Catholic diocese collects $6m in drive to reach $18m for alleged abuse victims

The Canadian Press ~ The News
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The Diocese of Antigonish says it has collected about $6 million from parishes in a drive to find $18 million for its legal settlement with alleged victims of sexual abuse.
Rev. Paul Abbass, spokesman for the Catholic diocese, says individual totals from parishes won't be released until the end of the settlement process.
He says parishes will soon begin selling off assets to raise the remaining millions.
The diocese is trying to raise the massive sum to cover a $15-million class action settlement reached last year with alleged victims of sexual abuse from the 1950s to 2009.
Another $3 million is for claims by six other people.
Now about 600 non-core assets are potentially available for sale, meaning properties that are not a church, cemetery or rectory now in use.

Geographic location: Antigonish

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Jerome
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

    Price Waterhouse, some years ago did the only audit of the Vatican and it's holdings. The worth was in the triple didgit billions. Perhaps they should liquidate some holdings instead of seeking monies from the parishoners - the families of those thousands who were abused.

  • Jerome
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

    Price Waterhouse, some years ago did the only audit of the Vatican and it's holdings. The worth was in the triple didgit billions. Perhaps they should liquidate some holdings instead of seeking monies from the parishoners - the families of those thousands who were abused.