Cause identified in central Newfoundland bar fight death

Staff ~ The Telegram

The results of an autopsy results for a central Newfoundland man, believed to have died in a bar fight several weekends ago, have been released by police. RCMP officials said Tuesday that Mitchell John Cyril McDonald, 29, of Grand Falls-Windsor, formerly of Norris Arm South, died April 4 as a result of blunt force trauma to the head. The RCMP officials say they're not sure yet whether they will lay charges against the other man in the fight. That man, from Conne River, left the scene but presented himself to police when they were investigating the next day, has been co-operative.
Police have said there is no indication a weapon was used in the altercation.
The matter remains under investigation by the RCMP Grand Falls-Windsor detachment and RCMP major crimes unit.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Grand Falls, Norris Arm South Conne River

Comments

Comments

• 90lb girl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Are they unsure of charging him because he never had a weapon ? What if a 90lb girl was attacked and picked up a rock and struck her attacker who later died, would she be charged because she had a weapon ? What's difference when you are defending yourself ? I would use anything at my disposal to bring the attack to an end, and stop when that goal was accomplished and my safety was regained. So should a 90lb girl not pick up a rock ?

• don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I feel terribly for this young man and his family. This could happen to anyone of us. If charges aren't going to be laid, perhaps the altercation was not the cause of his death. It could have been something as simple as he fell and hit his head, after the altercation. Simple, but deadly, especially when alcohol is involved. I give kudos to the other man who phoned for help and turned himself in when he found out the young man had died. There is obviously something more to this story, and sometimes, accidents do happen.

• bruinsrule
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

if he is not getting charged then it was just a fight that went wrong. i am sure there are a ton of witnesses and i am confident the police got it right this time.

• Jackie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I think the question could be whether he used unnecessary force to defend himself. The idea of defending yourself is not to beat someone senseless if they punched you once. It's using the force that's necessary to stop the attack. I know a guy who went to jail because he got punched in the face and ended up just wailing on the guy until he was unconscious. The idea is that he went further than necessary to protect himself. Not sure what happened in this case, but I know a lot of people are speculating...

• 90lb girl
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Using only enough force to stop the attack was exactly my point in case you never got it. Hence I reiterate... I would use anything at my disposal to bring the attack to an end, and stop when that goal was accomplished and my safety was regained. So again, what does a weapon have to do with it ? If you are strong enough to fight back with your fists and ward off the attack that's great. But what if you are not ? You have to use something until the attacker stops, and that last blow with a rock or whatever you can use, may or may not leave the attacker alive. One can use a weapon with the intention of using only reasonable force to stop the attack. I think what Jackie B. is going on with is if the victim gains the upper hand and starts wailing on the attacker in a vicious way as revenge, or is caught up in an emotional torrent. But everyone knows you shouldn't use excessive force already and I'm sure no one wants to. So one more time... keeping in mind what I have just said above, what does a weapon have to do with it ? Second item of food for thought... what would the police do if they were attacked ? Shoot the attacker ? We all know they shoot to kill and not to maim.

• 90lb girl