Vandals destroy tour boat, smash windows in Bay Bulls

Staff ~ The Telegram

An O'Brien's tour boat was burned badly by vandals early Saturday morning. Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

Police in Bay Bulls are investigating after someone went on a mini-crime spree in the Southern Shore town.
Officers and other emergency workers were called to a crane fire near the harbour early Saturday morning. Shortly after, officers received a call about another fire on the other side of the harbour in one of O'Brien's Boat Tours' boats.
The boat was severely damaged, officers say.
Police are also investigating several reports of smashed windows in the area including at an inn and the post office. All of the vandalism happened around the same time and it's believed that the same people were involved in the incidents.
Officers are investigating and arson is suspected as the cause of the fires.
Anyone with information about the vandalism is asked to contact
the Avalon East RCMP or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Organizations: Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Bay Bulls, Southern Shore

Comments

Comments

• m
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

I have written into this paper many times only to not have ANY of my comments printed and I DO agree to the terms of use. Is there a poblem?

• Donny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Look on the bright side. The other 150 or 200 tour boat operators in that little bay will have a busier summer and be able to hire some of the students for their operation, so it'a win win.

• Ron
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

This is a bad situation for the owners of O'Brien's Whale and Bird tours. Not only are they out a boat for the season but as many as 50 people work for the company during peak operating time, many of them students. Lets not forget they have been in business 26 years so I am sure they will continue to operate as per usual. The vandals should be made an example of.

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Big Deal. If they are caught nothing will happen to them except a smack on the wrist. Instead they should be sentence to long prison terms which should teach others to think twice before destroying property. However our wimp justice system will never allow that to happen.

• Ellen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Such a horrid crime. My family has spent summers in and around Bay Bulls and we always enjoyed our time on O'Brien's Boat Tours. I hope that repairs will be made quickly and the criminals responsible pay for their crimes.

• Eric
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

We visited the province last week and had a very enjoyable boat tour with a great tour operator Deidre who is a student and was very informative and even sang Newfoundland songs during the trip.

This vandalism is disgusting and I hope the company is able to bounce back quickly and that those vandals are punished.

• m
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

This is a sin. The people who did this should do not only jailtime but should be made to work on the boat once it's restored, without payment for the whole tourist season. To think that someone would do this to someone's livelyhood. Where are the parents?

• Liz
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Nothing but idol minds at play . If caught they should be made to work community service in the town for a year . But I myself would put them in jail for a long period of time.

• Anthony
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Really too bad to see this crap, grew up with these guys and sad to see this.

• Amanda from Labrador
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

My boyfriend gave me a trip on that boat for a graduation gift last year. It was one of the best times I've ever had... the first time I'd ever seen a Puffin and because I grew up in Labrador West, the first time I was ever on a boat that size! It was such a wonderful experience. I hope they come back bigger and better. That boat was a beauty too :(

• Anthony
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I betting young offenders are responsible, so charge the cost of damage to the Parents If they can't control their kids they have to pay the damage the kids cause;

• darls
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

hey donnie dooley...you should come to our LITTLE BAY'' sometime and see what a BIG welcome you get....take advantage of the other 2 tour boat operaters ...come to the club ...stay awhile...get informed before you MISINFORM the public about our Beautiful...Thriving...TOWN....

• Tedfromaway
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

A group of us had a very enjoyable trip on that boat last summer. Now the owners are out of a major source of income and a number of people will be out of work. If the guilty parties are caught and convicted they will get a slap on the wrist, or less if they are poor misunderstood young offenders. In some countries they would have their right hands chopped off as a warning to other jerks. Some times I wonder..............

• chris
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

How can they be made an example of when they are most likely minors and their names cannot be said as to protect them.

That is the problem in our society we are more concerned with protecting their identity than protecting the people of this province.

• concerned
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Once again we continue to see our justice system not working, when will people realize that discipline starts in the high chair, not on a chair in the courts. it is time for parents to start teaching their children respect for themselves and other people and their belongings. We recently had our car vandalized right in our driveway, it took the RNC over four hours to even call us, and then when we told him what happened, he laughed and told us we should expect things like that when the kids are not in school. Well Mr. Police Officer, maybe you can expect that from your kids, because I don't expect it from mine, or anyone else. Is the only place our children are responsible is in the walls of our schools, then we deffinately have more problems here than one realizes.

• Keith
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Once the Vandals are caught, no jail time or probation, but make them pay for the damages with their own sweat. Work and then past over the cash.... If they are minors, then make the parents pay up, then mabe they would then keep better tabs on their kids instead of letting them run around like wide animals and not caring what they do to others.

• Lena
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Liz, I hope you mean idle minds. And yes, this is the work of someone with no respect for property or someone else's livelihood, but there's definitely more to the story than we're seeing so far. I'm betting that booze plays a major role in why this string of events took place.

• m

• m
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Liz
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Anthony
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

Really too bad to see this crap, grew up with these guys and sad to see this.

• Amanda from Labrador