Party launches new ‘Republic of Doyle’ season

Tara
Tara Bradbury

Hundreds of fans turn up to celebrate popular show’s second year

To watch videos, CLICK HERE

Video 2, Click Here

Video 3, Click Here

Video 4, Click Here

There isn’t a typical “Republic of Doyle” fan, according to the guest list for Wednesday night’s Season 2 premiere in St. John’s. An invitation-only event held at the Majestic Theatre, actors from the show mingled with crew members, Crown attorneys and politicians — and one special fan, in particular.

As show star Allan Hawco was speaking to The Telegram, a man approached him with a cardboard CBC-TV poster for the show, bearing Hawco’s picture in full colour.

“Premier Dunderdale is taking this poster, and she’s wondering if you could sign it for her,” the man said.

Hawco pulled out a Sharpie and obliged, writing, “Thank you for your continued support.”

A large screen set up on the stage was tuned to CBC-TV, and when the show started, the crowd went quiet.

Maybe it was the resolution of character Malachy Doyle’s life-or-death cliffhanger from last season that enthralled them; maybe it was Jake Doyle’s running around Gower Street in his underwear.

Whatever the case, the party stopped while the show was on, only coming to life again after a round of applause at every commercial.

During the show, Hawco stayed near the middle of the room, watching silently and intently with a furrowed brow.

“It’s not something you can enjoy — you’re in the middle of watching it and you’re trying to judge whether or not people are liking it,” he said afterward. “You’re trying to feel out what the energy in the room is. It’s not like it was the first time I’d ever seen it. I’ve been living with that episode and all those episodes for so long now, and I don’t feel like we missed anything. It’s been a really exciting night.”

The episode picked up where last season left off without missing a beat, starting in right away with the scenic shots of downtown, punches in the face, bickering between the Doyle men, and Jake’s smooth talking for which “Republic of Doyle” has come to be known.

In addition to the regular cast, this season has a number of well-known guest stars, including Gordon Pinsent, Paul Gross and Great Big Sea’s Alan Doyle, who plays a convict in Episode 2.

“It’s just a little small part, but it’s great fun,” Doyle said.

“I love the way St. John’s looks in it and I love the way the guys never, ever allowed it to be a small, good-for-local kind of thing. This is an internationally excellent show, and I think that’s awesome.”

Members of St. John’s city council also have small roles in the season finale, as extras in a pub scene.

Health Minister Jerome Kennedy told The Telegram he’s a fan of the humour and acting in the show, and sees it as an asset to the province on a few different levels.

“It’s certainly proving to be a great investment on the part of the province from a cultural perspective, a financial perspective, but most importantly to showcase our province and our talent,” he said.

Hawco said he’s humbled by the praise and just hopes Newfoundlanders and Labradorians feel it’s their project as much as it is his.

“I know that we’re really proud of it and we hope that everyone else feels they’re a part of it too. I hope everyone was able to enjoy themselves and I hope they watch it,” he said.

“Republic of Doyle” airs on CBC-TV Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m.

tbradbury@thetelegram.com

Twitter: tara_bradbury

Organizations: CBC, Majestic Theatre, Great Big Sea

Geographic location: Republic of Doyle, Gower Street

Comments

Comments

• Barb
    March 21, 2012 - 21:34

My husband really liked the Crown attorney - Allison. Either we missed it or the show never said why she wasn't back this year. Does anyone have any idea what happened to her?

• Sharon Hopkins
    January 15, 2011 - 13:55

I simply just Loves the show , the action , the humor, all the character's . It's truly My favoriate show and I just can't wait for Wed nights... I even watched it on Thursday as soon as I got home my work on my computer... I only wish I had seen about the contest when they where in Toronto ... well my be I'll see Jake and the crew in St.John's sometime ...as I plan to come back to the most fascinating province in Canada... Oh and not too forget about this Wed night with Alan Doyle planning a character. My favoriate show, and favoriate Band GBS... " Life is Good " Love ye All , All the Best in 2011 from Owen Sound ON

• Kelly
    January 14, 2011 - 08:42

Really not liking the narration, really takes away from the show.....caused me to lose interest real fast.......really enjoyed the show in Season 1, not too sure about Season 2 with narration.....any chance this will be removed, really interferes with the show.

• winter
    January 13, 2011 - 09:40

Naratives explaining the actions???? Not on my TV, could you be referring to an option that can be changed on your TV called closed captioning?

• Scott Free
    January 13, 2011 - 09:20

I have an idea for a future episode of Da Republic...Jake is hired to investigate allegations that a high-ranking minister of the crown has sent a henchman to intimidate a potential leadership candidate....oops, wait now, too far-fetched, nobody would believe that stuff still goes on.....

• Jon
    January 13, 2011 - 08:42

Hats off to everyone involved with making this show happen. Great job.

• McLovin
      January 17, 2011 - 13:35

TO MARIE: I used to have ALIANT DIGITAL TV and had the same problem and it was a button that I had accidentally hit on my remote. I cant really remember which button it was now but I think on the Aliant Remotes, there is an "A", "B", "C" and "D" button. I'm pretty sure it was the C Button, but if that doesnt work, try them all. Hope this helps

• been thinking
    January 13, 2011 - 08:22

Story plot is strong with several different characters to follow, the action coupled with the scenery is awesome, it's a second year hit already. Congrats

• Marie
    January 13, 2011 - 08:09

I watched some epiodes last year and decided to watch all of them this year but turning it on last night, I found out that they now have narratives, explaining all the action. Was this the same last season? I HATE that - I used to watch another show on HGTV but they started doing the same thing and I can't watch that one either. Please, those narratives are not necessary!!

• RoD Fan
      January 13, 2011 - 09:20

Marie, you have it on the wrong channel, I think the one you watched is for the visually impaired. I did that by mistake one time and realized it later. Check your channel guide and find the official CBC channel.

• RDFAN
      January 13, 2011 - 09:44

Note to Marie---Check your "Closed Captioned" settings. It appears they might be on if you are picking up "writing" on the screen.

• Jeff Power
      January 13, 2011 - 10:38

You are most likely either watching the descriptive video version of CBC on your satellite provider, or have the SAP (Second Audio Program) set on your TV. This is not the normal way the show would appear, it is for visually impaired people so they understand the action, and lies in your setup, not the show or CBC.

• Marie
      January 13, 2011 - 18:47

Thanks for your advice Rodfan but it's not a visual narrative, it's where a person is describing the action for instance, "so and so walks up the stairs to the front door", that's the type of narrative I mean. I have regular cable so it's not a visually impaired channel.

• ROD Fan
    January 13, 2011 - 07:44

Congrats, great show last night (as always)...can't wait for the rest of Season 2!!