Stray dog found suffering from tumour

James
James McLeod

Heavenly Creatures says animal likely abandoned

When Jessica Rendell saw the dog at the Mount Pearl pound, she said she just had to help it.

P.J. was "skin and bones" and had a massive tumour on his rear.

Rendell, the president of Heavenly Creatures, contacted The Telegram because she wanted to draw attention to animal cruelty, and also in the hopes of raising money for P.J.'s operation.

P.J. was "skin and bones" and had a massive tumour on his rear.

"We're already blocked, we have almost a hundred animals in our care, and you can image we don't have a lot left over financially," she said. "But when you see an animal in that kind of shape, it's very hard to turn your back on him."

Heavenly Creatures is hoping to be able to raise the $2,000 needed to remove the tumour; the vet believes that the cancer has not spread, and if they remove the tumour, P.J. will be OK.

The dog was picked up by the Mount Pearl animal control officers, and Rendell said he was likely abandoned recently by someone.

"None of these animals fall out of the sky," she said. "I would say the odds are this time last week he was inside somebody's home and they didn't want him thought they couldn't his vet bills."

This latest incident comes after a spate of animal cruelty incidents.

A man in Deer Lake was arrested after allegedly putting kittens in a pillow case and stomping on them.

A cat found at the Grand Falls-Windsor dump was missing part of her tail and ears, and missing her upper teeth.

Meanwhile, in the House of Assembly politicians are debating a new Animal Health and Protection Act. The act promises beefed up penalties and tougher laws for people who abuse animals.

However, Rendell said since P.J. was found wandering there probably wouldn't have been a lot that could have been done in this case.

Moreover, she said, the laws are no good unless they're properly enforced.

"The government needs to hire people to enforce the animal protection act, because the laws that are there at the moment are not sufficient," Rendell said. "However, they offer some protection, and they're not being enforced."

jmcleod@thetelegram.com

Geographic location: Mount Pearl, Deer Lake

Comments

Comments

• patty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:28

This is a very sad story, but also very sad is the fact that vet bills are outrageously expensive! I had a dog for years and when he developed a skin condition that required blood work and xrays, pricey medicines and shampoos, I had to scrape up enough money to cover the costs. I felt guilty for not being able to take him to the vet every other week for check ups and refills of medicines...sad indeed.

• Anna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Too bad there isn't a death penalty for people who abuse animals.
    But I think for a populations as small as ours, you have the SPCA, Heavenly Creatures and Beagle Paws all competing for the same donations. Why don't we have one group - SPCA and why doesn't our government give them a set budget a year so they don't have to have dozens of fundraisiers to raise money?

• T
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

The pictures on the Facebook group for PJ are absolutely HORRIFYING! I've never ever seen anything like that in my life. I think sometimes we shy away from looking at the harsh reality of animal cruelty, but I'm certain that if everyone who read this story saw those photos, the donations to Heavenly Creatures would just pour in and the $2k needed for PJ's surgery and care would be covered in no time.

I'm so happy that an organization like HC exists. I myself volunteered with them for a couple of years and the work they do is incredible. They help the seemingly hopeless.

Jessica Rendell is nothing short of an angel.

• Tammy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I applaud Jessica and all that Heavenly Creatures does for abused/abandoned animals.

Part of helping these animals is fighting to make the laws a little tougher on those that abuse the animals and neglect their responsibilites as pet owners. It doesn't stop at raising the funds to help pay vet bills, food and supplies costs.

There wasn't 'only one solution' brought up in the story...read a little closer. She's asking for the publics help with funds AS WELL as stating that laws should be tougher.

As well, Heavenly Creatures relies on their Volunteer Foster Care program for caring for each animal that comes into their organization. This has proven far better on the animal than placing it in a building in a cage behind bars.

I myself have fostered for them many times when I had the space available. The animals in my experience have faired much better for the hands on experience. And funds weren't wasted on extra staff or a building for housing them.

None of these organizations seek vengence as you put it...they are just seeking justice for the animals that have suffered, and rightly so...these people should not go unpunished. Tougher laws would hopefully mean less abuse and less abuse. It's all apart of fighting for the animals.

• Save PJ!
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Anna: In theory your idea of merging the groups is a good one. There are reasons why it wouldn't work, however. The SPCA already gets government funding, in addition to fundraising for it's organization. Heavenly Creatures and Beagle Paws are entirely dependent on public donations. More significantly, Heavenly Creatures and Beagles Paws are no-kill organizations, meaning animals are not euthanized except in cases of incurable illness or violent aggression. The St. John's SPCA does not share this philosophy and unfortunately does euthanize a number of the animals in it's care. The need for multiple rescue groups is therefore unavoidable.

• elizabeth
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

you look at the vet bills..just to go in his office cost alot..the vets should have signs up about what things cost,,then maybe people could save up the money over a few months...i have asked the vets could u put up info for the cost...why won,t they

• Elaine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

All good indeed , Im just glad we are not talking about a child.

• Whyonly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Wow, there were incredibly negative and over sensitive comments.

First of all I adopted a pet from heavenly creatures. Second, the last paragraph highlights the need for better laws and enforcement which seems to be the gist of the article. As some of the comenters here admit the animals are in cages (at SPCA etc.) which is preferable to being abused but not ideal.

I have not heard of a single fundraiser for a farm for stray animals to live or a fund for surgery etc. They may be out there, if they are then make it more apparent in your fund-raising.

Here is Rendells quote - The government needs to hire people to enforce the animal protection act, because the laws that are there at the moment are not sufficient, Rendell said.

That is focus on getting people not helping animals. That is not entirely out of line. My point is that if it is all about the animals - make it all about the animals. Unlike people they do not understand justice.

• Pamela
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

The thought of someone putting kittens in a pillow case and stomping on them is so outrageous I can't really find the words to describe how I feel about it. The person is obviously mentally ill. Get some help you lunatic, geeze I think we need to get these people off the streets, I can only imagine what they would do to another human being if they were provoked enough. sick people. just sick sick sick. I would hate to be related to someone like that, absolutely embarassed to be associated with the person.

• Ahduck
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

T'S NOT A TUUUUMAAAAH!

• Leah
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

If a person or family cannot afford to properly care for an animal financially, even if you love it dearly, you should not have a pet.
    That's the position I am in. I would
    absolutely love to have a small dog
    or cat, even more so because I live
    alone.
    My heavens, please just don't abandon them. They have feelings, and they are as helpless as a baby.

• Amanda
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I believe that anyone who maliciously harms an animal should be dealt with the same as if they were to do harm to a human. Animals are the equivalent to children in the all too true fact that most times they are unable to defend themselves against acts of cruelty. The government/law enforcement should be doing more to protect the victims by having harsher laws that would make people think twice about commiting these acts for violence/cruelty. Criminals such as these get away with too much and it's time to suck it up and take a stand - laws are supposed to protect the innocent not cater to the rights of the criminal or wrong doer.

• Save PJ!
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Whyonly one solution: Heavenly Creatures has nothing to do with the legislation that is being enacted. The organization is entirely funded by donations and run by volunteers, and their sole focus is to help unwanted animals like PJ by providing them with safe foster homes, and vet care; and by finding permanent homes for them. Getting vengeance as you put it, is not part of their agenda. Their only goal here is to help PJ, not hold his neglectful owner accountable. That is for the law to do, and hopefully the new legislation will make people think twice before they abuse or neglect their pets.
    In the meantime, people should be grateful that organizations like Heavenly Creatures are here to help clean up the mess made by these people.

• Roxanne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

First of all, anyone who knows Jessica Rendell and the Heavenly Creatures Organization, know that all their work is volunteer, this makes this organization special in its own right.

Secondly the fact that even after all the media attention over the past few months regarding animal abuse, it seems like it does not phase the public, it looks like the more animal abuse we hear about in the media the more people are abusing/neglecting their pets.

Why do you think this is so??? Well we look at past experience and the lack of laws out there to protect these animals, and more importantly, the lack of convictions for the animal abusers. The public is not afraid of the laws because at the moment they are a joke.

Enacting legislation is one thing, using this legislation to make people pay for their actions is another. Legislation is a joke if there are no officers in place to enforce the laws.

When someone kills a moose for food on their table without a license they are subject to jail time and a fine, yet when someone stomps on a cat just because he is an idiot, may get a $50 fine....Does anyone else see the irony in this???

• Whyonly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Why is the only solution any one comes up with are tougher laws on these delinquents. I am not against it but how does that help the abused dog or cat? br I think the focus of heavenly creatures etc. should be to fund raise for a place for dogs / cats that have been abused. Hire staff that can watch and take care of these animals. Fund raise to pay vets so that when an emergency surgery is need there are funds to cover that. br br I am a pet owner and think these people are dirt, but, the animal does not care about a jail term they need a place to feel safe and be feed. br br That should be the main goal, let the politicians and legislators make new laws (how can any one argue with tougher laws on people who stomp on kittens?). br br I think these organizations instead of vengeance should seek and fund-raise for the animals. br br Vengeance / justice is to make the people feel better not the animal.

• M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

to Whyonly Onesolution, heavenly creatures does fundraise so animails can have safe places, and can go get veterinary care. They have a slew of good homes that foster abandoned cats and dogs. They have a website practically begging for donations to helop animals, all with pictures and the animals stories posted, along with a link to make a donation via paypal. Not only does heavenly creatures do it, so does the SPCA. And while I'm more inclined to like Heavenly Creatures because of their no kill policy,, the SPCA has a shelter for the animals, and it may not be the nicest place, but the staff there, and the volunteers there treat the animals extremely well and try oto find them good homes and try to raise money for vet bills.

• patty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:16

• Anna
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

Too bad there isn't a death penalty for people who abuse animals.

• T
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

Jessica Rendell is nothing short of an angel.

• Tammy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Save PJ!
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• elizabeth
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Elaine
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

All good indeed , Im just glad we are not talking about a child.

• Whyonly
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

Wow, there were incredibly negative and over sensitive comments.

• Pamela