Comments

Comments

• R
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I was abused as a child, and as a result suffer from depression and post traumatic stress disorder. When I went through my divorce several years ago, my mother in law (who was a church going so called religious person) said to me that her son should never have married me because I was abused as a child. These words have stuck with me for many years, and of all the criticism I have endured over this illness, I think these words were the worse for me.

I suffered with this all my life, as a child, I had no help, no support. Now I am in my 40's, I have worked long and hard to control this illness. But I dont feel like a victim anymore, I am a survivor. I have a great career, raised a child who is almost finished university and although I still struggle with my illness, it has not gotten the best of me yet.

But unlike Paula, I choose to keep my illness a secret, very few people know about it, why, because of the stigma and the criticisms that go along with it.

It is sad because most of us who have this illness live a double life, one is we pretend we are healthy and fine, and inside of that we know we have this illness and fight to keep it hidden.

• C
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I'm extremely proud of of the men and women who spoke out. I am excited to attend this book launch and shake the hands of some of these brave people. Well done.!

• Bonnie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Life is very hard to live with a mental illness. Even harder when you are made to feel ashamed because of it.
    I take medication daily for bi-polar,and have my days.
    Anyone at any time can develop a mental illness.Think twice before you judge it could be you tomorrow.

• Joanne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Depression/mental illness of any kind, is pure hell on earth.
    There is very little quality of life, and each day is a struggle just to get through, so heavy heartedly, and fatigued, sometimes it's an effort just to breath. No laughter and no joy. No one can truly understand this unless you've experienced it.
    I've gone through shock treatments
    (very reluctantly because I was so scared of the treatments and the affects),
    all kinds of medications, and I'm one of the minority that meds. don't even help.
    This is an illness and it cannot be controlled, just like any other chronic illness. However, very unfortunately, we still have the stigma attached to it, as being nuts , you belong in the loonie bin , you're not playing with a full deck , you're retarded ,
    you haven't got all your ducks lined up in a straight row , you should be committed , and the list goes on.
    Would those sorts of comments be made to someone who has cancer or any other severe illness?
    This enormous, helpless, hopeless
    black hole can overtake anyone at anytime. We have no control over it
    whatsoever. If we did, would anyone
    choose this way of life ?
    Please, please STOP THE CRITICISM
    AND STIGMA ATTACHED TO MENTAL ILLNESS; That in itself, would be a huge help to those of us who do suffer with this horror.

• KEN
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

yes and other people know just how to use the system to their advantage,some people play the pitty card over and over to get just what they want

• R
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

• C
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• Bonnie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

I take medication daily for bi-polar,and have my days.

• Joanne
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

Depression/mental illness of any kind, is pure hell on earth.
    I've gone through shock treatments
    (very reluctantly because I was so scared of the treatments and the affects),
    This enormous, helpless, hopeless
    black hole can overtake anyone at anytime. We have no control over it
    whatsoever. If we did, would anyone
    choose this way of life ?
    Please, please STOP THE CRITICISM