First person to donate to Terry Fox Marathon of Hope meets Foxs parents

Staff ~ The Telegram

Terry Fox began his Marathon of Hope run in St. John's 30 years ago.
Today, the first person to hand over a financial donation to Terry's cause met with his parents at the Fox monument in downtown St. John's.
Two-time cancer survivor Linda Hennebury (second from left) remembers well the day she made that donation.
Hennebury poses for a picture at the Fox monument with cancer survivor Eric MacEwen from Prince Edward Island (far left), and Betty and Rollie Fox, Terry's parents.
- Submitted photo

Geographic location: Foxs, St. John's, Prince Edward Island

Comments

Comments

• calvin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

donny dooley . i bet you dont make any donations . i bet you sit back and exspect everything to be handed to you . if you have that much time on your hands go volunteer with an organization or go to work

• Mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Your anonymous donations are no longer welcome at this site

• proud townie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Hey Donny, I have known Linda and Eric a very long time and know that neither of them would ever look for what you call an accolade.
    Both are very well respected individuals. Linda with her business in Quidi Vidi and Eric in the music industry with his radio show in P.E.I. Congrats to Linda for being the first person to start a very important trend for Terry in his Marathon of hope. Where were you during his run across NL. Oh and I did a search for Donny Dooley in your community couldn't find one surprise, surprise.

• Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Donny, if that's your real name, you shouldn't be so quick to criticize people. Linda, who owns the local tavern in Quidi Vidi gut, is well respected and known for her kind heart. If we listened to people like you, we'd all have a complex. Grow up, Donny.

• daniel
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Heather, how can anyone from a place where he is from have positive thoughts?

• Political Watcher
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Donny,lighten up; I am sure that this lady didn't donate just for the accolades . If you ready the story correctly you would have seen that Mrs Hennebury is a two-time cancer survivor and has been personally touched by this disease.
    She like many millions more give freely to Terry's dream and if someone happens to recognize this, I don't see any problem.
    Terry Fox is an international hero and long may his dream live.

• Christina
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Well. good for you, Linda. I know that you did not donate for any glory or praise. You were the first Canadian to have the imagination to give money to Mr. Fox. I'm so glad that you have met his parents.

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

When I make a donation I always do it anonymously and would never want any accolades for doing it...not like some people!

• Heather
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Donny Dooley - do you ever have any positive thoughts?

• Bryce
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

If i recall right Terry Fox and his run for Cancer was taken very lightly in NL.He hardly raised enough money to pay for the gas of his support vehicle.In fact it was not until he left the Maritimes that his Marathon of Hope took off.I'm ashamed to say that when he ran down Dundas St in London i watched him run by with that exhausted but determined look on his face( I'll never forget it ) and i did not donate to his cause.Kudos to Linda Hennebury for her kindness and foresight in helping Terry fulfill his dream.That first donation however big or small kick started Terrys Marathon of Hope and made the dream possible. I'm glad that Linda is still around to share with Terrys parents the celebration of such momentous occasion. Linda is the kind of person that makes me proud to be a Newfoundlander.

• calvin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Mike
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

Your anonymous donations are no longer welcome at this site

• proud townie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Joe
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• daniel
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

Heather, how can anyone from a place where he is from have positive thoughts?

• Political Watcher
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

Terry Fox is an international hero and long may his dream live.

• Christina
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Donny
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• Heather
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

Donny Dooley - do you ever have any positive thoughts?

• Bryce