Comments

Comments

• Andre Laperle
    April 23, 2012 - 15:28

Lately reaserchers have found Haplogroup C1e in IcelandI! Haplogroup C1 being a native American group, questions arise to understand provenance of this haplogroup in Iceland ! One theory is that the Vikings had left the continant with Natives from Newfoundland 500 years before Europeans arrival! If so could the Beothuks have carried haplogroup C? If I recall group C is presently nonexistent in northern Innuit! So can we presume Haplogroup C either found their way to Greenland and then Iceland, or there were intermingling with Vikings? I have tested with Ftdna and I have three full Mtdna sequence haplogroup C1c matches from the east coast ! Presumably MI'kmaq ? But most Mi'kmaq ancestry are haplogroup A! Where the Beothiks Haplogroup C?

• Wapi
    December 13, 2011 - 08:48

Here's a question for the geneticists and researchers studying the ancient DAN of the Beothuk remains: how long does it really take to analyze 20 skeletons? Family Tree DNA offers a 500 000 SNP test for clients at a rate of 199.00 American, with a test result turnover in 6-8 weeks max. McMaster University along with Provincial Medical Genetics has been studying, on record at least, according to censored information released to the general public, the sample collection for at least 5-6 years, if not longer. Are people naive enough to believe that they stopped with the mtDNA and YDNA of Nonosabasutt and Demasduit, which was published in 2005 (completed about 2-3 years beforehand)-I think not, of course they had a peep at the other samples before securing government and private sector funding. But the public does not know about this bureaucratic behind-the-doors consultation and secrecy. Its time for the Beothuk Institute to update its website on current news on the DNA study, open its books to the general public regarding source funding, operating budgets to give accountability and responsibility for its cash flow and spending on these exobrbitant research projects. The fact is that the study has been going on now for what at least 10 years. Isn't it time to put the final test results out int he public domain. Under freedom of information and access to public information as well as peer academic review, we have a right to see this final published research paper. According to an article published int he Evening Telegram in the first week of July 2011, the DNA was extracted in the end of June 2011 (on record). Isn't it time to let it go and get it over with, rather than sitting on the results! If they have nothing to hide, then why not release the results under full and open disclosure? Let it go and move on I say , for God's sake! End the procrastination and behind-the-scenes secrecy.

• Dr. Lloyd Ryan
    October 30, 2011 - 02:05

There ARE numerous families with Beothuck ancestry in the Notre Dame Bay area, particularly in, but not exclusively to, the area around Roberts Arm and Long Island. We, from that area, have known that "for ever." But the story is MUCH more interesting than we have believed, thus far.

• White Hair
    November 13, 2010 - 09:58

Here's a link on some challenges in using autosomal dna for testing native ancestry beyond five generations. http://spittoon.23andme.com/2009/04/23/new-23andme-lab-searches-genome-for-native-american-ancestry/

• Jeddore
    September 06, 2010 - 17:04

I am L'nu from here in Taqamkuk and through my uprising I've heard stories about our people's interactions with the Pitawqewaq of this island, which included instances that occurred after the death of the 'last' Pitawqewaq. I would really like to share my stories from our point of view with this man and would like to get in touch with him!

• wavy
    September 06, 2010 - 10:00

Well said, Don. Like you, I've often wondered about European and Beothuk "intermingling", shall we say. Admittedly, I don't know as much about the Beothuks as I'd like to, but I don't think the idea is preposterous at all. I think there is a very real possibility of an existing bloodline of Beothuk/ European descent among us. I've even questioned my own family's involvement/ interaction with the Beothuk people. I have traced my family tree far enough to discover my English ancestors first settled in the Exploits Island area of Notre Dame Bay in the 1600's, which was the "neighborhood" of the Beothuk in their heyday, and not far from the Boyd's Cove Beothuk archeological site and interpretation centre (which is really well done, BTW, and interesting for all ages, for those who have not yet visited). Not to be flippant, but I can't see how my ancestors and the Beothuk did NOT interact with one another, either peacefully or otherwise. It's not hard for me to imagine my ancestors participating in either the genocide of the Beothuk or, as Don suggested, conjugation by consent or otherwise. It would be VERY interesting to know if such a bloodline, however diluted, exists. Might explain my love of "roughing-it" style camping, hiking and exploring the woods and outdoors!

• Don
    September 04, 2010 - 09:46

Many consider the thought of a Beothuk ancestry amongst the living Newfoundland population to be a preposterous idea. I have heard rumors that a family with Beothuk ancestry exists in Newfoundland. John Guy wrote about his encounter with the Beothuk and described their physical appearance in detail including that their hair was diverse, some black, some brown, some yellow. Some have dismissed this observation of the Beothuk by postulating that the Beothuk dyed their hair with red or yellow ocre. However, the more likely reason for their diverse hair color was as a result of genetic intermingling of the European fishermen and the Beothuk women either by consent or otherwise. Accordingly, there may in fact be Newfoundlanders alive today whose ancestors may have been of the Beothuk race. There are 12 known skeletal remains of Beothuks in storage at The Rooms. It appears there is resistance to having these remains subjected to DNA testing. Why? It may be that this very small genetic sample may prove that there were interracial genetic relations between the Europeans and the Beothuk which produced mixed race offspring some of whom may have ancestors living today. Far fetched you say. Well, let's perform some DNA analysis of Beothuk remains. While only a very small sample of Beothuk remains are available for testing it may successfully show that the Beothuk and the European settlers in Newfoundland were related in some cases. Newfoundland History is mostly myth, folklore, legend and misinterpretation. Let's see some real science prove what our history really was!