Comments

Comments

• S
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

We need a thorough review of our educational system: practices, principles, expenditures.

Why do we still run the system around schedules determined by the labour requirements for farm harvests and fish salting? We need to look at a serious 12 month a year system.

Why are the textbooks dumber using a smaller vocabulary and simpler concepts than 20 years ago? Why do text books have such little text at all? Why are so many students pushed through without actually being educated? Why are so many high school students graduating with useless general diplomas?

The amount of money spent per student has close to doubled in 7 years. Are we receiving double the education? Guess again!

And we need to curb the power of the NLTA. It's a hopeless conflict to place senior teachers (often former NLTA presidents) as Ministers, Deputy Ministers and ADMs. Where do the new ideas come from? How will reforms finally come to pass?

We need to examine, debate and scrutinize the education system as much or more than we do the health care system.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Is it time to bring God and religion back into the classroom?

'We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive' (C. S. Lewis).

• Former Mt Pearl Student
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

In the first week of classes every year at Mt Pearl Jr/Sr High, Mr Coombs would call a welcome back assembly for the students. In the assembly, he would spend what seemed like an eternity talking about RESPECT. At the time, I would understand but, at the same time, try to figure out why he was going on for so long about the one subject. I have come to realize, (many years later) that RESPECT is the foundation of our world. Our world today is missing this important foundation.

Mr Coombs, thank you for your important words that are engraved in my mind. I hope all of the other thousands of students that heard your same speeches, take your words to heart. I congratulate you on your retirement and wish you all the best.

• Karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

LOL! Are there any boarding schools we can see our teens to - send them off from the age of 13 to 18 - and we'll have them back when they're all grown up! Hey Colonels - May be the army could look into your own private schools...HeHeHe

• My3Cents
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

In a CBC radio interview this past week he praised the current government on investing a lot of money in education as opposed to previous governments. I wonder is a run for Team Danny too far off. Hmmm............

• dee gee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

The problems stem alot from the parents. Today it's all about the money and the toys for the grown ups. The father is away working and the mother is also working, when the kids come home there isn't a soul at home,only the kid's xbox or some other form of entertainment. It's time to change and concentrate on our most valuable, our kids. I did , I got less money but I've alot more time with my children the way my parents had time for me.

• Karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Yes, I agree Dee Gee. We, the parents, created our own demise with our kids - buying them $500 ipods - paying out contracts on cellphones and handing it over to our teens. Mr. Coombs pointed out the even the nicest kids go BALLISTIC when cellphones are taken away...shocking.

• Bea
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I applaud Mr. Coombs on a classy interview that identified many of the problems facing youth today without rashly pointing fingers or making outlandish statements.

I was at Macdonald Drive for Mr Coombs' first year as principal and I can say for sure that he has done a lot to help the school and its students in his time there. He has realized that the traditional approach to education is not adequate, and that as society evolves, educators must evolve as well. Congratulations on a successful career.

the vice-principal, Mr. Clift on the other hand...

• Nope
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

He says there are likely a myriad of causes, such as intense bullying, family turmoil or drugs.

All of those things were around 25 years ago. Try again.

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Excellent article. I truly believe too much is expected of today's youth academically and not enough control is given to the teachers. We need to stop supplying students with the cell phones at school before they lose their social skills. At first they would call each other from down the corridor and talk but now they don't even do that...talking is becoming a thing of the past and texting has replaced it. If a student needs to call someone,go to the office or use the pay phone and talk...really... we as parents are creating these problems, As for the mental issues...pressure to get work completed, pressure to have the latest equipment, pressure in dressing right, pressure to fit in...its all pressure for that age group. The school needs to lessen the workload and make extra curricular compulsary...help these kids belong. I thick cell phones should be ban from the school.

• frank
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Gee, think he's going to run again in whatever election happens to come up next? I'm sure there are plenty of teachers and principals who retired this week, yet its this guy who has his face splashed all over the paper and TV. Its far too obvious what he's trying to do...won't have my vote.

• Karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Mr. Coombs commented that texting is a constant battle in school - why isn't it a rule (like no smoking) that they're not allowed in school? I don't understand -the office have phones if they wish to call home. Other workplaces don't allow them. If it's not complied with, have them taken away and call the parents. There's so much cyper-bullying going on and these devices only contribute to it. As he says, they don't have the maturity to deal with such things as technology advances (and other things) - it's way beyond their years. It's consuming their whole well-being and causing such issues as major depression. Oh my god! Eastern School District needs to look at this issue.

• Maxine
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Mr. Coombs was my teacher at Mount Pearl Central High back when he was a rookie teacher. He was always one of the best, easy to talk to, and had great printing, always the best notes in Coombs class, no problem to read what was on the board! :)

He was involved with EVERYTHING and was always around for a student that needed extra help or just had a question in the hall.

Congrats on making it and happy retirement.

Maxine Elliott
    Mount Pearl Central High Class of 82

• Political Watcher
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

I am sure that there are many retiring from the education system this year so why single out Coombs. It seems that since he lost his seat on Council, the local media or Coombs himself, always frin some trivial reason to cover him.
    Too bad the coverage wasn't as indepth when he was on Council, maybe Mile One would have made a buck and we would still have hockey.

• S
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• John
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

Is it time to bring God and religion back into the classroom?

• Former Mt Pearl Student
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Karen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• My3Cents
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• dee gee
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Karen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Bea
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

the vice-principal, Mr. Clift on the other hand...

• Nope
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

All of those things were around 25 years ago. Try again.

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• frank
    July 01, 2010 - 19:51

• Karen
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

• Maxine
    July 01, 2010 - 19:48

Congrats on making it and happy retirement.

Maxine Elliott