves in any way but. If I decide to run for office, it will be once the present establishment are shown the door.
    As for the performance of our Premier - well, he had 1 good day. He talks a good talk, but his policy is weak and his strategy is one of appeasement. Buy the voters with their own money and laugh at them when the card house tumbles. Danny will be runnning off to his private physician when NL's healthcare is in shambles, he will be retiring from public life when the treasury is indebted beyond recovery, and he will not be accountable for his irresponisbility. We've seen too many false prophets in NL's political history - it's up to the voters to decide when enough is enough. Apparently, they are mostly content to place their trust in government and the false assumption that because our premier cleaned up with his monoply business, he mustbe somewhat knowledgable about running a province. To borrow an overused quote 'nothing could be further from the truth'

• Manuel
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Yes im sure Danny did this because he is afraid to face people like you Pierre Neary, Nate,I C Clearly and Stop the Racket. Its your group of you that can bring down this government.
    Come guys its about time you little boys grow up and actually do something with your lives except come on a website and voice your opinion. Why not be somewhat productive and run for government if your so smart? You guys talk the talk so lets see you walk the walk.
    Lets face it guys, this isnt news. Some guy came here from his hometown and was turned away because things were happening and it was invite only. So what. Is this going to topple our government because one public seating section as made invite only. This is one very large conspiracy isnt Nate.
    So lets see how you 4 disoriented people do as our premier.
    Nate most are sick of your comments and your nothing more then a mouth peice. Make something of your life for once and get off chair, run for government and do so much better a job then Danny.

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I would just like to say to all the immature politically uneducated people who constantly rag on Danny grow the hell up and think before you speak and make sure you know what your talking about .. Iv never seen so many people make themselves look like idiots in my entire life . I can only imagine how much worse life in this province would be if any of you were ever elected.

Ps. Stephen Harper is the real problem!

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Sam, I must say that you sure follow your Tory Blue Line very well. For not one moment did you not think that a high percentage of people just might not fall for the Danny Train as you? Maybe the comments by a good many are showing the distrust people have for poor leadership and it is showing. I keep telling you people that I do not support any of the current party leaders since not a one could do for the people what they should. As long as you all enjoy seeing all that was gained pi$$ed away with nothing to show for it fine.

Yup, Have Not For Sure.

PS, for those that enjoy trying to use my name to counter what I say, thanks. It just shows how right I really am and you are in fear that others will wake up and see the light. Pretty petty really. You would have much more credit if you were to comment under another when trying to discredit or counter the truth that is right at your feet.

• Public Gallery not
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Manuel Clarke, you are very wrong about your thoughts on democracy. I think if Danny said tomorrow we were abandoning oil and buying multi million dollar greenhouses to grow cucumbers, or building a WOOD hockey stick factory you'd think they were the best ideas. Try having an independant thought once in a while.

• Linden
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Francine from St. John's, Nl says... If he wanted to ensure a seat all he had to do was request an invitation in advance from his member like everyone else.

Did you read ALL of the article ? Perry has done this before and in the past has been told he would be allowed into the public gallery.

Even Justice Minister Felix Collins seemed unsure of the rules. Just towing the party line hey Felix ? But you really have no clue about how government works do you ? I'm sure they aren't the only rules you have no clue about. You're the Justice Minister right ?

This government makes up rules depending on which way the wind blows that day.

• Francine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Linden, sorry to burst your enthusiastic response, but I know the rules of whereas Minister Collins obviously doesn't since he may not have any need too until know. This is the way it's always been and if you hadn't been so hasty in slamming me and did your research you'd also know the rules.

• Welder
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Hey Manuel, So people are not allowed to voice an opinion? No wonder you support this government.

• I C Clearly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Open and transparent - to invited guests only. This government's arrogance and self-importance is laughable. The 93% that support their actions will get their reward - in the form of cleaning up the mess that they supported. Let's hope that they're just as proud, strong and determined when that day comes...

• Francine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Watch your blood pressure Pierre, Nasty Nate and you other whiners; the sky isn't falling. Nothing new here; it's always been the case on budget or the day of the speech from the throne if the gallery was crowded; be it Liberal or Conservative government. If he wanted to ensure a seat all he had to do was request an invitation in advance from his member like everyone else. You people at TheTelegram are a real piece of work.

• Stop the Racket
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

For something like this Danny only wants his loyal cool-aid drinkers present anyway and his rich business buddies. This government isnt about the ordinary every day people its all about big business and oil. Joey Smallwoods old horse on Roaches Line could be in power today and the oil revenues would still be coming in but King Danny makes it sound like he discovered the oil himself any any and all benefits we are getting from it is all because of him. Personally I hope oil bottoms out at about $50/barrell then we would all see that thats about ball Danny has going for himself is the high price of oil. Remove the provincial tax on gas and home heating oil Danny. Were a have province remember? Oh by the way whatever happened to your big Have Province Party come look at me how great I am celebration? The farce that is Danny Williams continues.

• member of the 20%
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I'm with you Racket. These Tory public announcements are kinda like Tiger's press conferences...by select invitation only. No need to write your own questions, we've prepared them for you. Slurp, gulp. Nod, bleet...

• April
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Our government is so open and transparent, isn't it?

• mercedes
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

All the naysayers on here are bluster!NFLDRS have to be taught how to vote. I so often hear; Williams is sure to get in again so i won't even vote. But that's so wrong; if you are against one party at all, get out and vote for someone else. Every vote you give against for anyone but Williams decreases his 80% by one. If everyone voted in this way, the 80% would fast come down. I'm Tory but I vote for the NDP. Williams is into the absolute power of madness on false votes. He is not good for us. I know this won't be posted, though.

• Nasty Nate
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

I apologise for my nasty and ignorant remarks Manuel. To all readers, in the future I will try to refrain from making an a** of myself each day and find something more productive to do with my time.

• Pierre Neary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Invitation only?? This is an outrage. Mr. Perry has every right to sit in the PUBLIC Gallery. More arrogance from this administration. Disgusting.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Manny Clark from St.johns, once all the feeble minded MHA'S step down I would be more then happy to follow your suggestion. Till that time comes I will exercise my right to voice concerns against, Danny and his Blue Freak Show as I will against the Orange and the Red. They are all nothing more then crooks that people like you tend to worship since you think you are better off for supporting this or that then to stand up against foolish propositions. You have a choice to not read what I type as I have the same right to comment against you and every political figure in this country as long as the constitution remains unchanged. I venture to say that you would like to see that right removed so people are unable to speak out against what they see as unfit government, but till that time comes suck it up princess. If you look at where things are going I would place the polls at maybe 60% in the Blue not this fictional 80 to 90% Soon dear Manny, soon. People are fed up with the double bluff that has been going on for years. Danny blew a 2.5 Billion Dollar Surplus in two years. Just think about that while you watch the oil reserves shrink away.

• Stop the Racket
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Mr Clark just pick a district and I would happily run against you any day. All I would need to do is hire someone to cut off your supply of cool-aid and the district would be mine for the taking. Mr Manuel Clark and what exactly is it you do with your life except come here and bash any of us that dare to question your Devine Leader Danny Williams. You would be very surprised indeed if you actually knew what my job is. By the way Mr Clark were you there yesterday? I was and I didnt bring down the government. I had a reason to be there but I have no reason at all to blindly follow and worship Danny Williams like you do.. I am still allowd to think for myself. Try it sometime Mr Clark. Its rather enjoyable not to be manipulated by every word action and deed that comes from Danny Williams. Im walkin the walk Manuel. Are you?

• Goodbye to
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Open Honest & Transparent, Yup.

• Closed, Opaque
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Manuel Clark from St.johns, Newfoundland, Come on Manuel its about time you little boy grow up and actually do something with your life except come on a website and voice your opinion. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Hey Manuel ! Newsflash ! Do you know how governments are torn down ? What ? You don't know any history at all ? The movement starts small and grows.

But Collins said as far as he knows seating in the gallery is reserved for invited guests and each MHA and minister only has one or two invites to give out. Well then you had better figure it out Justice Minister Felix Collins, you had better figure it out. Become knowledgeable, don't stay ignorant.

• Sam Shadey
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Judging by the similar writing styles, new names, and response speed, we have one person using different names attacking Manuel in a sad attempt to make it seem that there are a lot of people against him. Nasty Nate, you must think we are all fools here ... What a pitiful little man you are.

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Government for the Government By The Government is NOT a Government one can trust. Why do we permit this, did not the PEOPLE place these fools into office to SERVE them? They act like they are nothing more then dictators and democracy be dammed.

We need to clean house and kick each and every member out of office. Party lines aside, they are all cut from the same rotting cloth.

• Fred
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• I C Clearly
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Manuel
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

So lets see how you 4 disoriented people do as our premier.

• Steve
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

Ps. Stephen Harper is the real problem!

• Nasty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Yup, Have Not For Sure.

• Public Gallery not
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Linden
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

This government makes up rules depending on which way the wind blows that day.

• Francine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Welder
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• I C Clearly
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Francine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• Stop the Racket
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• member of the 20%
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

• April
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

Our government is so open and transparent, isn't it?

• mercedes
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Nasty Nate
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

• Pierre Neary
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Stop the Racket
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Nasty
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Goodbye to
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

Open Honest & Transparent, Yup.

• Closed, Opaque