Tickets issued to drivers failing to wear seatbelts

Staff ~ The Telegram

RCMP Traffic Services and MADD Canada volunteers conducted a traffic check stop late Tuesday afternoon in Bay Bulls.
More than 200 drivers were checked and no impaired drivers were detected during the check stop.
Several drivers, however, were charged for failing to wear their seatbelts.
The RCMP says that in 2009 six people died in Newfoundland and Labrador in vehicle collisions where the occupants in the vehicles were not wearing their seatbelt. Five of the deceased were ejected from the vehicles they were in.
Further vehicle check stops will conducted throughout the week as part of Canada Road Safety Week.

Organizations: RCMP, Canada Road Safety Week

Geographic location: Bay Bulls, Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• DanielMac
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

jeff, the minute our health-care system doesn't pay the hospital bills of people who are too stupid to put on their seatbelts, then you can decide for yourself to let your face hit the windshield. I don't imagine you'll insist on getting out your chequebook and paying your own way if you have to go to the hospital.

• Janice
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Maybe there should be more SPOT CHECKS near the College of the North Atlantic in Seal Cove. A white pick up truck nearly ran me down this morning... only for him to get to school twenty seconds before me. Gawd help him if HE'S not wearing a seat belt. If he'd crashed he would have been flung all the way to Carbonear for sure.

• Gotta
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Here's the solution:
    If somebody is injured in a crash and found to not be wearing a seatbelt, then MCP should NOT cover the medical costs. Take everything they've got to cover it.

• CoreyInNL
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Ok, a couple of comments from me:

How stunned do you have to be to not put on your seatbelt when you see a traffic check stop? You pretty much deserve it for being so stupid.

I am still a firm believer that wearing a seat belt should be ones choice. I just so happen to choose to wear one, I always have and always will. The very few times I get in and don't put on a seat belt immediately, it feels very uncomfortable. However, I do not think it should be mandatory. You're only hurting yourself, and I don't buy the bullshit that it costs people money if you get injured. The chances of that are slim at best, and the money spent to police it and pull people over for it far out-weighs the cost of care associated with lack of seat-belt related injuries. I have no numbers to back that up, but its just my gut feeling on it.

Glad to see them checking for impaired drivers though,

Now, if only they can start handing out tickets for unsafe driving that is witnessed every day through the city. Every morning I witness things like; Speeding in excess of of 120KM/h, failing to signal a lane change, weaving in and out of traffic, tail-gating, etc. For the past 4 months, I have seen exactly 1 RNC car on Pitts memorial drive during rush hours between downtown St. John's and TCH turn-off.

So, stop the above and you won't have to worry about injuries caused by lack of seatbelts.

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

With so many drivers that I continue to see not wearing seatbelts, using cell phones and speeding, I shouldn't be able to drive no more that a km and not see red lights flashing!

• FEd
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

It's one's choice to wear a seatbelt, I am also a firm believer of this as well...There is no one else to hurt but themselves for having not worn one...Utter foolishness that police waste time stopping people for this when there is so much more CRIME that we should be dealing with, not wearing a seatbelt is a crime that only affects the person not wearing it, spend your time chasing down the arseholes that are breaking and entering every night.

• Todd
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

To FEd Up:

What about other passengers in the car? What happens to them when a person not wearing a seatbelt is tossed around the car in the event of an accident? Contact the NL Safety Council and I'm sure they'll email you some nice videos of what can happen if you dont wear your seat belt.

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

To those commenters who think they are only hurting themselves by not wearing a seatbelt: it's true that you only hurt yourself if there is no one else in the car. But if there are others in the car, you become a human projectile that could seriously injure or even kill another person, if you get in an accident and are not wearing a seatbelt.

• Rich
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

If the police are going to be ticketing people for not wearing seatbelts & people being impaired or how ever you want to call it. Just park outside the mall entrances in non marked vehicles, & you will see people, returning from their lunches breaks, fixing their makeup, or flicking their hair, if this is not an impairment or distraction , well I don't what is. Just look at those people pulling away from drive through fast food joints, or all those coffee establishments, with both of there hands occupied with something, if that's not impairment, tell me what is. Alot otf the accidents especially with the fine weather starting is due to people being impaired due to a wide range of things, other than paying attention to the fact that they are behind the wheel of an vehicle. The enforcement officials needs to be viglant to all the forms of impairment. I am not condoning what most people think, when they hear of impairment, which is Alcohol related. I see everything as I mentioned above as being a form of impairment.

• Billy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Don't worry, Norm. I have it on good authority that Crash Test Dummies do not feel pain...

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I'm sorry but what purpose and right do MADD volunteers have to be at a Police Checkpoint.

It's nice to see that they little bit of power they think they have has gone straight to their head!!!

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Billy Maguire from Salem, Oregon writes: Don't worry, Norm. I have it on good authority that Crash Test Dummies do not feel pain

=================================

nor do they say a lot, actually they do not say anything, friggin dummies.

• Red
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Let Darwinism take care of the neanderthals who refuse to wear seatbelts.

• Really
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I've drive almost everywhere in the world. Newfoundland, BY FAR, has the worst drivers of anywhere I have been. The police need to get off their buts and give out tickets for the stupid things that people do that cause those accidents.

Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't matter much if you are not in an accident in the first place.

• penny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

excuse me J from all over ....the MADD volunteers are just that Volunteers ..and they conduct sobriety checks with the RNC & RCMP every year and sometimes a few times when the major holidays are here ...new years may 24th etc etc ...to remind the public of the dangers of drinking and driving ....why is it you are against this ???....i hope someday you will not have to see a family member get killed by someone who said ahhhh its only a coupla beer ...

• jeff
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

This is not fair. if I want to be ejected from my vehicle during a crash i should have that right. whats next, can't drink coffee and eat behind the wheel. what kind of country do we live in, really?

• Norm
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

As far as I'm concerned, police officers should forever be vigilant and looking for drivers (and passengers) not wearing seatbelts. It shouldn't take a so-called traffic check stop to issue tickets. In the meantime the video/dramatization that was shown on local television last week of the rollover accident should be deterrant enough: watching that crash test dummy fly out of that car and then be squished by the car was quite disturbing.

• DanielMac

July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

=================================

nor do they say a lot, actually they do not say anything, friggin dummies.

• Red
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

Let Darwinism take care of the neanderthals who refuse to wear seatbelts.

• Really