Scoff and a scuff for Daffodil Place

Event offers dinner, dance, free massages

The annual Daffodil Place Dream Show is in its third year. It has moved venues from Holy Heart to Club One, and now the Holiday Inn and has been growing with every move.

"This year we wanted to do a little more, so we added in a three-course meal and our live music and a DJ. So there's the food and a dance," said David Barnes, an organizer with the event. He has been with the show since its beginnings.

The 2010 Daffodil Dream Show has been organized by (from left) Erin Power, Barry Green, David Barnes, Cleo Goodridge and Terri-Lynn Crocker. - Submitted photo

"First of all, there was myself and Terri-Lynn Crocker and Erin Power. The three of us went to the College of the North Atlantic together. We became good friends," said Barnes. "All three of us had members of our family who had been diagnosed with cancer.

"We knew we all liked to plan events, so we all wanted to plan an event and Daffodil Place, in 2008, was a big thing to raise money for, so we said why don't we do something for Daffodil Place."

Barnes said he and Power both had an uncle pass away as a result of cancer while they were in school.

"In August we had our first show and the day before the show, Terri-Lynn's aunt passed away with cancer. So it kind of made it more bittersweet, I guess," he said.

The trio were overwhelmed the night of the first event, but still had not reached their fundraising goal.

"We had a goal of $20,000 and we knew we really wouldn't reach it in our first year. So we said, let's keep doing it until we reach $20,000," Barnes said.

"Now we're into our third year and we should get past $20,000 with this show. We're thinking between $10,000 and $13,000 from this show alone."

With entertainment to include Leanne Kean, Siochana, Kilkenny Krew, the Vanier Chorale and DJ Baymen4Life, Barnes said he expected the grand total for the annual fundraiser to be between $22,000 and $23,000 at the end of its third go-'round.

It is all being done for the visitors to Daffodil Place.

"Daffodil Place is a program of the Canadian Cancer Society. It's part of the support services we offer to people in the province," said acting executive director of the Canadian Cancer Society, Scott Antle.

Like a hotel, guests pay a per-night fee to stay at Daffodil Place. However the Canadian Cancer Society contributes to keep the fees low. That will be part of what the funds from the Daffodil Dream Show will assist with, Antle said.

In addition to a scoff and a scuff, ticket holders to the Daffodil Place Dream Show can take part in a silent auction, said Barnes. "We've got a lot of paintings and prints, we've got hotel rooms and a lot of spa packages, handmade quilts," he said. "There's also free massages. That's from the Newfoundland and Labrador Massage Therapists Association."

The association is also one of the major sponsors for the event, providing a $1,000 donation in addition to their services.

"They jumped on board very quickly," Barnes said.

Other major sponsors are: Power Vac, Kento Windows and Doors, Bense Vision, Production Services Network and WINMAR.

Meanwhile, the 24-year old said his motivation to help the Canadian Cancer Society with the Daffodil Place project has not waned as the years have passed.

"It's greater than ever," said Barnes. "At the end of our first show, we felt so good doing what we did. We had a lot of pride. We want to get to our goal, basically in memory of our family members. We went through it and we know how other people feel and if we can make it a little easier for families staying at Daffodil Place, it's more than what money can give you."

Barnes said he would like to continue the fundraiser next year. "I would like to keep going, because Daffodil Place still needs the money," he said.

Meanwhile, tickets for the third annual Daffodil Place Dream Show are $40 and can be purchased now at Berg's ice cream in Mount Pearl or C.B.S., the website for the Daffodil Place Dream Show and at the front desk of the Holiday Inn in St. John's.

Due to the support provided by major sponsors, said Barnes, the event costs are covered and all proceeds from the ticket sales will go to the Canadian Cancer Society.

afitzpatrick@thetelegram.com

Organizations: College of the North Atlantic, Holiday Inn, Canadian Cancer Society

Geographic location: Newfoundland and Labrador, WINMAR, Mount Pearl St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Elaine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I'm so happy to hear that this group is doing something to help those who have to avail of The Daffodil. My father who recently stayed at The Daffodil is a Great Uncle to Leanne Kean. Thanks for making a difference to all who are helping people like my father and those who have to travel to St. John's for their treatment!

• Elaine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Jarge from Handout Cove, NL. It's obvious you don't know how to appreciate life and that you are one bitter person. Whether these people volunteer their time for such an important fundraiser are from the city or outside, there are those who have to travel to the city to avail of treatment. Yes, it would be nice if every nook and cranny has a cancer clinci, MRI machine, Radiation and Chemo Oncologists, but that's not possible. I have loved ones who have dreamed of only being able to avail of a place such as Daffodil as they had no one to turn to when traveling for treatment. My father for one is a country man who doesn't like city life, but I can assure you that he was entirely grateful to have had the opportunity to have stayed at The Daffodil Place. While there, he experienced people from all walks of life giving up their time to entertain the cancer patients like himself. There was dog therapy sessions, singers and actors that visited. Actually, he had a surprise visitor who was so kind enough to visit him even though my dad was a stranger to him. Through a simple email I had let the man know that my dad really enjoyed his shows but probably wouldn't make it to his show this year because he was undergoing radiation. The man who lives outside of the city while visiting his daughter took time out of his busy schedule to visit my father and it really meant a lot of him as well as our family. They performed in our town only a few days after my father arrived home from his treatment, but I can tell you that he was more determined to attend his show even though he was experiencing the tiredness from his radiation. This man gave my dad a more positive attitude as there were days that he wondered if treatment was worth it. Jarge, if people like you were more caring, then you may actually make a difference in someone's life. I'm sure these individuals who are volunteering their time no matter where they're from gain satisfaction of making a difference in someone else's life. I know it made my father feel more positive and eager to fight this dreadful disease. Shame on you Jarge and a pat on the back to those who want to make a difference. Take a walk in someone else's shoes Jarge. We will be forever grateful to those who cared.

• Anne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Ah Bill, I may be wrong but I was thinking that this Jarge guy was being sarcastic and pointing out that those outside the city are not putting of such a show themselves since they are the one who benefit. He didn't seem to be down on the St. John's group, but down on those communites outside the city.
    As I said I could be wrong, but that's how I read his comment.

• Jarge
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Bloody townies! Now they want to have a gala show to raise money all by themselves for 'our' accomadtions and not have a gala ouside the overpass so the people out here who use Daffdodil Place can raise the money instead ... Wait, but that means we don't have to raise money ... Ah, never mind my comment. ...

• Bill
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Jarge, I happen to know the 3 young people doing this show and they are not even from St. John's. It is people like you who kill dreams. If you would like something done in your area, you go for it! Thank you for everyone else who is supporting this group for a good cause and shame on anyone who thinks like Jarge.

• Elaine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Elaine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

• Anne
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

As I said I could be wrong, but that's how I read his comment.

• Jarge