Father and two children killed in train crash

The Canadian Press ~ The News

Tragedy

A woman whose husband and two children were killed when the vehicle they were in was crushed by a train says her surviving child is the only thing keeping her going.

"If I wasn't for him, I'd be gone, too," said Alana Baxter, referring to her two-year-old son John.

"I feel like that train hit me, too."

After telling them she loved them, Baxter whisked daughters Julianne, 9, and Coral, 7, out the door Tuesday. Her husband, John Baxter, was driving them to Winterburn elementary school in west Edmonton.

Edmonton -

"I feel like that train hit me, too."

Instead, Baxter's pickup was hit by a Via passenger train at a controlled crossing around 8:40 a.m. as drivers battled a blinding snowstorm.

CN Railway spokeswoman Kelli Svendsen said the tracks were equipped with warning lights and gates to discourage drivers from crossing.

"Indications are the lights and gates were functioning normally at the time of the incident," she said.

Karyn Hick was heading north and stopped to let the train pass. She saw the pickup crossing the tracks as the bars were coming down, she said.

"I heard a bang," Hick said. "And I (saw) a vehicle fly through the air. I thought maybe I was imagining it, but I looked in the ditch and the vehicle was in the ditch."

Alana Baxter first learned something was amiss when school staff called her to ask why her girls hadn't turned up for class.

Soon after, she learned of the horrific crash that killed her husband of 15 years and their daughters.

A longtime Oilers fan, John Baxter had just undergone brain surgery and was released from hospital a week ago, she said.

"He survived that," she said. "Then this happened."

CN was working to determine if speed, road conditions, the weather or the railway crossing signals were factors.

Organizations: Winterburn elementary school, CN Railway

Geographic location: Edmonton

Comments

Comments

• samantha
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

it probably sounds cruel,but i have to agree what was a man who just had brain surgery doing behind the wheel of a vehicle it's a terrible tragedy my heart breaks for the poor wife and mom.deepest sympathy.

• robroy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

As sad as this story is I can't help to ask questions.One of which is why the truck was crossing the tracks while the bars were comming down and another question is should a person who had brain surgery be driving a week after?
    I am saddened for the death of this man and his family but hate to think that his surgery could cloud his judgement that day

• holly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I know this is a very sad sad story, but i do agree with robroy from nl if this man had just got out of hospital a week ago from major brain surgery should he be drivin?????? I don't think so o mom it is ur responisibility to make sure ur kids r safe n they weren't safe with the dad drivin.

• Deb
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

It is unfortunate that when such an unfortunate and sad event as the loss of two beautiful children and a father that, without having all the information regarding the situation, some people, for example Holly Delaney, feel that not only do they have the right to make judgemental and injurious comments but they post them where grieving family members may see them. Perhaps this is a time where your opinion would be best kept to yourself or at least saying something supportive to the grieving wife and mother instead of tearing her down, especially when you don't have all the information! Would your life be better, if you supported people instead of being destructive?

• JB
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

I live in Edmonton, and on the day of the accident we were having a snow storm, mixed with freezing rain. The road conditions could play a major part in this tragic accident. Do not judge people for something you know nothing about.

• Jean...
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Whatever the reason, it happened...God Bless them all.

• samantha
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

• robroy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• holly
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• Deb
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• JB
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Jean...
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

Whatever the reason, it happened...God Bless them all.