Eastern Health recognized for promoting a smoke-free environment

Staff ~ The Telegram

The Lung Association of Newfoundland and Labrador presented Eastern Health with a President's Vote of Thanks Award during the Lung Association's Volunteer Recognition Ceremony and annual general meeting held at the Swilers' Rugby Club in St. John's Thursday.
The award was given to Eastern Health in recognition of its contribution to lung health by promoting healthy breathing for all patients, clients, residents, visitors and staff, at its sites and offices.
"I would like to thank the Lung Association for choosing Eastern Health for a President's Vote of Thanks Award," said Vickie Kaminski, President and CEO of Eastern Health. "Eastern Health is committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for our staff and the people we serve. We believe the smoke-free environment policy is having a positive impact and this award confirms our decision and efforts to go smoke-free."
Paul Thomey, executive director for the Lung Association of Newfoundland and Labrador, said the lung association congratulates Eastern Health for its show of leadership in the fight against tobacco use.
"We have been very pleased to partner with Eastern Health throughout this project through the efforts of the Smokers' Helpline," he said.
In April, Eastern Health received a Certificate of Recognition from the Lung Association for its outstanding efforts in support of the Community Action and Referral Effort (CARE) program in 2009. Each year the Smokers' Helpline recognizes health care providers, community leaders and workplaces that are most active in referring individuals through the CARE program.

Organizations: Lung Association of Newfoundland and Labrador, Rugby Club, Community Action

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

They won an award for a campaign against the usage of cigarettes, a suicidal habit from which their financial overlords, the provincial government, receives a meaningful chunk of the money it uses to maintain their existence.....

Congratualtions on a truly is a surreal and hypocritical honour.

• Paula
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

From what I see it has stopped the employees from smoking on the grounds. I guess if they are caught they are suspended or fired. I don't see any attempt at stopping anyone else from smoking. I didn't even see a sign posted outside the Miller Center. I have a family member at the Health Science Centere. I see people smoking outside Almost everytime I visit.

• Trish
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I know where a lot of the smokers have gone, over on Long Pond by the bridge. There are 4 butt cans over there and not all of them make it to the can and you can tell they haven't been stepped on to make sure they are out.. This is a fire waiting to happen. It stinks over there and now the walkers using the trail have to deal with the smoke blowing in their faces while walking past, NICE!! I used to smoke, it's disgusting, dirty and smoking on a trail and trampling it and ruining the look of it is ok I guess, as long as they aren't on hospital grounds.

• Anne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

What a Joke. Eastern Health's policy on smoking has made them terrible neighbors! Their no smoking on Eastern Health property policy has moved the problem to their neighboring properties. I suggest Ms. Kamanski take a walk up to the bridge on the Pippy Park trail next to the Health Science Centre or drive up Portugal Cove Road by Hoyles Home. Employees of Eastern Health are spreading there litter on our park land and private residential properties.

• Seamus
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

The whole thing is a farce. First, Anne you are completely right. I am a smoker and my company has a no-smoking policy on property so all the smokers move to the adjacent property. Second, eastern health and every other government agency has no interest in stopping people from smoking. The tax collected on a pack of cigarettes more then pays for the health concerns caused by smoking and cancer fund raising is the biggest industry on this planet aside from oil. Speaking of oil, the biggest cause of cancer in this world is not second hand smoke, but the billions of tons of carcinogens being pumped into our environment everyday by cars and big industry. The government or our healthcare system refuses to mention this however because everybody is getting big time payoffs from the oil companies in the form of charitable donations and other slush funds. If you think this is a conspiracy theory, really think about what cause cancer. Carcinogens. Where do you find carcinogens? In any carbnon based chemical that is burned. What is oil? A big ol' hunkin chain of carbon.

• Bree
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Seamus, smoke ur head off I dont care. Just when ur finished ur dirty, rotten smelly, smoke, take the dirty, rotten smelly, butt with u rather than throw it on the ground. I am sick and tied of driving smokers throwing there garbage butts out the window

• amazed
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Seamus, Dale Gribble called, he wants his conspiracy theory schtick back.

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

Congratualtions on a truly is a surreal and hypocritical honour.

• Paula
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Trish
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Anne
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

• Seamus
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Bree
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• amazed
    July 01, 2010 - 19:45

Seamus, Dale Gribble called, he wants his conspiracy theory schtick back.