Comments

Comments

• I buy
    July 20, 2010 - 13:03

Outlaw the Pharmacy Board. This is the worst thing this province has ever done for the health care of the people in this province. They dictate what you can and can not take. It is a monopoly that has created more harm then good. This government wants people on welfare. Preventing access to medications that allow people to continue to work is criminal.

• Lisa
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I work for a generic pharma manufacturer and we struggle with short supply of many products. Backorders are a complex issue and it is in no way a price fixing situation, as Seamus suggested. Manufacturing drugs is a very complex process and there are very tight rules around their release to the public. If something is not up to scratch, all batches are rejected and not released for sale. This is to keep everyone safe. It can take months for scientists to resolve the drug manufacturing issues and be ready to try another batch with different recipes or ingredients. No pricing conspiracy...just quality first.

• Curtis
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

@seamus... I don't think you understand the situation as demonstrate by your comment. Whether a drug is backordered or not, ther price stays the same as the gov't sets the price. The only time costs would go up is to switch to brand name and then it is increased costs to people, lost sales to generic manufacturers, and brand name companies depositing a large cheque. There is no benefit for a generic manufacturer to have a back order. Unless of course the thought of moving generics away from ON and PQ to the other provinces that pay a more reflective cost would occur. This issue is plaguing the whole country, so that goes out the window. Regulated prices do not go up.

• I will not be a victim
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

If people would stop double-doctoring and the pharmacies monitored this practice more closely,maybe there wouldn't be a shortage.Then the people who NEED medication can get it,not just those who get prescriptions to SELL. I overheard someone at work the other day complaining that they had to actually get out of bed and go to the doctor to get a prescription for Percocet,and that thye would not bother getting out of bed except that they were going to sell the pills for $100.All you have to do is look for the clinics with the line-ups outside to see where the abuse is going on.

• Annette
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

I went to get my medications today and they didn't have enogh. I have to wait until Monday to get it. I always get mine refiled a few days early so waiting until Monday is not big deal for me. But I can see if they have to wait longer then that or those who wait until they are down to their last pill before getting it refiled that this could cause a problem for them.

• Seamus
    July 20, 2010 - 13:02

Sounds to me like a great example of manipulating supply and demand and price fixing (Both highly illegal but nearly impossible to prove). You have a so called bad batch that you have to toss and then the price of the existing product on the shelf goes up. Next good batch you have the prices stay up because that is what the consumer is used to paying. All the pharmaceutical companies take a hit from time to time for the good of the whole. Their revenues continue to rise annually and they are putting less product on the shelf and thus have less overheard and a higher profit margin.